Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is GIIN?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

OrthoSurg

Jun 2, 2017
Montreal
Trying to complete IBKR registration but blocked on the last page asking for a GIIN. I called for help but the Indian Chinese customer rep did not understand a bit of what I was asking and I couldn’t understand her.

has anybody opened an IB account in Canada and fell on that page?

Attachments

• 68DC8FF1-96A3-4747-8FCD-A85EA459E2BA.png
    68DC8FF1-96A3-4747-8FCD-A85EA459E2BA.png
    444.9 KB · Views: 90
Trying to complete IBKR registration but blocked on the last page asking for a GIIN. I called for help but the Indian Chinese customer rep did not understand a bit of what I was asking and I couldn’t understand her.

has anybody opened an IB account in Canada and fell on that page?
I just did my IB application but I did it as a Canadian corporation so maybe it is different. I don't remember having to fill that in - try leaving it blank. Make sure you click on "Yes" to the "Claim of tax treaty..." part at the bottom.

• Informative
Reactions: LightngMcQueen
I just did my IB application but I did it as a Canadian corporation so maybe it is different. I don't remember having to fill that in - try leaving it blank. Make sure you click on "Yes" to the "Claim of tax treaty..." part at the bottom.
Same thing here, filled my IB applications as a Canadian Corporation and they ask me this GIIN number which my Canadian corporation don’t have. I must have done something wrong in the previous pages.

@OrthoSurg @pz1975 and any other Canucks since this thread seems to have focused on intricacies of investing in Canadian Controlled Private Corp, let me use this opportunity to ask a related question.

Have you done any Canada specific tax planning WRT your newly found cap gains? Some of the issues that came to my mind:
- planning for increase of capital gain inclusion rate .. will likely be raised from 50 back to 66%
- income splitting strategies especially given new Liberal TOSI rules
- maintaining deductibility of expenses (office/salaries) as investment income in corporation starts to outweigh active income, and maybe active income ceases completely?

As I see 3-5x TSLA SP upside from here, tax headaches are likely to huge and I am slowly starting to worry.

Not sure if there is any interest to dig into it and if there is not sure what is best medium to have this conversation.