Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is going to make Model X Unique ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd like to see the Model X pay attention to the little details inside that make a larger SUV so much more useful than a sedan: storage storage storage. We don't have young kids any more, so looking at this as the car we use to take friends to the city, so I want the adults in the back seat to be treated to some luxury. Great lighting (even for reading), a great place to put drinks, ability to recline, arm rests, individual environment controls, heated seats. Basically, middle row should be just as comfortable and convenient as the front seats.

Sig#205

My guess is that Model X won't have any major unexpected unique features, but that it will get many many "little details" right in a way that makes the car work exceptionally well.

I'm thinking that it should have the comforts of a private jet, and performance to match!

My guess is that Model X won't have any major unexpected unique features, but that it will get many many "little details" right in a way that makes the car work exceptionally well.

I'm thinking that it should have the comforts of a private jet, and performance to match!

I like your thinking but do you really think Elon is going to get up there and say this is just a Model S with the rear seats facing forward ? And it only took 3 years to develop that.

I like your thinking but do you really think Elon is going to get up there and say this is just a Model S with the rear seats facing forward ? And it only took 3 years to develop that.

We've heard a number of rumors suggesting the second row seats are special (possibly articulated to turn outboard when the door opens?) and I think the falcon doors are going to be much smarter and more flexible, a bigger deal than a lot of people think.

Not just a model S with a functional third row, by any means. :)
Walter

We've heard a number of rumors suggesting the second row seats are special (possibly articulated to turn outboard when the door opens?) and I think the falcon doors are going to be much smarter and more flexible, a bigger deal than a lot of people think.

Not just a model S with a functional third row, by any means. :)
Walter

Totally agree with you but don't think Elon will let it come off without a big show !! Those things are mundane not showy.

I would like to see the MX interior step up to the level of the Mercedes S class. The sig MX will be over $100k. For that kind of money, it should be top of the class in all aspects and features, second fiddle to none.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJRc89IwCKVHJO4PeKmwueaord8haaU_q0cd2HE72tTr6q6N_jLkqLvzk.jpg
2014 Tesla Model S vs 2014 Mercedes-Benz S550!

The S-Class starts at $93k, so of course it will be more refined than a ... the interior and that was enough to declare the Mercedes the winner.
www.teslamotorsclub.com/.../31154-Motor-Trend-s-Head-2-Head-Ep-54- 2014-Tesla-Model-S-vs-2014-Mercedes-Benz-S550!

I want to see the Model X combine the very best features in its class ... and then add something better.

So I want better seats and practicality than a Volvo ... the reversing camera and park assist features of Ford / Lincoln ... GM's 4G LTE / WiFi and cellphone app ... the ergonomics of a VW ... better handling than a BMW ... and more.

I've a sneaking suspicion that the final version of the X won't disappoint. :D

I want to see the Model X combine the very best features in its class ... and then add something better.

So I want better seats and practicality than a Volvo ... the reversing camera and park assist features of Ford / Lincoln ... GM's 4G LTE / WiFi and cellphone app ... the ergonomics of a VW ... better handling than a BMW ... and more.

I've a sneaking suspicion that the final version of the X won't disappoint. :D

One of the few things I've been jealous of in some recent cars in the "bird's eye" parking cameras. With the Autopilot sensors, Tesla has a chance to go one better - they can have the camera view with objects superimposed on them as the sensors see them (Not a huge benefit over the standard bird's eye view, but if you have the data...)

I'm liking the suggestion about gesture (with key detection, of course) based opening of the rear and falcon doors.

I also saw the full implementation of Honda's right side blindspot camera this week on a relative's Odessy, and I was very impressed - it is significantly better than a mirror, even including distance lines for judging just where a car is, and I hope Tesla does get their exception/change for no side mirrors and brings something that's at least comparable to the table - which given their history I have every expectation they will, assuming the Feds let them leave the mirrors off. (The van's owners were thinking along similar lines - their comment was that they wished they had the same system for the left side.)
Walter

The cameras to substitute side mirrors should have been implemented by now I suppose. Newer Trams no longer use side mirrors and have substituted them with cameras. I reckon that's comparable situation and could be point of reference if up for debate

What has been suggested is to have "emergency" mirrors that can fold away into the body, that you open out if the cameras don't work, and have out until you're allowed not to have them out. Incidentally, side cameras would be a nice addition for use by Autopilot.

What has been suggested is to have "emergency" mirrors that can fold away into the body, that you open out if the cameras don't work, and have out until you're allowed not to have them out. Incidentally, side cameras would be a nice addition for use by Autopilot.

That thought had occurred to me. One of the things some folks have been worried about is how the car is going to know if someone is overtaking rapidly in the lane that you (or the navigation system, maybe in the future) tell the car to move in to under Autopilot.

Object recognition against the side view mirror camera would certainly be one answer to that concern, and more reliable than hoping the existing rear view camera has enough resolution to see adequately despite its wide angle lens, the best argument I could put forward previously.

For full autonomy you still need a way to look at the other side of stop signs, too - but the rear view cameras will certainly help.

(Maybe the X needs 3 way "mirror" camera pods with turn signals, with a rear looking camera, one looking down/out for bird's eye, and one looking out/forward for Autopilot to link to the front camera and get ~180 degree coverage or a little more?)

the side cameras substituting side mirrors are really exciting

the only issue is, what if it malfunctions or glitches. At least mirrors will forever work. They're mirrors.

In a modern car, an electrical malfunction or glitch can easily put you stuck on the side of the road. At that point, having real mirrors won't matter. ;) :p

(Seriously, though, the mirrors aren't any more mission critical than a lot of other electronic bits, and are not terribly failure prone. When is the last time you had a factory backup camera break?)
Walter