Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is considered "normal" battery drain when car is just idle and not plugged in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SilverGS

Nov 3, 2016
Ontario
I'm curious to know what is considered "normal" battery drain rate when your car is just sitting idle in a covered garage at roughly 25 C/77 F to 30 C/86 Fahrenheit.

I have turned on the power save mode and un-checked the "Always connected" option and the battery seems to be draining about 3 miles per 8 hours. Prior to turning on the Power save mode, it drained about 5 miles of range in 3.5 hours - so more than a 1 mile an hour. Car was plugged in when I didn't have the power save mode on, but not plugged in when I did have the power save mode turned on.

I used to be at about 1%/day with my X100D but with 2019.20.4 and after it has been more like 1 RM/day.

It depends on how much your car sleeps, which depends on how much you use it and what features are active. My X can sleep all day and just wake up for a few minutes to see if it needs to perform a scheduled charge.

Sentry Mode will keep the car from sleeping. I've had mixed success with Cabin Overheat Protection and sleep, normally I leave it off. Checking with the Tesla app will wake up the car. Data logging with something like TeslaFi without Sleep Mode enabled will keep the car from sleeping. However, it can also be a useful tool for checking on what the car is doing, like sleeping. Just make sure to enable the TeslaFi Sleep Mode. Walking by the car with the fob (S & X only) wakes it up. Even storing the fob in the house but close to the car can disturb its sleep. The parking lights should come on like they normally do when you approach the car if the fob is causing a problem.

There is no way to put the car to sleep on command. It's just something the car does. There are many ways to keep the car from sleeping or waking the car from sleep.

Reactions: SilverGS
I used to be at about 1%/day with my X100D but with 2019.20.4 and after it has been more like 1 RM/day.

It depends on how much your car sleeps, which depends on how much you use it and what features are active. My X can sleep all day and just wake up for a few minutes to see if it needs to perform a scheduled charge.

Sentry Mode will keep the car from sleeping. I've had mixed success with Cabin Overheat Protection and sleep, normally I leave it off. Checking with the Tesla app will wake up the car. Data logging with something like TeslaFi without Sleep Mode enabled will keep the car from sleeping. However, it can also be a useful tool for checking on what the car is doing, like sleeping. Just make sure to enable the TeslaFi Sleep Mode. Walking by the car with the fob (S & X only) wakes it up. Even storing the fob in the house but close to the car can disturb its sleep. The parking lights should come on like they normally do when you approach the car if the fob is causing a problem.

There is no way to put the car to sleep on command. It's just something the car does. There are many ways to keep the car from sleeping or waking the car from sleep.
Thanks.

1. My car doesn't have sentry mode - its a 2016 S75D
  2. I have cabin overheat protection turned off deliberately
  3. I deliberately didn't use the app to check the car just to see what the rate of drainage is.
  4. I don't use TeslaFi, I use TeslaSpy and had the settings set to enhanced sleep mode so that it wouldn't disturb the car
  5. I keep the fob much further away from the car so that it doesn't disturb the car
Having said the above, it appears that based on your battery drainage of 1 RM/day (I'm on the latest firmware 2019.24.4) mine is excessively high.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Make sure Sentry mode is off.
Disconnect/change password on any third party apps
Periodically check in-person (not via phone) that the car isn't making noise and nothing appears on. DON'T touch the doors.

Don't measure drain over a short period, make sure that it is at least 12 hours. The car WILL use energy until it goes to sleep.

• Informative
Make sure Sentry mode is off.
Disconnect/change password on any third party apps
Periodically check in-person (not via phone) that the car isn't making noise and nothing appears on. DON'T touch the doors.

Don't measure drain over a short period, make sure that it is at least 12 hours. The car WILL use energy until it goes to sleep.
I don't have sentry mode on my car. Its a June 2016 build.

Anyway I turned on the Power save mode and un-checked the "Always connected" option and my I'm not losing much range. Much more better that's for sure!

For example it charged to 353 km last night at 7:11 PM. This morning 13 hours later as I was leaving home, it had lost only 3 km.
The day before that (right after I posted this thread initially), it had lost only 6 km over a 16.5 hour period.

I use TeslaSpy but didn't bother resetting the password to my login.

Anyway I turned on the Power save mode and un-checked the "Always connected" option and my I'm not losing much range. Much more better that's for sure!

For example it charged to 353 km last night at 7:11 PM. This morning 13 hours later as I was leaving home, it had lost only 3 km.
The day before that (right after I posted this thread initially), it had lost only 6 km over a 16.5 hour period.

Then TeslaSpy could be keeping your car awake, that will drain the battery fast!

Reactions: TexasEV
I'm curious to know what is considered "normal" battery drain rate when your car is just sitting idle in a covered garage at roughly 25 C/77 F to 30 C/86 Fahrenheit.

I have turned on the power save mode and un-checked the "Always connected" option and the battery seems to be draining about 3 miles per 8 hours. Prior to turning on the Power save mode, it drained about 5 miles of range in 3.5 hours - so more than a 1 mile an hour. Car was plugged in when I didn't have the power save mode on, but not plugged in when I did have the power save mode turned on.
With everything off you can expect about 2 to 5 miles per day.

It still doesn't sound like you car is able to go to sleep. The third party apps are notorious for polling the car and keeping it awake. To reduce the loss, the car has to go to sleep.