Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is going on with the price of the Tesla Gen 2 Wall Connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought one of these Wall Connectors from an eBay seller. Not listed as a Canada seller. Listed price $345 with free shipping. I offered him $300 and he accepted. It arrived in about a week. It was shipped from Newark, CA with a Tesla Packing Slip inside the box. I installed it in my garage the next day and it is charging my Model S at 48 amps. I have dual chargers.
The Wall Connector looks like it is a real Tesla product. High quality. I see nothing about it that looks like it is not what it is purported to be; a Gen 2 Tesla Wall Connector, hard wired, with a 24 foot cord. Model number 1050067-01-E
I wrote an email to Tesla before I bought the Wall Connector asking them about the legitimacy of these eBay Wall Connectors and whether they would have a Tesla warranty, but I never received an answer.

So here's my tale of woe.

As previously mentioned I scored 24' Tesla Wall Connector from a Quebec based eBay seller for $330 shipped.

It took about 3 weeks for the item to arrive but it did ultimately arrive and it does appear it might have been drop shipped directly from Tesla. I say "might have" because I never removed the packing invoice, more on that in a moment.... the item BTW shipped from Nevada.

It sat in my office for about a week and then I went to remove it from the box to do a test fit before meeting up with my electrician to do part of the installation.

That's when I discovered that he shipped me the 8' version.

So here's where it gets a bit painful;

1. The seller's initial response was if I shipped back to him, at my own expense, the 8' version he would ship back the 24' version. Considering the original item had free shipping this did not sit well with me and I asked him to provide a pre-paid label.

2. After some back and forth over the course of the week with the seller continuing to insist I pay to ship the item back to him I finally asked eBay to step in. The red flag for me was when the seller went from saying he would send me the 24' version to "I can't get the 24' version so I'll just have to refund your money".

3. eBay found in my favor and ordered him to refund my money, even if he hadn't yet purchased a return label to Canada and sent it to me.

4. eBay contacts me on Feb 6th indicating I should have received the funds back from the seller. I had not, so I called them, and buyer protection kicked in and eBay immediately refunded my $330. Realize at this point I still have the item.

5. I contact the seller and explain to him that because he didn't process my refund in a timely manner eBay refunded my money.

This is where it now gets weird.

a. All of a sudden the seller takes interest in me getting the item back to him.
b. First he claims he's busy at school, then magically I have a return mailer by UPS express no less in my eBay message box.
c. He starts to insist that I send the item back to him next business day.
d. I explain to him that he's been dragging this out for two weeks, that he will get his property back, but I will ship it back when it's convenient.
e. Now he tries to threaten me, claiming that if I don't send it back to him within 24 hours that he can somehow get eBay to revoke the refund... this is laughable, considering that eBay already found against this idiot and even told me that shipping it back to him at this point was something to do, "as the right thing to do", but I had no obligation to return it.
f. I explain to this idiot that I don't work for him, that he's caused me a lot of time and effort and that I'll ship it back to him when I get a chance. I also tell him if he's not happy about this to call eBay.
g. Seller goes dark, maybe he figured out I could keep his stuff if I wanted to and he better not push his luck.

Addendum.

I did ship the item back to him.

Be very wary of these sellers. This appeared to be some college kid scam artist iving in Quebec and it's very likely that he has found some way of getting ahold of these chargers where nothing is coming out of his pocket.