Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is inside the mobile connector?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good day! Does anyone have pictures of the disassembled mobile connector? I want to know about his insides, and is there a contactor in it? If so, which one? Or somehow his principle of work is arranged differently? If anyone knows - tell me) Thank you in advance for your answers!

na_mobile_connector.png

I would imagine it's a small contactor rather than a relay, but I've been surprised before. Either way you can hear it make a few seconds after plugging in. If someone has a dead one they want to donate I'd be up for disassembling and documenting it, but a cursory glance at mine tells me its not easy to get into without damaging it.

I would imagine it's a small contactor rather than a relay, but I've been surprised before. Either way you can hear it make a few seconds after plugging in. If someone has a dead one they want to donate I'd be up for disassembling and documenting it, but a cursory glance at mine tells me its not easy to get into without damaging it.

In the High Powered wall charger, such a miniature contactor:

p275KpWCoj64Qr.png

• Informative
Reactions: qadaemon
Well, the main point of EVSE brick is to protect user and vehicle in case of any anomalies.
Protection starts from relays, as anything before relay is energized all the time.
Some of the input power goes to logic board. Voltage is reduced, most likely DC somewhere between 5-12V.
Then there is a LED strip bar for visual feedback. And of course, fuses. In case of short circuit during charging.
Because small relay can not disengage during abnormal load.
Logic board has communication connection to the plug. Tesla should use same protocol as J1772.
Logic board also verifies grounding. And input voltage. Must be somewhere between 100-250V AC (phase to neutral).
And board should also be able to adjust resistance according to adapter used on the wall side. Send it to plug side
so car can read it and set the maximum charging current according to instructions.
In case of push of a button on the handle, control signal changes and asks for no load.
If vehicle accepts it (vehicle unlocked) it asks onboard charger to drop the current to zero.
After load has dropped logic board inside EVSE can de-energize relay with no arching happening (arching degrades contacts).
As soon as voltage at the plug drops to zero due to contactor disengagement vehicle releases small pin inside the socket.
And after that user can remove the plug. All this takes 1-3 seconds.

I've heard EVSE also has a temperature sensor inside the wall plug adapter. If that is true there must be additional pins for
thermistor. Or at least one extra pin. EVSE might also have temperature sensor in the car plug side. Or maybe car socket has that.

There are pictures and other info in this thread:

Tesla Model S UMC cut open and modified to J1772

GSP
Well, the main point of EVSE brick is to protect user and vehicle in case of any anomalies.
Protection starts from relays, as anything before relay is energized all the time.
Some of the input power goes to logic board. Voltage is reduced, most likely DC somewhere between 5-12V.
Then there is a LED strip bar for visual feedback. And of course, fuses. In case of short circuit during charging.
Because small relay can not disengage during abnormal load.
Logic board has communication connection to the plug. Tesla should use same protocol as J1772.
Logic board also verifies grounding. And input voltage. Must be somewhere between 100-250V AC (phase to neutral).
And board should also be able to adjust resistance according to adapter used on the wall side. Send it to plug side
so car can read it and set the maximum charging current according to instructions.
In case of push of a button on the handle, control signal changes and asks for no load.
If vehicle accepts it (vehicle unlocked) it asks onboard charger to drop the current to zero.
After load has dropped logic board inside EVSE can de-energize relay with no arching happening (arching degrades contacts).
As soon as voltage at the plug drops to zero due to contactor disengagement vehicle releases small pin inside the socket.
And after that user can remove the plug. All this takes 1-3 seconds.

I've heard EVSE also has a temperature sensor inside the wall plug adapter. If that is true there must be additional pins for
thermistor. Or at least one extra pin. EVSE might also have temperature sensor in the car plug side. Or maybe car socket has that.
Man that's adorable. And my 20A AC unit has some giant monstrosity in too-small an area going on. I guess it does cycle a few more times a day than the Tesla :)
It definitely has a contactor or relay of some sort - the AC wires don't connect until the computers tell them to. I don't have your pictures.

You are best! Thank you so much:)