Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is going on with the price of the Tesla Gen 2 Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
It seems that over the past 90 days or so the average selling price on eBay of brand new 24' Gen-2 wall connectors has plummeted to some selling for around $300.

Is a refresh imminent? Do I care?

I don't anticipate taking delivery of my Model 3 till later this summer but the low price of the current HPWC has me tempted to go ahead and get the unit now... so I can take my time with installation of the new circuit I will need.

Comments?

It seems that over the past 90 days or so the average selling price on eBay of brand new 24' Gen-2 wall connectors has plummeted to some selling for around $300.

Is a refresh imminent? Do I care?

I don't anticipate taking delivery of my Model 3 till later this summer but the low price of the current HPWC has me tempted to go ahead and get the unit now... so I can take my time with installation of the new circuit I will need.

Comments?

Presumably the eBay price dropped to match the portable's price. After all, the portable is just a socket and two screws away from being fixed.

Presumably the eBay price dropped to match the portable's price. After all, the portable is just a socket and two screws away from being fixed.

Yeah, I considered the portable unit but the wall charger seems easier to deal with since I have a tiny child running around who likes to stick paper clips in things.

Plus it's theoretically possible that at some future date I get a 2nd Tesla in the same garage and want to run a 2nd unit in series with this one.

I'm curious if there will be a gen3, that will have two charging points in a single HPWC, so you don't have to have two of them on the same 100amp breaker with the communication link to share the load...

Having a single HPWC with two ports on it, would do everything in a single package and that would be best as many households may be getting two Tesla (maybe more).

I'm curious if there will be a gen3, that will have two charging points in a single HPWC, so you don't have to have two of them on the same 100amp breaker with the communication link to share the load...

Having a single HPWC with two ports on it, would do everything in a single package and that would be best as many households may be getting two Tesla (maybe more).

I can probably put it into my garage in a location where it could service vehicles (one at a time of course) in both bays.

If I then needed to tandem another SC off of it things would get complicated as I would have to run back into my basement and pop it back up at the tandem garage.

I will probably go ahead and pull the trigger on one of these... there's always the risk that as the M3 orders start to arrive the supply of these at such low prices will dry up and I will miss out on the discount.

Cable management would be awkward with a setup like that.

Reactions: Ampster and David99
Cable management would be awkward with a setup like that.
Why do you think it would be awkward?

All I'm hoping for is a single HPWC with two connectors. This way the single HPWC can determine which port get 100% or 50/50% or any combination (when one vehicle is nearly full, and the other vehicle is empty, it should maybe do 10%/90%.

Note: Percentages should be based on the actual breaker amperage, and of course I your Tesla has a single charger or dual chargers...

Attachments

• multiple-wall-connectors.jpg
    multiple-wall-connectors.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 152
Why do you think it would be awkward?

All I'm hoping for is a single HPWC with two connectors. This way the single HPWC can determine which port get 100% or 50/50% or any combination (when one vehicle is nearly full, and the other vehicle is empty, it should maybe do 10%/90%.

Note: Percentages should be based on the actual breaker amperage, and of course I your Tesla has a single charger or dual chargers...
You will always have one car that has to have a cable stretched across a garage or driveway.

You will always have one car that has to have a cable stretched across a garage or driveway.

True, but since most people charge at night, is that really a problem? Plus with a 20 foot cable, garages that have spots side by side won't have an issue, plus I have that situation right now as I park a Model X on the left side, and a Model S on the right side, and my HPWC is on the wall right behind my main on the right side, so to charge either one, I have to pull the HPWC behind the Tesla either way. On my left wall I have my Powerwall + gateway + sub panel.

I know that everyone's garage is different, but I think having a single HPWC that can charge two Tesla at the same time is great. I'm hoping for a Gen 3 to do just this!

Reactions: FlatSix911
Weird that there would be eBay sellers selling dozens of Wall Connectors 40% below retail.

One likely explanation is, if the units are made in China, that these are factory "overruns". Chinese factories are notorious for doing additional off the books production runs and then selling the products at massive discounts.

It's also possible that Tesla is over-stocked on them now and is selling them to distributors at big discounts.

The 'old' UMC might be worth getting while still available. The new one only does 32 Amp, the old one does 40 Amp.

Why would I get that over HPWC? Model 3 will charge at 48 amps, which is what I intend to charge at. While I will very rarely need the ability to charge it that quickly it would be really nice to have for emergencies.