Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is happening with Powerwall?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got this email yesterday
Is that an online form that you fill out in your browser? That looks very different from the email I got from Tesla Energy last February. I recall being given a link that took me to an online form with a few questions.

According to the Tesla Energy person I've been communicating with for 3 months now, I will be able to purchase a Powerwall in a few weeks and it will be shipped directly to me. I have signed a contract with a local solar installer and expect the install to happen in a couple of months.

Is that an online form that you fill out in your browser? That looks very different from the email I got from Tesla Energy last February. I recall being given a link that took me to an online form with a few questions.

According to the Tesla Energy person I've been communicating with for 3 months now, I will be able to purchase a Powerwall in a few weeks and it will be shipped directly to me. I have signed a contract with a local solar installer and expect the install to happen in a couple of months.

It was simply an email with a PDF

I am interested in Powerwall and visited the website. There was no pricing information, just a form where I submitted my name, email address, and phone number. I thought by now there would at least be pricing info. Any information would be appreciated. I'm comparing this vs. traditional generator backup vs. GoalZero battery backup.

To update my situation: I have signed the Tesla Energy Powerwall purchase agreement. I will be buying my Powerwall directly from Tesla. My solar install is scheduled for early August. When the exact solar install date is finalized, Tesla Energy will ship the Powerwall to me a day or two before the start of the solar install, and will send someone to my house to supervise the Powerwall installation and train the solar company installer on how to do it.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk and EinSV
To update my situation: I have signed the Tesla Energy Powerwall purchase agreement. I will be buying my Powerwall directly from Tesla. My solar install is scheduled for early August. When the exact solar install date is finalized, Tesla Energy will ship the Powerwall to me a day or two before the start of the solar install, and will send someone to my house to supervise the Powerwall installation and train the solar company installer on how to do it.

How do you buy directly from Tesla?

How do you buy directly from Tesla?
I made a Powerwall reservation the day that Tesla Energy was launched last year. I heard nothing until late February 2016 when a Tesla Energy rep called me and said they had a Powerwall ready for me. I had not yet finalized which solar company I was going to use so that took several months. Now that I have a date for my solar install (early August) Tesla has agreed to ship me a Powerwall at that time.

I do not believe that anyone can just call up Tesla Energy and buy a Powerwall at this time. If you have a reservation for a Powerwall, I think you will just have to wait until they call you. My guess is that the demand is much greater than the supply, and it will be a few years before that changes, the Gigafactory needs to be built out before high volume production commences.

I made a Powerwall reservation the day that Tesla Energy was launched last year. I heard nothing until late February 2016 when a Tesla Energy rep called me and said they had a Powerwall ready for me. I had not yet finalized which solar company I was going to use so that took several months. Now that I have a date for my solar install (early August) Tesla has agreed to ship me a Powerwall at that time.

I do not believe that anyone can just call up Tesla Energy and buy a Powerwall at this time. If you have a reservation for a Powerwall, I think you will just have to wait until they call you. My guess is that the demand is much greater than the supply, and it will be a few years before that changes, the Gigafactory needs to be built out before high volume production commences.

They called me but wanted a different solar company so I can buy from Tesla directly. Can I get any electrician to do the install? My solar provider is solar city though and I need a different inverter.

Can I get any electrician to do the install?
I would never assume that "any electrician" is capable of working with a solar system and integrating a Powerwall into it.

You say you have a SolarCity PV system. Ask SolarCity to recommend a local electrician.

I think if you ask Tesla Energy to send someone to your house to advise the electrician who is connecting your Powerwall, they will do that.

I signed up on the day it was announced too, not heard anything yet. I'm building a house, and hope to move in Oct/Nov, so it would be nice to get an ETA, but any emails I send go unanswered. I also read somewhere that they're not selling in TX yet, as the Powerwall's don't do so well in hot locations.

Ecarfan, was finally contacted by Tesla. The rep said that he will pass my name to the "authorized resale" in my area. I don't think I can purchase directly, but I can ask when he does the follow up call this week. I think my solar installer is going to be authorized in a shirt time too. I too reserved on the 1st day.

Reviving the thread, sorry if the news is posted elsewhere, glad to be pointed to the right spot, but it didn't come up in a search.
But what is going on? How are deliveries being decided. I saw someone in Houston, TX got theirs, but my friend here in Missouri has been waiting and has heard nothing despite putting down a deposit the first day they took them.

If I order one now, when will I get it? What's the production rate?

Reviving the thread, sorry if the news is posted elsewhere, glad to be pointed to the right spot, but it didn't come up in a search.
But what is going on? How are deliveries being decided. I saw someone in Houston, TX got theirs, but my friend here in Missouri has been waiting and has heard nothing despite putting down a deposit the first day they took them.

If I order one now, when will I get it? What's the production rate?

Tesla called me in March about installing the PW2 but I deferred as I hope to do it together with a Solar Roof install.

Quite a few other folks have also been contacted but not sure how Tesla is handling the rollout/scheduling.

More info is in this thread starting at about the third page: Powerwall 2 "waiting list"