Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is everyone doing with their house key? Is that a weird question?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a key and a keyfob for the office, but enter our house through a remote garage door (remote is on my visor) so no keyring for that. I don't know what I'm going to do with the office keyring, but losing a car key is progress imo.

Only downside I've yet to sort out is in the rare event I arrive home on foot and nobody's home...I have to wait.

Go with Schlage. Don't like Kwikset products and I have experience with both.

That's what I've got - Schlage touch screen locks all around talking ZWave to my Wink hub. Super easy to make entry codes for everyone in the house, as well as setting up temporary codes for people that might be visiting. Also have MyQ on the garage door, and many, many other geek toys that are just an "Alexa..." away.

Good thing my gym, grocery store, and ChargePoint all let me sign in with their apps on my phone, because after I get my 3 I'll have zero use for a key chain.

This. We have gone full up Z-wave/smart home inside our house with lights, plugs, etc and love it. But I have concerns about adding smart locks/garage door openers to the mix for that very reason. Even without a company getting hacked or my credentials hacked or whatnot, I worry someone could just yell at my Alexa through the kitchen window to unlock the front door.

But maybe I am just overly paranoid. :)
This makes me think of the old days of answering machines that allowed you to screen the calls. Just call the house and tell Alexa to open the door.

• Funny
Reactions: Az_Rael
I have a key and a keyfob for the office, but enter our house through a remote garage door (remote is on my visor) so no keyring for that. I don't know what I'm going to do with the office keyring, but losing a car key is progress imo.

Only downside I've yet to sort out is in the rare event I arrive home on foot and nobody's home...I have to wait.

You don't have a keypad outside your garage door?

This. We have gone full up Z-wave/smart home inside our house with lights, plugs, etc and love it. But I have concerns about adding smart locks/garage door openers to the mix for that very reason. Even without a company getting hacked or my credentials hacked or whatnot, I worry someone could just yell at my Alexa through the kitchen window to unlock the front door.

FWIW - My house was robber several years ago. The theives threw a ~6" diameter rock through the sliding glass door. I'd have rather they hacked a smart lock, it would have been cheaper to repair! :)

• Funny
Reactions: pkodali
Of the smart locks out there (I've tried a bunch) I prefer the Kevo / Weiser deadbolts. Normal keys for those who want them, trivial to re-key, phone entry for those who want them and keyfobs. Easy to rekey when remodeling/giving out guest keys, and then set back. The trouble I've had with these locks is that the mobile apps vary a bit in quality (I've had them over multiple years with multiple phones and phone OS'es) but on the upside even if you drop your phone in a lake you can borrow someone's phone, log in, and enter your house. They eat batteries, too.

All consumer doorframes are garbage. If you are worried about entry into your house you also have to defend against people kicking the door in. There are a large number of possible solutions, including medeco locks or better, down to mods specifically to defend your door from being kicked in. Kicking in a door takes all of one second and gains entry to your home so fast you can probably do it to someone's front door and get away with it. The door can be promptly closed and look pretty normal afterwards, or pick a side door or door inside a garage for complete privacy.

I have this on my front door, basement door, and doors to my air-bnbs. It's great. Since you're still the one supplying the mechanical movement, the battery lasts forever. It says to change it annually, but 4 years in with heavy usage and still not even a low battery warning.

View attachment 286289
Camelot trim Keypad Deadbolt

We've had this same exact one for 2.5 years and it works great. Did have to replace the batteries once, but it does get used multiple times per day with the kids etc....

For security reasons, Alexa won't let you unlock doors at this time. You can have her lock doors though. I also have SmarThings hub and every light in my house is Z-wave. My thermostat, door locks, etc.

So yeah, I don't carry any keys ever. Only thing in my pocket is my wallet and sometimes the fob (when I don't feel like using my phone to start the car).

Another smart-lock user here, for about 5 years. I started with the Lockitron and moved to the August and then the August 2.0. I've only been locked out twice, once with a dead phone, and once having let the batteries die - and ever since I'm diligent about swapping the rechargeable batteries every two weeks, and keeping my phone charged.

Very happy, and generally haven't used a key in years, but it's always best to have a spare key somewhere though. I won't say where I keep it, but I will say that I keep a phone charger in my garden shed now.

Every 2 weeks?? That seems really excessive. I have only changed my batteries (4xAA) twice in the two years since I've started using mine (granted, it's not the same smart lock). Also, since it's z-wave, my SmartThings app warns me if the battery gets low...so you only change it out when it needs it.

We've had the Sunnect locks for years and love them. While they aren't "smart" or wireless, they use a key that looks like a USB thumb drive and require actual physical contact. They also have a keypad that is hidden beneath a slide-up cover so you'd never know it was there. We don't have to worry about them being hacked since they aren't connected. They do have a terminal where a 9 volt battery can be used if the batteries every die but the batteries usually last for 9 months to a year or more so we've never actually had to use a 9 volt in an emergency. I don't think they make them anymore but I definitely recommend them!

I've been researching some Bluetooth enabled deadbolts recently but haven't found one that has convinced me to "upgrade" from the Sunnects yet.

Let me explain my situation. I currently own a Chevy Volt, and on the key fob is my key to my house in addition to the car key. When I get my Model 3, I will be excited to drop one less thing to carry, but I will still need my house key. It feels weird to have a keychain with only one key. Is anyone else in this weird school of thought that I am?
I got rid of the key ring too; just carry one key in my change pocket.

I have Schlage BE469 locks on both front door and back door (this way if one happens to have the battery die, I have a back-up). The only time I ever did have an issue with the battery was returning from a three-week trip - now I make sure to change the batteries before leaving on extending trips - any other time the low battery warning gives me plenty of advance notice.

I also have the MyQ garage opener and webcam in my garage. My kid was playing around one day and opened the garage door and it was open until I got home from work that evening (with e-bike and golf clubs exposed to anyone going by). Now with the MyQ, I get a warning if my garage is open more than 2 minutes and can use the webcam to make sure it is not a false sensor. With the MyQ, I can close and open the garage from anywhere.

I'm thinking of getting a slim wallet with a small keyring on it.

upload_2018-3-14_12-16-34.png

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XXH4R9...colid=18L97GC74VDG&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

(There are lots of different variations on this theme.)

I don't think you're being paranoid at all. I'm in my mid-20s so I grew up a gadget guy and love the thought of the connected house. I enjoy my smart lights, my Alexa Spot, my Nest Cams and Nest Thermostats. But... the smart locks give me pause.

Even if the company isn't hacked, whats to stop someone to somehow develop a way to locally access your smart lock through a vulnerability in the hardware, in your home's network, or the smart hubs. Yes, you'd have to be a hot target since it would probably take an absurd amount of time to do such things. But who knows... I remember the reports of people abusing signals in keyless entry / start-stop for cars when the tech was new -- some thieves were able to unlock the car within seconds.

I am considering making it a back-up to a regular dead bolt for those times when you hit the road and panic over whether you locked the door or not ;).

Sincere question: does your home have windows? Glass patio doors? If someone really wants into your house, they are going to get in. You may have opened yourself up to geeky hackers more than dudes with crowbars, but either way you have a risk. My personal view is that a lock has to be strong enough to deter a casual "let me see if the door is unlocked" kind of opportunist, but if someone comes to my house with the firm intent of entering it, I doubt any consumer product will stop them. Find a rock in my back yard and "let yourself in" my patio door!

Sincere question: does your home have windows? Glass patio doors? If someone really wants into your house, they are going to get in. You may have opened yourself up to geeky hackers more than dudes with crowbars, but either way you have a risk. My personal view is that a lock has to be strong enough to deter a casual "let me see if the door is unlocked" kind of opportunist, but if someone comes to my house with the firm intent of entering it, I doubt any consumer product will stop them. Find a rock in my back yard and "let yourself in" my patio door!
Agreed.

It's nice to have a 300+ pounds of very loud canines to scare away anyone who might have ideas about entering my house uninvited. Of course they'd also have to avoid the landmines. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: PoitNarf and RayK
Reminds me of a construction worker friend who visited a model home that had vinyl siding. When the agent bragged about the high security locks on the front door, my friend laughed and said, "just give me a utility knife and I'll get in in two minutes by cutting the siding and drywall and reach in to unlock the door."

Same here. The smartlock is kept from my Google Home as it is too close to the door and don't want people yelling at it from outside.