Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is classed as a modification

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was here starring out the window, thinking about the things I want to do to my new Model 3 and wondered, what is classed as a modification in the insurers eyes?

I mean, I get if you change the wheels, lower the suspension or add a spoiler, they are quite basic mods that has to be declared. But where is the line drawn?

I'm changing the number plate from that horrid stick out one, to a vinyl stick on one, is that classed as a modification that I have to declare?
What about PPF on the sills or just the bumper, it doesn't alter the performance or appearance but I'm sure you have to declare it.

It got me thinking about what is actually classed as a modification. The letter of the law says, anything that it didn't come with from factory but how granular does that get? What if put my furry dice on the rear view mirror? That didn't come with the car.

Is there any like modification bibles that makes this more clear?

PPF, like any wrap, technically makes a car harder and more expensive to repair in the event of an accident. Not only does it have to be resprayed, but PPF has to be reapplied, and its two different disciplines really - a paint shop might not be set up (or want) to do PPF. I would say that it is a notifiable modification.

Changing your numberplate holder though - I wouldn't consider that a modification in the sense that it would make any difference to insurance.

If in doubt - ask your insurers :) I have a fairly mundane attitude to stuff like that - I'd rather know I was insured and not have to worry about whether they will fight me on some technicality in the future, than have basically a worthless bit of paper and be insured in name only.

Interesting questions... and I don't know the answer!

That said, Insurance companies will probably want to know about the following:
  • Anything that increases the cost of any repairs (e.g. PPF)
  • Anything that increases the risk of an accident
  • Anything that increases the risk of the car being stolen
  • Anything that in their eyes might make you look like an increased risk
I'm wouldn't have thought that changing the number plate mount satisfies any of those things, but I'm aligned with @Durzel and would probably check with my Insurer as I certainly couldn't cover the cost of a write-off if the Insurers decided to pursue a 'misrepresentation' case.

Reactions: Durzel
Thank you gentlemen, those are good points and will be calling the insurance anyway when I change to my personal plate which is when I plan to make the change anyway. This was my worry, if I was to make a modification that I regarded as not worthy of telling them, then get slapped with a case to fight if something was to happen.

I will be sure so ask a few more questions when I have them on the phone that are on my mind

I would always declare any modification to the car to my insurance company. They are slimy buggers that will use anything to get out of paying, so why risk it?

I got hit by an uninsured driver in my old Model S and they tried to deny repair because I had an aftermarket phone charger not declared fitted in place of the old one...

Technically it's anything that changes the original specification of the car. Either external, internal, mechanical or engine.

Always best to declare it just in case. Though I never declared my remap on my Audi as how is any insurer going to know that from a basic survey of the car after a crash?

I would always declare any modification to the car to my insurance company. They are slimy buggers that will use anything to get out of paying, so why risk it?

I got hit by an uninsured driver in my old Model S and they tried to deny repair because I had an aftermarket phone charger not declared fitted in place of the old one...
Wow, I assume they didn't get away with that? How hard did they try?

Technically it's anything that changes the original specification of the car. Either external, internal, mechanical or engine.

Always best to declare it just in case. Though I never declared my remap on my Audi as how is any insurer going to know that from a basic survey of the car after a crash?
But this is my point, what about the accessories like seat covers or a phone mount on the dash.....I mean I could declare all of my accessories but I feel thats counter productive. I never thought of it before but the more I think about it the more I think, what if I am in violation because I didn't tell them about something that is completely irrelevant to how the car looks, performs or increases risk.

It scares me to think that I could have a fight on my hands because something as silly as a phone charger being changed in James case above.

Thats crazy and frightening at the time! I hope there wasn't too much of a fight on that one.

Furry dice eh! Tricky one that, I don't mean in terms of insurance.... clearly any insurer of note would refuse cover on the grounds that you just.... shouldn't.....ever 😂

I mean in terms of colour and placement, do you go for the match of the contrast? Dangling from the rear view mirror or the gear st.... oh, hand br....oh, mirror it is 😜

• Funny
Reactions: Drew57
Furry dice eh! Tricky one that, I don't mean in terms of insurance.... clearly any insurer of note would refuse cover on the grounds that you just.... shouldn't.....ever 😂

I mean in terms of colour and placement, do you go for the match of the contrast? Dangling from the rear view mirror or the gear st.... oh, hand br....oh, mirror it is 😜
Hahaha it has to be a Pink one of course, goes great with the white interior lol
Yeah unless I find one that can fit around the screen and dangle off the screen mount, I have no choice lol

• Funny
Reactions: Jez_GB
Seriously though it's a good point. I'd not really given it any consideration, always assumed modifications referred to mechanical/structural mods - wheels, body wrap, etc. I have a box full of stuff to fit to/put in the car, mostly from Abstract Ocean (other purveyors of Tesla tat are available). Screen protector, centre console vinyl wrap, red replacement ambient bulbs, frunk auto lift kit - the lift kit sounds like a prime candidate - perhaps I need to send a list of all tat to my insurers and see what they make of it - somewhere between a pony and a monkey :rolleyes:

Wow, I assume they didn't get away with that? How hard did they try?

Thats crazy and frightening at the time! I hope there wasn't too much of a fight on that one.

No real fight in the end. It wasn't actually my insurance company but the underwriter who inspected it. My insurance company Novo told the underwriters where to go.

Since then I've declared everything, most of the time to be told we don't care, but it's not worth the hassle. It's also why I would pay more for a good insurance company that just have humans I can speak to in 2 minutes and just get things sorted.

All of the above.
I am an independent surveyor (ships not cars) and go look at the mess after a claim and the tell the underwriters how it is.
I don't make the "pay or not pay" decision but I do give the underwriters all the facts to make that call.
On a personal note, having had a lot of modified cars in the past, I always declare everything. On my current daily driver that list is a tow bar, a hands free kit, and winter tyres for four months a year. They don't really want to know, but I make a note of the date and time of the phone call and the name of the person I spoke to as that would be good "evidence" should the worst come to the worst.
That said, I don't specify the tyre or brake pad manufacture as long as they are all stock/standard size. I figure if an average owner sent their car to have new brakes and tyres they may not know who made them, so unless they change the look or the performance then I will let those go.

PPF, like any wrap, technically makes a car harder and more expensive to repair in the event of an accident. Not only does it have to be resprayed, but PPF has to be reapplied, and its two different disciplines really - a paint shop might not be set up (or want) to do PPF. I would say that it is a notifiable modification.
Even if you notify your insurer and they agree to the modification they rarely insure the actual modification and will only repair back to stock. Therefore you would have to get a new PPF fitted after their repair (or pay extra to have it fitted at the same time if they had the capability).

Even if you notify your insurer and they agree to the modification they rarely insure the actual modification and will only repair back to stock. Therefore you would have to get a new PPF fitted after their repair (or pay extra to have it fitted at the same time if they had the capability).
Indeed.

I have the PPF and the total labour involved in (re)fitting it insured as well (Novo).

What about PPF on the sills or just the bumper, it doesn't alter the performance or appearance but I'm sure you have to declare it.
After a driverless Honda rolled across a public car park last month and crushed my (driverless) Tesla drivers door the car is being repaired at their insurers cost.

I applied door sill ppf on the day my car was delivered, never reported it to my insurer but simply peeled it off before it went away for repair and will reapply when the car is returned.

Buying a new car I can understand that you'd know what modifications have been made, but if you buy a used car you may have little chance of knowing some of the changes that have been made before you took ownership. Was that PPF ahead of the rear wheel arches standard or fitted since? Were they the original wheels that were fitted 3 years ago when the car was made? What where the factory standard tyres back then? Have the brakes got standard pads, has the suspension been changed?

Furry dice and sun visor strip with George and Elon across the top of the windscreen would be easier to spot. I don't know what I'm suggesting here other than there must be a degree of flexibility otherwise half the cars on the road might not be insured if they had non OEM brakepads fitted at a corner garage.

I've been in enough prangs (third party or otherwise) to know that, at least in my case, insurers couldn't care less about the car that is being repaired. I've even had one written off and paid out for that had all sorts of undeclared modifications on it. They just sent a flatbed to remove the car and sent a cheque in the post.

Only time I can see them getting fidgety is if the modification had some part to play in the reason for claim - i.e. a change you made failed and caused an accident - then it's glaringly obvious and you might be in trouble - but for cosmetic stuff, this isn't going to be an issue.

My laid back outlook on this will differ to many, but my learned experience of has told me not to sweat it too much.