Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is "Autopilot Safety Features" versus "Autopilot"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello -- new member trying to figure out if this car has "Autopilot" or something less. The car is 2018 Long Range Dual Motor Model 3 - it was first registered in November 2018.

Thanks!

Model3Autopilot.jpg

If it had autopilot I believe it would say so, so the answer is "no, that car does not have autopilot". Autopilot did not come standard on vehicles until after april 2019. In 2018, "autopilot" did not exist as a package. You either had nothing, or enhanced autopilot (EAP). If the car had EAP It would also say so. You can expect that car to NOT have any of the autopilot features.

==========================================

Active Safety Features​

Active safety features come standard on all Tesla vehicles made after September 2014 for elevated protection at all times. These features are made possible by our Autopilot hardware and software system and include:

• Automatic Emergency Braking: Detects cars or obstacles that the car may impact and applies the brakes accordingly
  • Forward Collision Warning: Warns of impending collisions with slower moving or stationary cars
  • Side Collision Warning: Warns of potential collisions with obstacles alongside the car
  • Obstacle Aware Acceleration: Automatically reduces acceleration when an obstacle is detected in front of your car while driving at low speeds
  • Blind Spot Monitoring: Warns when a car or obstacle is detected when changing lanes
  • Lane Departure Avoidance: Applies corrective steering to keep your car in the intended lane
  • Emergency Lane Departure Avoidance: Steers your car back into the driving lane when it detects that your car is departing its lane and there could be a collision
Active safety features are designed to assist drivers, but cannot respond in every situation. It is your responsibility to stay alert, drive safely and be in control of your car at all times.

========================================

As a reminder, autopilot features (and FSD) are as follows, none of which appear to be on that vehicle:

=======================================

Autopilot​

• Traffic-Aware Cruise Control: Matches the speed of your car to that of the surrounding traffic
  • Autosteer: Assists in steering within a clearly marked lane, and uses traffic-aware cruise control

Full Self-Driving Capability​

• Navigate on Autopilot (Beta): Actively guides your car from a highway’s on-ramp to off-ramp, including suggesting lane changes, navigating interchanges, automatically engaging the turn signal and taking the correct exit
  • Auto Lane Change: Assists in moving to an adjacent lane on the highway when Autosteer is engaged
  • Autopark: Helps automatically parallel or perpendicular park your car, with a single touch
  • Summon: Moves your car in and out of a tight space using the mobile app or key
  • Smart Summon: Your car will navigate more complex environments and parking spaces, maneuvering around objects as necessary to come find you in a parking lot.
  • Traffic and Stop Sign Control (Beta): Identifies stop signs and traffic lights and automatically slows your car to a stop on approach, with your active supervision
  • Upcoming:
    • Autosteer on city streets

Really? How many car accidents, specifically, has it caused for you?
I see, so if it doesn't cause an accident, it is reliable ?
If the intent of the system is to reduce accidents, and you can't cite examples of it failing in that intent, then it seems to be doing its job.

Teslas accident rate in general is vastly lower than other common brands.
What I'm saying, I can't count the numbers of time where I put my turn indicator with the intent to change lane, a car is coming behind me and the car is not not warning me. Sometimes it does, sometime it doesn't. Of course I am not getting hit because I checked above my shoulder before changing lane.
But the system is not reliable.

Reactions: idmfc
I can confirm the blind spot monitoring in Model 3 is the worst I’ve ever seen. Toyota, Honda, Mazda, Hyundai, and basically every other entry level car all have real blind spot monitoring that displays a light in the mirror when cars are in your blind spot and will beep if you turn on the turn signal with a car there. Dead simple, and 100% reliable with rear radar.

Tesla will show you a car highlighted red in the center screen when your signal is activated (which should be the last place you’re looking during a lane change) and beep only after you physically start moving into the other lane and collision is imminent. But since there’s no rear radar, it’s using vision only and I have had instances where the mcu shows nothing in my blind spot. Yes it’s better than nothing, but not by much IMO.

This is the biggest gripe I have with my M3. It frustrates me every time I’m in friends vehicles that cost less than half the price and come standard with this awesome feature. Yeah people have been driving without it for decades, but that’s not the point. The most technologically advanced car should have this basic feature.

• Love
Reactions: danarcha
The thing is, most of the fancy systems of the car are not reliable.
The system which won't let you drift out of lane, I keep it off since the few times I used it, it was not working properly. The anti collision system : it usually beeps after you passed the obstacle. The wipers : don't start me on this one.
The connection to the car when you try to start charging when your car is at the airport for instance, it is a 50/50 chance.
Also, the number of times you have to open the back door of the car before you can actually open the front door !
The screen will reboot during your drive with no reason, and no I didn't touch the scrolling button.
And I won't mention the AP or FSD since I didn't buy it but obviously, a lot of folks on this forum have issues.

And all those events keep happening since 2018 no matter how many versions of software I went through.

That said, have no regret buying the car cause I like the way it looks, I love the way it drives, the sc network is the best and the range is nice, but all the high tech things...it is a joke !

Last edited:
The thing is, most of the fancy systems of the car are not reliable.

You keep claiming this.

Yet statistics show accident rates in Teslas are vastly lower than other brands of cars.

How is that possible if the safety systems are less reliable than those cars?

Are Tesla owners just magically vastly vastly better/safer drivers than other brands?

The system which won't let you drift out of lane, I keep it off since the few times I used it, it was not working properly. The anti collision system : it usually beeps after you passed the obstacle. The wipers : don't start me on this one.
The connection to the car when you try to start charging when your car is at the airport for instance, it is a 50/50 chance.
Also, the number of times you have to open the back door of the car before you can actually open the front door !
The screen will reboot during your drive with no reason, and no I didn't touch the scrolling button.
And I won't mention the AP or FSD since I didn't buy it but obviously, a lot of folks on this forum have issues.

Have you been in for service?

I've had mine since 2018 and had 0 of those problems ever. Maybe there's something wrong with yours.

Reactions: WhiteWi
Yes, I had the mobile service checks the connection issue several times and no joy.
Now, if you had 0 of those issues it is a miracle or hard to believe.
Obviously lots of folks experimented those issues as you can read on this forum.
And yes, the simple light on the mirror I used before is a lot more reliable.

For the stat, I am not sure where you're getting your numbers from. Hopefully they are accurate.

Yes, I had the mobile service checks the connection issue several times and no joy.
Now, if you had 0 of those issues it is a miracle or hard to believe.
Obviously lots of folks experimented those issues as you can read on this forum.
And yes, the simple light on the mirror I used before is a lot more reliable.

But that doesn't make any sense.

Displaying it on the mirror, or on the center screen, doesn't make one "more reliable" than the other.

And both can be set to beep of course too.

For the stat, I am not sure where you're getting your numbers from. Hopefully they are accurate.

There's multiple sources on this.

Tesla published their own data-

The do this every quarter.

For example Q1 2021, Teslas driven with just active safety features (no AP or FSD) recorded one accident every 2.05 million miles driven.

NHTSA data says all cars of all brands average one accident ever 484,000 miles.

Meaning Teslas with active safety (but no AP or FSD) crash over 4 times less often mile for mile than the average car.

But if you don't like their data here's data from UK insurance info, showing Tesla accidents again VASTLY on the low end of the spectrum. They list the 10 worst and 10 best brands of car, by accidents per 10,000 cars on the road.

Tesla is over 10 times less likely to have an accident than the worst brands like Renault and Ford... and still more than 6x less likely to be in an accident than #10 on the list (Audi).

How's that possible if the active safety features are unreliable on Teslas?

ukcrashes.jpg

Except perhaps Infiniti (which still scores ~3.5x worse than Tesla) all the other brands on the "lowest accident rate" list tend to be rare/exotic cars you'd expect are rarely driven in dangerous situations in the first place.

Reactions: WhiteWi and El joe
Yes it doesn't matter where the signal shows. What matters is if it shows every single time it should. And the one on the screen and or audible doesn't.

For the stat, without being a stat expert, I wonder how other factors would influence like age of the fleet, demographic of the drivers etc...
I am not arguing on your number, I don't know enough, I am just quiet surprised how you can't admit that a system which not working all the time is not reliable.

I think we are getting in a sterile argument that really is no interest for me, I'll just drop it here. Have a nice Sunday.