Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is it up to in the Garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks. NOBODY here wants to search!

Thats not just here.

In general, people now tend to think something like "My question is simple, I am sure someone can answer it really quick if I hit that new thread button. It will take me forever to find it, and if I do find it, its probably old. Much faster to just ask again".

Some people even throw in "I searched but I couldnt find.." and some even acknowledge what they are doing "I am sure this has been asked before, but...."

Like this thread from a brand new user, who joined today, to post about their pick up experience and ask "are these panel gaps normal? I apologize if this has been asked before...."

Thoughts and questions on delivery and quality control - help please?

It’s a legitimate question. I’ve been a Tesla M3 owner for two yeasts. My car recently has been behaving the same way. I charge to 80% in the evening and by morning it drops to 75% in a garage with temp around 45 degrees F with no sentry.
5% drop in a moderate temp garage is unusual. Sentry is only one source of power suck. The others are Smart Summon, and Climate Protection. Check to see if those are also off.

5% is roughly 15miles. That is over 1mile/hr of phantom drain. That only happens with one of the three sources of power drain I listed above. Typical drain in Winter is 0.4miles/hr or less.

Thats not just here.

In general, people now tend to think something like "My question is simple, I am sure someone can answer it really quick if I hit that new thread button. It will take me forever to find it, and if I do find it, its probably old. Much faster to just ask again".

Some people even throw in "I searched but I couldnt find.." and some even acknowledge what they are doing "I am sure this has been asked before, but...."

Like this thread from a brand new user, who joined today, to post about their pick up experience and ask "are these panel gaps normal? I apologize if this has been asked before...."

Thoughts and questions on delivery and quality control - help please?
So, you've discovered humans are both lazy and self-important.

• Love
Reactions: Clivew and kavyboy
First time home chargers!! After it completes the charge, it gathers information thru the electric wiring of the house from any device connected. It sends all the info (bank accounts, spa appts, on-line browsing, etc) back to the Mother Ship. Tesla will initialize new search updates disguised as 'software updates' that really don't update anything.
(Have to keep this short as my M3 and my wife's MS may be watching.)

First time home chargers!!
After it completes the charge, it gathers information thru the electric wiring of the house from any device connected.
It sends all the info (bank accounts, spa appts, on-line browsing, etc) back to the Mother Ship.
Tesla will initialize new search updates disguised as 'software updates' that really don't update anything.
(Have to keep this short as my M3 and my wife's MS may be watching.)
I kind of do the opposite in my case. I 'inject' from my home my Internet signal in the electrical wires.
So I can 'extract' back the Internet in my garage and use it for software download update or to access my dashcam.

• Informative
Reactions: smartypnz
New Model 3, charges to 90% in my garage. Been "resting" there for more than 1 hour after charging, it keeps making "noises", sounds like fans. What is it doing? Now the charge state says 89%. The Vents and climate control are off. The screen is blank..

A common newbie question. You'll get use to the sounds the car makes as it adjusts to keep the battery in a healthy state. People here just having fun with you. From your post this all sounds perfectly normal. I see you are in Australia, summer down there. The AU Govt Meteorology website is predicting Sat. 12/26 reaching a high of 34C (93F) where you are. Likely your garage is hot and it's simply the battery monitoring system adjusting for temperature. Perfectly normal for it to kick on periodically even when the car is inside a warm garage. Charging also heats the battery. You will still hear the fans kick on outside when it's sitting in the sun during non-summer weather. Car's doing it's thing. There will be some fluctuation on state of charge like described as well. Assume the car is still plugged in? If so it will go up and down a bit. Not a worry.

Congrats on the new car. We've been to Australia in past years in late November, and to Alice Springs, so I immediately thought oh, it's summer there!

BTW TMC has an Australian section that you might enjoy checking out if you haven't already. Australia

It’s a legitimate question. I’ve been a Tesla M3 owner for two yeasts. My car recently has been behaving the same way. I charge to 80% in the evening and by morning it drops to 75% in a garage with temp around 45 degrees F with no sentry.

Your situation is the opposite from Australia's with BC in winter now. Batteries will lose charge when it's cold. Battery management is monitoring and if plugged in will also warm the battery and account for the loss. Cold batteries don't like to charge as fast and that's why if you are driving to a Supercharger if you Navigate to one, it will pre-condition the battery (warm it) so that it will charge at a faster rate than a cold battery.

Ideally if you were leaving for work in the winter months, it's suggested you set your charging time to end near when you plan to depart. Also a cold battery as you've no doubt seen already will have reduced regen braking until the battery warms up, sometimes like 10 minutes into driving.

BTW Elon has said you can safely charge the Model 3 to 90% state of charge, which is what I typically have done. The extra range should help during the winter.

Last edited:
New Model 3, charges to 90% in my garage. Been "resting" there for more than 1 hour after charging, it keeps making "noises", sounds like fans. What is it doing? Now the charge state says 89%. The Vents and climate control are off. The screen is blank..

if you drove it before AC Can take up to 90min to dry the vents to prevent stinky AC. The car wont charge until it drops to more than 1% below target SOC.

The battery management always understates your range, so particulaly after a long charge at a destination charger and then driving home and leaving the car parked you might get i.e. a 1-4% rangeboost.

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
Sorry if this was already mentioned, I didn’t read the whole thread.

Most of the time, large over night phantom drain is caused by the car waking up, then using the DC/DC converter to charge the 12v battery.

The car’s main battery pack is used for this process, and the car will make quite a few various noises while it’s charging the 12v battery.

• Informative
Reactions: pmifsud
I usually don't stay in garage with my car as I have better things to do. However, I could see that the car is often active on the network. I think that some of the sounds might be attributed to Tesla getting information from your car, and some are definitely the result of Elon Mask using your car to play Cyberpunk 2077, it also can be that Monsters.Inc are using your car as a door...