Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is it with all these rear-end accidents? Here's my footage.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have looked at a number of rear ended accidents. The driver who usually at fault is looking either left or right, not in their own flow of traffic in their lane.

I have observed myself that if I just keep my focus on my lane, I would be aware of the car travel speed and stopping ahead of me minutes before their tail light turns red to stop.

Once you see the red light, that is when it's all over if you are in bumber to bumper traffic.

I'll disengage AutoPilot if someone is too close to my Rear End just in case. I don't want a Phantom Braking Situation to be a reason for my Tesla to go into the shop.
That and with the Regen Braking plus conventional brakes our Tesla's will stop faster than most cars out there.

It kinda looks like he blew a tire and it forced his truck into the car... ?
Neh, she was drunk or on drugs. After stumbling out of the car, she mumbled something about falling asleep. Then when she heard about calling the police, she said "I aint going to jail for this", go in the truck and took off. The police never found her, turns out the truck registration was expired, she no longer lives at the address on the registration. That's where the police stops. Insurance company passed the ~$100K claim to some collections agency which also ran into a dead end. Even if they find her, there will be jurisdiction issue as she is a native Indian (apparently special laws apply to her) plus the accident happened in a grey area where a local road turns into a highway, so from the get-go there was a local cops vs. state cops jurisdiction question.

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
Neh, she was drunk or on drugs. After stumbling out of the car, she mumbled something about falling asleep. Then when she heard about calling the police, she said "I aint going to jail for this", go in the truck and took off. The police never found her, turns out the truck registration was expired, she no longer lives at the address on the registration. That's where the police stops. Insurance company passed the ~$100K claim to some collections agency which also ran into a dead end. Even if they find her, there will be jurisdiction issue as she is a native Indian (apparently special laws apply to her) plus the accident happened in a grey area where a local road turns into a highway, so from the get-go there was a local cops vs. state cops jurisdiction question.

Well that sucks.

Sure, and if you turn around and fire a gun at him, too. I'm talking about when the driver in front is moving at a non-negative forward speed, for whatever reason.
Well, Geico is telling me they won't assign fault to the driver who rear ended me because he claims I changed lanes and ran into him. This is despite the damage being obviously from a rear impact to the right side of my rear bumper. The other guy has damage on the front toward the left side. The Geico said if the damage to my bumper had been in the middle they would have assigned blame.

I don't have a dash cam, so no record, but I'm going to ask Tesla if they can do anything with what they got from the rear camera. I called them after the accident and asked them to save it because it might be requested by subpoena. But police never got involved, so I don't think that's going to happen. Maybe they'll be willing to answer a question or two, or describe what the camera showed? Anybody ever have any luck with that?