Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is it, a poltergeist?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My apologies in creating a new thread on a topic probably covered numerous times elsewhere. Hunting around, though, I wasn't quite able to get the info I need.

I've had my Model X for just under 3 months now, so I'm definitely still a newbie, but feel like I've learned quite a bit — we Tesla owners are quite an inquisitive lot, and I think that serves us well. Until recently, my ownership has been without hitch or glitch. But that ended about 5 days ago.

Without warning & seemingly without any provocation, my Model X has started doing weird things. Here's what I've observed:
  • It all started with my GPS location freezing. Is this related to anything? Who knows? But I figured I'd add it here in case it is. I tried a couple or three scroll-wheel resets & turning the car off, but that did nothing. Only after I left the car & let it sit for about 3 hours did the GPS location finally update properly & return to normal. I haven't experienced this sort of behavior before or since this singular occurrence.
  • Shortly thereafter, the really unusual behavior started. I haven't quite figured it all out but here's what I'm noticing. I might be getting the sequence of some of this out of order, but hopefully you'll get the idea of what's going on. I get in the car and press the brake to close the door & get the car started. Instead of the usual behavior, the hazard lights start flashing, not for long, but maybe for 5 - 10 seconds.
  • The seat may or may not move from the easy-entry profile setting to the proper driving setting. It can go back & forth sometimes too.
  • The mirrors are completely out of sync — they seem to stay folded when they should be out & stay out when they should be folded.
  • The Homelink garage door auto open and close seems to be messed up. It's worked not perfectly, but pretty reliably until a few days ago. Doesn't auto open at times, which I've never experienced before. And may or may not auto close, which is more likely to occur, but it seems to be less predictable now.
  • And, upon exiting the car, the car may not lock as I walk away and the hazard lights may flash for a while again. Notevery time, but sometimes.
  • When parked in my garage, the charge port may not respond as expected -- either to a press or to a press on the button on charging connector (sorry, it's late & I'm too lazy to look up what the proper term for that is).
  • Also, earlier today, I went out to the garage to only to find the door to the Model X cracked open a few inches. My wife had recently left in our other car. She always carries her key with her in her purse, so this typically triggers the usual wake-up from the Model X as it unlocks & extends the mirrors, and, depending on where she goes, an opening of the driver's door. Apparently, unlike all other times that I'm aware of, the door didn't close when she left, but rather stayed ajar.
So there you have it. That's all I'm aware of. Any suggestions or thoughts on what's going on are appreciated.

Oh, in case it's relevant, the software is 2018.2.

Who ya gonna call???.........Ghostbusters!

Did you do a double reset, top and scroll button? Also make sure key fob isn’t within 10 feet of the X (yes, even thru walls) (make sure u tell the wifey as I had to do the same thing)...the force is very strong with this one!

That’s all I have for now...

Did you do a double reset, top and scroll button?

Thanks for the reply. I have not done those together, as in all four buttons simultaneously, but I have independently done both of those resets. I'm a little unclear as to the need to do the reset by pressing both top buttons as I've read here on TMC that it's no longer necessary. However, I figured it wouldn't hurt, so I did it anyway.

With the exception of the door staying ajar and the car not locking, all this behavior occurred while I was sitting in the driver's seat with my key fob. In the case of the car not locking & the hazards flashing as I walked away, my wife was with me, so both keys were well away from the car and I saw the typical mirror folding occur that I'd normally expect when I get sufficiently far away from the car.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
Oh that is weird, sorry you are having these problems.

Was there a software update or service center visit in a short time span before the ghost moved in?
Sounds like an issue with the central control module that you'll need Tesla to fix. Or may be a door or seat switch causing the software to bounce between operating modes (driver in car vs out of car, door open vs closed).

Need to borrow a proton accelerator? (warning: it's unlicensed) ;)

Was there a software update or service center visit in a short time span before the ghost moved in?

No, that's the inexplicable part of it to me. It just arrived completely out of the blue and with no event that I can think of that I can associate with it that may have caused it. Part of it does sound like it could be something like a seat switch, but the hazard lights flashing really confuse me.

No, that's the inexplicable part of it to me. It just arrived completely out of the blue and with no event that I can think of that I can associate with it that may have caused it. Part of it does sound like it could be something like a seat switch, but the hazard lights flashing really confuse me.

Yeah, when things for sideways... Long shot thought was that it wasn't hazards, but the flash on lock/unlock happening repeatedly...

I turned off the Easy Entry feature & deleted that profile. Also turned off the automatic locking, the auto mirror folding, and the auto door opening. That doesn't seem to have affected anything.

For those of you who want to see what I'm talking about, here's a link to a short movie. You can hear the mirrors fold & unfold as well. Dropbox - IMG_0025.TRIM.MOV

Is there any diagnosing that Tesla could do remotely?

Thanks for the reply. I have not done those together, as in all four buttons simultaneously, but I have independently done both of those resets. I'm a little unclear as to the need to do the reset by pressing both top buttons as I've read here on TMC that it's no longer necessary. However, I figured it wouldn't hurt, so I did it anyway.

With the exception of the door staying ajar and the car not locking, all this behavior occurred while I was sitting in the driver's seat with my key fob. In the case of the car not locking & the hazards flashing as I walked away, my wife was with me, so both keys were well away from the car and I saw the typical mirror folding occur that I'd normally expect when I get sufficiently far away from the car.
No, you don't do all four together... the top two are for the binnacle reset, the scroll wheels are for the MCU/large screen reset.

See the Model X reset post for tons of details:
Model X Reset Techniques

I've turned off auto-open also so doors never want to open into traffic if parallel parked.

Reactions: Cowby
I had that same ghost in my car a few months back; brake pedal pushing back when pressed, dome lights flashing, door cracked, all lights flashing randomly. The 12v battery was low and needed replacing. The BMS actually failed which lead to a low then dead 12v battery.

Thanks for all your replies. Looks like I have some good direction in terms of what to pursue to track this down further.

Seems like the 12V battery is the source of a lot of problems. Anyone feel free to school me on the role of the 12V battery in the car or point me to where I read more about it.

poltergeist11_756_426_81_s.jpg

I know this post is a few years old, but my 2016 Model X started doing this same exact thing. I've had the 12V battery replaced under warranty once, but I'm long out of it now. Did you ever find a resolution to this issue?
I have a 2016, I am on my fourth 12v Battery. I just had it replaced last week with the warning message of low 12v battery. It was replaced 1.5 years ago as well. I asked them if they had a battery warranty. It is only a year. I am out of warranty as well, but, I don't think it would even qualify a warranty event under extended contracts. It was only $238 for a mobile service replacement. I thought that was reasonable. I paid $200 for my wife's ICE car. So, not bad.

I just had it replaced last week with the warning message of low 12v battery
Thanks for the info. I'm trying to decide if I want Tesla to replace it or if I'll just get a Ohmmu replacement and do it myself. A few hundred dollars difference. I'm not getting a pop up warning, so I'm not positive it's the 12V, unless this is common bad battery behavior. The hazard lights turn on by themselves and the car keeps turning off, with the easy entry profile switching on at the same time. Sounds very closed to the OPs experience. My GPS and all other controls are working fine, but I did see one minor graphics glitch on the map today. Temperatures have dropped a bit in the past few days so that usually the time batteries start to act funky if they're weak.

I just looked at my Tesla service in the app and noticed it shows the car has an error "Vehicle may not restart/Service is required". Seems like this is associated with the 12V battery. Fun times.

Last edited:
I have to be honest, I don't really remember the resolution to this although it didn't stick around very long -- like with it appearing, it just sort of went away. Although a software update may have put things to rest for good. I don't really think the 12V battery had anything to do with it. Mine wasn't replaced until earlier this year and none of these issues had really reappeared. I have learned to keep my key fob a good distance away from the car when I'm not using it. I think that it being nearby can trigger some unexpected car behaviors at times.