Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is everyone doing with their house key? Is that a weird question?

lupend88

Member
Jul 7, 2017
340
414
Portland
Let me explain my situation. I currently own a Chevy Volt, and on the key fob is my key to my house in addition to the car key. When I get my Model 3, I will be excited to drop one less thing to carry, but I will still need my house key. It feels weird to have a keychain with only one key. Is anyone else in this weird school of thought that I am?
 

lapolak

Member
Feb 27, 2018
107
152
Los Angeles
I've thought about this as well. I've given thought to changing the locks on my door to a smart lock that requires no key (code or bluetooth connection) but I'm not necessarily comfortable with installing yet another internet connected device, that may have vulnerabilities as everything on the internet is vulnerable, to govern entry into my home.
 
  • Like
Reactions: int32_t

EcoBruin

Member
Sep 27, 2013
116
526
Pasadena, Ca
I purchased an August smart lock 3.0 recently and used it for my garage door. I’d say it has worked 95% of the time. The other 5% I’d have to unlock my phone and it’s correspoonding app to unlock it.

It’s actually really convenient with geo-location unlocking. My only gripe about it is the lack of auto-locking when it senses you’re in away mode rather than home mode. I have to set it to automatically lock after 2 minutes instead which locks on me when I’m working in the garage.
 
  • Like
Reactions: rsbell

Derek Kessler

Active Member
Apr 15, 2016
1,193
1,803
Cincinnati
I switched to a smart lock for my front door a few months back. I'd already stopped carrying a house key months before after I installed a MyQ garage door opener. Now all I take is my car key.
 
  • Like
Reactions: rsbell

Trips

"Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next?"
Sep 22, 2015
1,214
1,402
Omaha, NE
I have been keyless for just under 5 years and it has been great. I have a dumb keypad lock for my main door but mainly enter my house via the garage that has a keypad if needed. I just wish there was some kind of keypad lock for sliding doors.
 

Boourns

Active Member
Mar 9, 2016
1,549
1,956
Dallas
Since I carry 3 keys (house, and 2 for my office) I have a keysmart. If I didn't have to carry my work keys, I'd go with a keyless smart lock at home and hide a physical key in my garage somewhere.
 

Az_Rael

Supporting Member
Jan 26, 2016
5,617
8,791
Palmdale, CA
I'm not necessarily comfortable with installing yet another internet connected device, that may have vulnerabilities as everything on the internet is vulnerable, to govern entry into my home

This. We have gone full up Z-wave/smart home inside our house with lights, plugs, etc and love it. But I have concerns about adding smart locks/garage door openers to the mix for that very reason. Even without a company getting hacked or my credentials hacked or whatnot, I worry someone could just yell at my Alexa through the kitchen window to unlock the front door.

But maybe I am just overly paranoid. :)
 
  • Funny
Reactions: S3XY

davedavedave

Member
Aug 5, 2017
323
322
NoVA
Another smart-lock user here, for about 5 years. I started with the Lockitron and moved to the August and then the August 2.0. I've only been locked out twice, once with a dead phone, and once having let the batteries die - and ever since I'm diligent about swapping the rechargeable batteries every two weeks, and keeping my phone charged.

Very happy, and generally haven't used a key in years, but it's always best to have a spare key somewhere though. I won't say where I keep it, but I will say that I keep a phone charger in my garden shed now.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Wolverinegeoff

Derek Kessler

Active Member
Apr 15, 2016
1,193
1,803
Cincinnati
  • Like
Reactions: PoitNarf

boaterva

Supporting Member
Apr 2, 2016
7,565
3,736
Northern Virginia, USA
I have two keys (home and office doors), so, I like the silicon fob holder for my X. When my GF gets her 3, I expect her to just keep the pile of keys she always had in her handbag (whatever the term is nowadays). Not so much of an issue for woman, if I may say so! :D

I've thought about a wireless front door lock, but we rarely use it: garage door is used far more. All depends which doors you use and who else uses them!
 

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.


SUPPORT TMC
Top