TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What is going to power our cars?

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by dpeilow, Aug 2, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

The most interesting thing I can draw from this is that there might be a time in the near future, 1-3 years time when supply of refined Li isn't keeping up with demand. Tha again will probably have a very bad effect on price. There is plenty of Li.

Cobos

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Most articles act like Lithium is like oil/gasoline in that it's a non renewable energy source that we burn up.

I believe there is plenty of lithium, it's just a matter of ramping up production because demand is going to start getting pretty heavy very soon.

3. Cobos

Cobos S60 owner since 2013

Good point Vfx, I would add get serious about getting the recycling efficiency up to above 90% as well asap. As you say,we don't use up any litium, we just need to reuse what we have. And how many grams does a full car battery use of litium anyway, I bet like everything else the most mass is taken up by support and packaging for the cells not the active ingredients.

Cobos

4. malcolm

malcolm Active Member