Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is it with ICE truck drivers? Is it just me.....?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been noticing a HUGE uptick in aggressive driving when it comes to trucks lately.

Blatant, not mistaken or accidental issues.

Live in AZ so this may be isolated. However, I have been sandwiched, passed in emergency lanes, swerved at and passed only to have brakes slammed on after passing.

I know what you are all thinking, perhaps you are driving too slow or in the wrong lane. However, these things couldn’t be further from the truth.

Just would like to know if anyone else has been experiencing this as well.

Safe driving all!

While I haven’t followed you or personally observed your driving, I suspect it’s not you. Here in the Florida panhandle jacked-up large trucks are driven very aggressively and some of the drivers seem to take it as a personal affront to SEE a Tesla. Not all of them, of course. I was coal-rolled on the very first drive I took; had less than 15 miles on the odometer. I don’t get it.

Reactions: Gasaraki
While I haven’t followed you or personally observed your driving, I suspect it’s not you. Here in the Florida panhandle jacked-up large trucks are driven very aggressively and some of the drivers seem to take it as a personal affront to SEE a Tesla. Not all of them, of course. I was coal-rolled on the very first drive I took; had less than 15 miles on the odometer. I don’t get it.
Well I get it. They're axxholes.

It usually isn't slow and timid drivers that provoke incidents of road rage - it's much more common for that to happen when they feel like the other driver was being aggressive around them.

And yes, there are a lot of idiots on the road lately. The changed freeway environment with so many folks teleworking seems to be drawing out the aggressive idiot in a lot of people.

Reactions: paratrooper
I have been noticing a HUGE uptick in aggressive driving when it comes to trucks lately.

Live in AZ so this may be isolated. However, I have been sandwiched, passed in emergency lanes, swerved at and passed only to have brakes slammed on after passing.

I know what you are all thinking, perhaps you are driving too slow or in the wrong lane. However, these things couldn’t be further from the truth.

Safe driving all!

Even in EV-happy California, I'm keenly aware of what Tesla represents to many. Not actual facts, just the symbolism for the knee-jerk crowd. Everyone assumes we're Leftist greenies with a hard on for kale and tofu as we tool around in our Zero-Emissions vehicles in vegan leather seats.

Here are the factors I think cause a self-selected profile of drivers to react negatively to Tesla drivers. Note, this is my own observation of a trend or patterns of behavior. Obviously there are exceptions to this and I'm not attempting to speak in absolutes here. Most people guessing at my political ideas from my car would probably get a lot wrong.

1. The recent election went Biden's way. People are still upset about this. Some people still think there were shenanigans. Nothing is set in stone yet in the minds of some. Your Tesla is a locus of that frustration for those who assume a lot, or have ideas about Tesla drivers and our political persuasions.

2. Die-hard ICE cars may dislike us, or feel threatened by EVs, and want to posture and show dominance. It's male (usually) posturing and it has everything to do with perception. You're the EV-driving Lefty (in their minds) and although we're obviously of different political persuasions, this is all it takes for some.

3. Boy racer types don't (necessarily) hate us but do want to see what our car is capable-of. This is more true if they know what you're driving or know you're in a Performance vehicle. Maybe they want to 'beat a Tesla'. Now, the truck example is way too aggressive for a friendly impromptu speed contest, but I've seen a lot of this posturing from muscle car drivers (Chargers and Camaros) and the occasional BMW, Civic Si or SiR, Suby, and any number of hot hatches. Often the invitation is a close pass (close to your rear end) which is meant to incite some type of response. It's a shot across the stern, if you will.

4. Some people think you're rich/wealthy and hate you for that reason. This is sad because so many of us had to work our bums off to get the cars we have.

5. Some people are just crazy or venting their vehicular spleen and driving like morons everywhere and tailgating everyone.

Either way, it's definitely not just your imagination playing tricks on you and I don't think it's your driving, because slow drivers will attract road rage from everyone if they clog the 'fast' lanes. I experienced the same thing when I drove a smart car or a FIAT 500 Abarth. In the smart, people tried to 'push me around' due to being so tiny. Intimidation techniques. In the Abarth, I attracted boy-racer types trying to goad me in to a contest, usually a friendly contest though.

Road rage is a separate phenomenon that won't necessarily be related to profiling. The truck in the aforementioned example is basically engaging in aggressive male posturing in a dominance display and displaying contempt and disrespect. You'd be hard pressed to find stories of this type of posturing from females, though I'm not saying it never happens.

Last edited:
It usually isn't slow and timid drivers that provoke incidents of road rage - it's much more common for that to happen when they feel like the other driver was being aggressive around them.

And yes, there are a lot of idiots on the road lately. The changed freeway environment with so many folks teleworking seems to be drawing out the aggressive idiot in a lot of people.

It really depends. If the slow driver is on a single lane road or driving next to another car at the same speed, the road rage will be extremely predictable, especially if they get obstinate about it and fail to yield or use a turnout.

Barring that, they're pylons to be dispatched without incident.

Its just crazy... Been driving some sort of AFV for many years now. (Starting with insight and Prius 1) Never have I had this sort of what seems to be blatant targeting.

My reasons for owning these past AFV’s?

Humans DIE for Oil! Mileage was only a perk....

Stop death and war for Oil!!! - Who cant get behind that?

It definitely did not help with dating or pick up hotties! :D

I have seen smug behavior on both sides. Those that think they are better than ICE drivers because they drive an AFV and those ICE drivers that want to keep it real son!

This “Truck” rage just seems to have been REALLY out of control the last 6 months.

Perhaps it does have to due with elections, COVID or just being locked up and or being lonely. Thing is that these trucks aren’t beaters and probably cost the same as a well outfitted Tesla.

Had clients in the car today when the latest idiot wanted to sideswipe us. Ugh!

Anyways, I appreciate everyone that contributed to this thread.

Be safe out there and stay healthy!

Last edited:
As a former Prius owner and current M3 owner I can attest to “you’re not the a-hole.” Fortunately for me, I live in a relatively woodsy area where a large proportion of cars are Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar, etc. A M3 doesn’t upset anyone here, so I go largely unnoticed. On occasion, though, I visit Newark and New Castle in Delaware. When I do, I am coal-rolled by pick-ups probably 1 out of 10 trips. It happened more often when I drove a Prius. I haven’t had the experience of anyone doing anything stupidly aggressive yet. I’ve been driving the M3 for about 17 months.

Oh boy. While I certainly have my strong opinions about many things when it comes to politics, for my own sanity, I stay as neutral as I can. With that being said I had a coworker come up to me and mock me as if my Model 3P was not “American enough” compared to his Ram 1500 and Hellcat Charger. I promptly told him my car was more American than either of his Dodge cars will ever be. Whether it’s parts content or labor for US sold cars, for better or worse, Tesla has any “American” car manufacturer beat when it comes to “Americanness”. It’s always dumb trying to win those arguments but here I am.

Safe driving all!

I too have also noticed a huge uptick in stupid driving in AZ and, while there are truck drivers who are very safe and compact car drivers that are idiots, it does seem that a subset of the truck folks are specializing in a particularly hostile form of anti-social behavior. Here are some Big Truck Behaviors that I have personally seen while driving around the The Wild Wild West that signal danger:

1. Jacked up trucks with huge diameter off road tires that handle like pigs and take forever to stop - use caution
2. Arm hanging out the window - use caution
3. Expired tags - use caution
3. Decals in the rear window like " Live Free or Die " - use caution
4. Trucks without a single undented panel - use caution
5. Confederate Battle Flag flying - danger
6. Coal rolling - danger
7. Trucks going 20 mph over the limit because they know that they will not be pulled over in Covid times - danger
8. Rolling the window down to shout out a blast of anger while driving by - danger
9. Unholstering the " finger " to display to you while driving by - danger
9. Unholstering a gun and pointing it at other drivers - extreme danger

Last edited:
I do see a lot of aggressive drivers who do strange things when I drive by in a Tesla. I think it bothers some people that a car that is so green is also so much faster than almost every other car on the market. They were OK with the Prius because it was one of the slowest cars on the road so it did not intimidate them. But the Model 3 leaves everyone in the dust while being zero emission, and some people simply can’t handle that.

Safe driving all!
Happened to me too!!!

Plenty of jerks out there from both political parties. I think there is a lot of pent up frustration because of COVID and it’s understandable. I’ve only been coal rolled a couple of times...I chalk it up to ignorance or insecurity. I am very much a guns and God guy...and proud of it. My Tesla is a great American car with incredible ingenuity and technology....