Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is FSD value in used car market?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would have pay around $4-5K for a FSD car vs non-FSD CAR

This is helpful, thank you. I'm currently watching to Tesla Autonomy Day video to see what is promised to eventually come with HW3.

Doesn't really increase the resale value much at all, but when time comes to sell the car, it will be easy to sell if you set the price right.

hmmmm

I’m a buyer for current automotive. Fsd ads maybe 3-4k$. Not much.
Anyone selling a used Tesla low miles clean carfax hit me up. We beat Tesla trade in offers.
We need cars!

To be honest I was most interested in hearing your reply. :)

Ok. So I buy it for $7k and it'll be worth $3k later on. Worst case scenario it costs me $4k to play the FSD game. Best case scenario is it more than covers the price as a Robotaxi as I'm out cruising in a Roadster 2.

Excellent.

Thank you!

Best,
Gene

mods: thank you for letting this be here.

• Funny
Reactions: whitex
Doesn't really increase the resale value much at all, but when time comes to sell the car, it will be easy to sell if you set the price right.

of course it increases the value, most people only shop for FSD cars and the Tesla CPO sites show an obvious price increase of 4-6k for FSD equivalent vehicles.

not only that but buying a preowned with FSD means you can get a free HW3 upgrade anytime. Now that Tesla offers an MCU 2 upgrade for 2500, you can get all the latest tech Tesla has to offer without spending 8-11k.

someone would really not have to care about any of this to buy a car without FSD as a factory installed option.

I disagree with the posts above about the depreciation on FSD. FSD being software (with AP 3.x hardware upgrade included), that is constantly updated and cost $8K (now) has zero depreciation for resale.

One way FSD as a software will have depreciation if FSD is feature complete and deprecated in lieu of something more advance and new and costs additional dollars to upgrade (not free upgrade) i.e. FSD X[treme] or FSD 3D or whatever that would be called running AP 5.x hardware or something.

When I compared prices of ap2 cars with FSD and without there there was about a $5K difference a couple of months ago. The difference seems smaller now, but haven't renewed my subscription at ev-cpo.com, so not sure, can't see pricing history. As the cars get older and miles on the vehicle increase the difference is less. Would be interesting if we could buy some of the FSD cars , remove FSD option and save $8K. $55K Model Xs would then sell for $47K.

Last edited:
of course it increases the value, most people only shop for FSD cars and the Tesla CPO sites show an obvious price increase of 4-6k for FSD equivalent vehicles.

not only that but buying a preowned with FSD means you can get a free HW3 upgrade anytime. Now that Tesla offers an MCU 2 upgrade for 2500, you can get all the latest tech Tesla has to offer without spending 8-11k.

someone would really not have to care about any of this to buy a car without FSD as a factory installed option.
I completely understand this thinking but cars with FSD aren't fetching 8k more than those without. I've been tracking the P3D market for a year now and FSD seems to be worth about $4k.

• Informative
Reactions: ra88it and alloverx
Purchasing FSD for the resale value is like throwing money away. A purchaser can buy it anytime down the road after buying a current generation Tesla with the click of the app. There is no incentive for a prospective buyer to pay the full cost of FSD over the cost of the car because it’s always an option down the road. Regular AP does almost all the useful part of FSD so I believe it should only be purchased if you plan on keeping the car for a very long time and then resale isn’t a part of that equation.

Purchasing FSD for the resale value is like throwing money away. A purchaser can buy it anytime down the road after buying a current generation Tesla with the click of the app. There is no incentive for a prospective buyer to pay the full cost of FSD over the cost of the car because it’s always an option down the road. Regular AP does almost all the useful part of FSD so I believe it should only be purchased if you plan on keeping the car for a very long time and then resale isn’t a part of that equation.

Ehh I’d compare it to buying a 911 without sport chrono. There are things secondary market purchasers look for in particular that aid in selling. I personally wanted FSD 1000% because I’d rather finance it over my Loan term than pay for it with a credit card if I decided I wanted it.

Reactions: Rmf1981
by this logic. The model 3 costs them 30k to make why offer a penny more than that.

Tesla trade in “credit” ≠ resale value.
The base 3 isn’t worth much to trade back to Tesla. The logic is realistic. Tesla adds FSD to their used cars to add additional value for resale which gives them a margin to give more on trade pricing. FSD cars being traded back lack that additional margin to profit because the Addison isn’t an option.

Reactions: ra88it and DanCar
Question for all:

What discount do you expect to see on a car offered by a private party with say EAP vs. one offered from Tesla with FSD? We all know it's a $3k-4k step up to activate FSD, so how much would you expect "off" a car that lacks that?

Same question with a warranty. Tesla slaps an additional 4 year/50k on the used cars purchased through them. That's a $5750 option on the X. What value does that have to people?

By logic, any car sold by a private party w/o FSD and w/o a warranty should be 8-10k less than the same car offered up by Tesla, right?

(Yes, I know there are some qualifiers here ... condition of the car, an owner that took good care of it vs. unknown, known history vs. somewhat unknown history ...)

I'm interested in thoughts ....

Reactions: ra88it