Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is everyone doing with their house key? Is that a weird question?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let me explain my situation. I currently own a Chevy Volt, and on the key fob is my key to my house in addition to the car key. When I get my Model 3, I will be excited to drop one less thing to carry, but I will still need my house key. It feels weird to have a keychain with only one key. Is anyone else in this weird school of thought that I am?

I've thought about this as well. I've given thought to changing the locks on my door to a smart lock that requires no key (code or bluetooth connection) but I'm not necessarily comfortable with installing yet another internet connected device, that may have vulnerabilities as everything on the internet is vulnerable, to govern entry into my home.

Reactions: int32_t
I purchased an August smart lock 3.0 recently and used it for my garage door. I’d say it has worked 95% of the time. The other 5% I’d have to unlock my phone and it’s correspoonding app to unlock it.

It’s actually really convenient with geo-location unlocking. My only gripe about it is the lack of auto-locking when it senses you’re in away mode rather than home mode. I have to set it to automatically lock after 2 minutes instead which locks on me when I’m working in the garage.

Reactions: rsbell
I have been keyless for just under 5 years and it has been great. I have a dumb keypad lock for my main door but mainly enter my house via the garage that has a keypad if needed. I just wish there was some kind of keypad lock for sliding doors.

I'm not necessarily comfortable with installing yet another internet connected device, that may have vulnerabilities as everything on the internet is vulnerable, to govern entry into my home

This. We have gone full up Z-wave/smart home inside our house with lights, plugs, etc and love it. But I have concerns about adding smart locks/garage door openers to the mix for that very reason. Even without a company getting hacked or my credentials hacked or whatnot, I worry someone could just yell at my Alexa through the kitchen window to unlock the front door.

But maybe I am just overly paranoid. :)

• Funny
Reactions: S3XY
Another smart-lock user here, for about 5 years. I started with the Lockitron and moved to the August and then the August 2.0. I've only been locked out twice, once with a dead phone, and once having let the batteries die - and ever since I'm diligent about swapping the rechargeable batteries every two weeks, and keeping my phone charged.

Very happy, and generally haven't used a key in years, but it's always best to have a spare key somewhere though. I won't say where I keep it, but I will say that I keep a phone charger in my garden shed now.

Reactions: Wolverinegeoff
Reactions: PoitNarf
I have two keys (home and office doors), so, I like the silicon fob holder for my X. When my GF gets her 3, I expect her to just keep the pile of keys she always had in her handbag (whatever the term is nowadays). Not so much of an issue for woman, if I may say so! :D

I've thought about a wireless front door lock, but we rarely use it: garage door is used far more. All depends which doors you use and who else uses them!