TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What is everyone doing with their house key? Is that a weird question?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by lupend88, Mar 13, 2018.

1. lupend88

lupend88 Member

Let me explain my situation. I currently own a Chevy Volt, and on the key fob is my key to my house in addition to the car key. When I get my Model 3, I will be excited to drop one less thing to carry, but I will still need my house key. It feels weird to have a keychain with only one key. Is anyone else in this weird school of thought that I am?

2. Foxhound199

Foxhound199 Member

If toyed with the idea of a smart lock on my front door. Not sure if these are any good yet.

• Like x 1
  3. lapolak

lapolak Member

I've thought about this as well. I've given thought to changing the locks on my door to a smart lock that requires no key (code or bluetooth connection) but I'm not necessarily comfortable with installing yet another internet connected device, that may have vulnerabilities as everything on the internet is vulnerable, to govern entry into my home.

• Like x 1
  4. Insight75

Insight75 Member

I use a key pad to get in the front door. Best thing ever. I highly recommend it.

• Like x 11
  5. EcoBruin

EcoBruin Member

I purchased an August smart lock 3.0 recently and used it for my garage door. I’d say it has worked 95% of the time. The other 5% I’d have to unlock my phone and it’s correspoonding app to unlock it.

It’s actually really convenient with geo-location unlocking. My only gripe about it is the lack of auto-locking when it senses you’re in away mode rather than home mode. I have to set it to automatically lock after 2 minutes instead which locks on me when I’m working in the garage.

• Like x 1
  6. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

I switched to a smart lock for my front door a few months back. I'd already stopped carrying a house key months before after I installed a MyQ garage door opener. Now all I take is my car key.

• Like x 1
  7. Haxster

Haxster Member

We've been totally keyless for 40 years (both house and cars). The Tesla finally got me to carry a keyfob (though I did build a keyless controller our MS). Tesla Model S Keyless/Fobless Controller

8. eladts

eladts Member

Sell your house, live inside the Model 3. Problem solved!

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  9. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

10. rxlawdude

rxlawdude Member

11. Trips

Trips "Boring bonehead questions are not cool. Next?"

I have been keyless for just under 5 years and it has been great. I have a dumb keypad lock for my main door but mainly enter my house via the garage that has a keypad if needed. I just wish there was some kind of keypad lock for sliding doors.

12. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

13. Insight75

Insight75 Member

Go with Schlage. Don't like Kwikset products and I have experience with both.

• Like x 2
  14. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

Since I carry 3 keys (house, and 2 for my office) I have a keysmart. If I didn't have to carry my work keys, I'd go with a keyless smart lock at home and hide a physical key in my garage somewhere.

15. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

This. We have gone full up Z-wave/smart home inside our house with lights, plugs, etc and love it. But I have concerns about adding smart locks/garage door openers to the mix for that very reason. Even without a company getting hacked or my credentials hacked or whatnot, I worry someone could just yell at my Alexa through the kitchen window to unlock the front door.

But maybe I am just overly paranoid. :)

• Funny x 1
  16. davedavedave

davedavedave Member

Another smart-lock user here, for about 5 years. I started with the Lockitron and moved to the August and then the August 2.0. I've only been locked out twice, once with a dead phone, and once having let the batteries die - and ever since I'm diligent about swapping the rechargeable batteries every two weeks, and keeping my phone charged.

Very happy, and generally haven't used a key in years, but it's always best to have a spare key somewhere though. I won't say where I keep it, but I will say that I keep a phone charger in my garden shed now.

• Like x 1
  17. Boourns

Boourns Active Member

That's a really good idea.

18. johnster007

johnster007 Member

I've tried Kevo, August, Quickset and the only dependable lock I've found is Schlage keypad. I wanted so much for the proximity locks to work but they're just not ready for primetime.

19. Derek Kessler

Derek Kessler Active Member

• Like x 1
  20. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I have two keys (home and office doors), so, I like the silicon fob holder for my X. When my GF gets her 3, I expect her to just keep the pile of keys she always had in her handbag (whatever the term is nowadays). Not so much of an issue for woman, if I may say so! :D

I've thought about a wireless front door lock, but we rarely use it: garage door is used far more. All depends which doors you use and who else uses them!