TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What is happening with Powerwall?

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by Modelx2016, May 17, 2016.

1. Modelx2016

Modelx2016 Member

What is up with the Powerwall? I reserved one on the 1st day we were allowed to. It stated deliveries start in the summer if I remember correctly. It is almost the middle of 2016 and I haven't heard anything from Tesla.

2. davecolene0606

Signed up at the reveal, one email... crickets

3. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

They are shipping in the US, but I think in small numbers so far. My Tesla Energy contact says I am getting one in a few weeks. Will post more when I get it.

4. Modelx2016

Modelx2016 Member

if possible can I have your contact info so I can email them. This is horrible how they communicate with their customers.

5. ecarfan

If you made a Powerwall reservation, Tesla will contact you when they are ready to sell you a unit. I think they have far more interest than they can handle in the near future.

I waited 8 months after making my Powerwall relegation last year the day that Tesla Energyas announced. Then out of the blue I got a call from Tesla Energy last February.

Patience young Jedi...

6. wang5150

wang5150 Member

They sent out a survey along with a request to see my electric bill a couple of months ago and then silence again.

Rumour is that Powerwall 2.0 will be launched this summer starting in CA first... I guess we all missed out on version 1.0.. I saw only a couple of version 1.0 installs (one was in Australia, I believe). There was also a photo showing how large they are... well the perspective is skewed but you get the idea.

Attached Files:

7. Vitold

Vitold Member

Tesla delivered over 2,500 Powerwalls and they are working on version two to be released in few weeks. Therefore your patience will be rewarded with an improved Powerwall and option to use 50% less expensive inverter.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  8. Grant Gerke

Grant Gerke Member

50% less expensive inverter?? Is that from their latest financial documents, where did you hear abou the option?

9. ecarfan

Yes, the Powerwall will be compatible with a much less expensive Sunnyboy SMA inverter, however that inverter is limited to 2.5kW, I believe, compared to the SolarEdge 7.5kW inverter.

10. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

I hope when they finally have things worked out, it is a really good and competitive product. I think Tesla Energy has a lot of potential here in both residential and commercial.

Possibilities that could be causing delays:
    • Trying to maximize inverter compatibility
    • Waiting on Gigafactory
    • Solving bugs found on initial installs (heard something about line noise issues, though I don't have good sources)
    • Rethinking what specs they want to support (what load it can handle, capacity, and longevity considerations)

11. electracity

electracity Active Member

My theory is that the powerwall will share automated cell and pack production with the model 3. So they didn't ramp the old production to meet demand.

This will be my theory until proven wrong. Then I will find a new theory.

• Funny x 1
  12. Modelx2016

Modelx2016 Member

I already have a solaredge inverter with my solar panels and they know that from the survery they sent out a few months ago. Still nothing about me getting a powerwall installed.

13. ecarfan

What model SolarEdge inverter do you have? Even if it is the correct model for the Powerwall it will have to be updated for it to be compatible.

14. Modelx2016

Modelx2016 Member

I mispoke. I thought I had the solar edge. I have Power one model PVI-4.2-OUTD-S-US-Z.

It is from Solar City that's why I got
    confused. But I thought from the survey that this one was compatabable also.

15. ecarfan

It is not, based on what my Tesla Energy contact has told me.

16. Modelx2016

Modelx2016 Member

Well then how are we sup pose to get a power wall then?

17. Ampster

Ampster Member

Buy a new inverter and couple it on the AC side.

18. Vsasson

Vsasson New Member

Me, too. Since then, I was sent a survey, which I answered, but nothing after that.

19. GSP

GSP Member

If you guys ember the Chademo adapter, the wait was years longer than expected. Tesla did deliver and reviews are great. You just have to remember they work on "Tesla Time." It will be worth the wait.

GSP

20. K-MTG

K-MTG Sunshade Captain of TMC

Got this email yesterday

Attached Files: