Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is going on with the price of the Tesla Gen 2 Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, I could not resist.. I went ahead and ordered. At $330 shipped could not pass it up. If for some reasons my plan to buy a M3 this year falls through I can easily sell this unit for not much less than I am paying for it.

I just looked at the packing list on the last unit that arrived from eBay. It was shipped directly from Tesla to me. The seller was buying them from Tesla at some kind of discount and then having them drop shipped directly to the buyers.

That explains why my tracking number shows it's coming from California and not Canada... I guess that also means the warranty will be valid. Sad to hear I am supporting some kind of scam, though.

That explains why my tracking number shows it's coming from California and not Canada... I guess that also means the warranty will be valid. Sad to hear I am supporting some kind of scam, though.

What makes you think it's a scam?

If some government is stupid or lazy enough to pay people to buy chargers and sell them at a profit, pocketing the difference, that's not a "scam", it's a loophole someone is exploiting. Maybe they should fix whatever it is they goofed up.

I just looked at the packing list on the last unit that arrived from eBay. It was shipped directly from Tesla to me. The seller was buying them from Tesla at some kind of discount and then having them drop shipped directly to the buyers.

This seems to be a pattern. The ebay seller is in (or claims to be in) Canada, and the product is drop shipped from Tesla. I've heard of multiple accounts that fit this pattern. Something weird is going on. I wonder if these wall connectors are perhaps meant for the destination charging program, and Tesla isn't getting any money for them?

There are lots of things one can speculate about but coming up with the idea that Tesla is being robbed seems like a stretch.

For those of you suspicious that this is fraud, report the auction to eBay with your concerns.

Or contact Tesla with your worries.

There are lots of things one can speculate about but coming up with the idea that Tesla is being robbed seems like a stretch.

For those of you suspicious that this is fraud, report the auction to eBay with your concerns.

Or contact Tesla with your worries.

Well, it's wild speculation on my part, but I don't think it's such a stretch. Tesla does cover the hardware costs in the destination charging program.

You will always have one car that has to have a cable stretched across a garage or driveway.

No, I have my EVSE mounted on a wall segment that is between the two garage doors. For minimum length it would require one tesla to park backwards but a cable doesn't have to cross a garage. As is I can park in either garage or even be just outside either garage door and any of those 4 positions can be used to charge my Leaf. I'm sure all 4 positions would work for a Tesla as well (though 2 of the 4 spots would require backing in).

Well, it's wild speculation on my part, but I don't think it's such a stretch. Tesla does cover the hardware costs in the destination charging program.

I imagine people at Tesla can use a map... and that there are requirements for businesses to be approved for the destination charging program.

Or you could believe that the people at Tesla are dumb and are shipping chargers for free to residential addresses all over the USA because some guy in Quebec is asking them to.

And would most likely require a signed final from the local building official prior to sending out payment for the install.. so destination program seems highly unlikely.

This seems to be a pattern. The ebay seller is in (or claims to be in) Canada, and the product is drop shipped from Tesla. I've heard of multiple accounts that fit this pattern. Something weird is going on. I wonder if these wall connectors are perhaps meant for the destination charging program, and Tesla isn't getting any money for them?
From what I understand, the destination charging program is a lot more involved than Tesla just sending out a bunch of units to random locations.

Hi Chargers,

My electrician had one good idea when he installed the "Wall Connector." He ran the cord along
the beam over my car to reach my wife's S85D in the center stall.
There is no need to access the charger while charging.
The support pipe makes a nice place to attach the hanger for the charger handle.
When the Roadster is at home, it is against the wall.

Charger.jpg

Shawn

I ordered a genuine Tesla accessory that's normally $$$ dirt cheap off a Craigslist seller in Noethern CA. From the PayPal, I discovered he works at the Fremont Factory. Apparently, they give employees free giveaways and massive accessory discounts and they often sell them to make $$. BOOM.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I ordered a genuine Tesla accessory that's normally $$$ dirt cheap off a Craigslist seller in Noethern CA. From the PayPal, I discovered he works at the Fremont Factory. Apparently, they give employees free giveaways and massive accessory discounts and they often sell them to make $$. BOOM.

How much? Can you PM me his contact info? I am willing to buy a new one for $250-$300. Currently have gen 1..that I wanna replace with gen 2 for dual power sharing .

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
It seems that over the past 90 days or so the average selling price on eBay of brand new 24' Gen-2 wall connectors has plummeted to some selling for around $300.

Is a refresh imminent? Do I care?

I don't anticipate taking delivery of my Model 3 till later this summer but the low price of the current HPWC has me tempted to go ahead and get the unit now... so I can take my time with installation of the new circuit I will need.

Comments?

You have to watch for shipping costs for total price . This one looks low at $289 until you add the crazy $80 shipping.

NEW Tesla Motors Model S/X/3 2ND GEN Wall Connector w 24' Cable Charging Station | eBay