Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is happening to my paint?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The paint on the hood of my 2015 model S seems to be cracking and fading. I’ve tried rubbing compound so far with zero results. Anyone else ever experienced this?

Attachments

• D7D63158-90D2-4FF0-881E-80427E4919C1.jpeg
    D7D63158-90D2-4FF0-881E-80427E4919C1.jpeg
    902.6 KB · Views: 327
  • Funny
Reactions: Mr X
I have similar on my 2003 jaguar. From what I read, it can be caused by over zealous machine polishing. This overheats the paint. Paint doesn't stick to aluminium as well as on steel, so it drags it, causing the cracks.

Looks too orderly to be an animal. On one side it looks like you followed a dirty truck through a non-touchless car wash and the brushes or cloth strips dragged grit across your paint.

Also looks like a few swipes with a dirty cloth or sponge were made in the lower left.

It's difficult to tell whether the scratches are light reflecting off of scratches in the clear coat or if the damage goes all the way through the paint. If it's the former, a rubbing compound may help. There are clear coat safe rubbing compounds that you can try. If you've already tried one, or if the scratches go through the paint, a respray is really the only way to restore the finish.

Reactions: KJD
There's spots among the scratches that look like the clear coat is separating. If the body shops say it can't be buffed out then you'll have to have it repainted and it won't match the fenders. Are the fenders equally damaged?

Maybe finding another hood will be the quicker fix?

By "matching" I meant the new paint wouldn't match the faded fenders.

If the hood needs new paint it's not going to be cheap unless the shop has the right color left over from another car.

If the cracks aren't deep then wet sanding/buffing will help.