Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is it with ICE truck drivers? Is it just me.....?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Right now, the combination of COVID restrictions, uncertainty and risk, plus a fragile economy and unemployment, all combined with the stress of the election (no matter what side you might be on) is just too much for many people. I see aggressive and stupid on the road every day, and from every class of vehicle, from motorcycles up to commercial trucks.

I don't know what it's going to take for people to start to calm down, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Be careful out there everyone. Don't return aggression, just disengage and leave. You don't know who you might be dealing with and what kind of loose cannon they are. It ain't worth it.

Get your Sentry Mode / Dashcam running and working if you haven't already, and use that to pursue anything you need to AFTER you're safe.

Not a new phenomenon and certainly not just trucks. I’m not sure how driving Instruction is done for the masses now but my daughter took a course that was heavy on academics but light on actual driving. I can tell you that driving with her in Colorado was an experience and not having access to the controls really let me see how bad some other drivers are. My point is that how people are taught to drive has a big impact on how they perform as they gain more experience. Everyone is in a hurry nowadays and instead of planning ahead it’s easier to speed and drive like a maniac. Just a thought.

Reactions: electricar and KenC
Right now, the combination of COVID restrictions, uncertainty, and risk, plus a fragile economy and unemployment, all combined with the stress of the election (no matter what side you might be on) is just too much for many people. I see aggressive and stupid on the road every day, and from every class of vehicle, from motorcycles up to commercial trucks.

I don't know what it's going to take for people to start to calm down, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Be careful out there everyone. Don't return aggression, just disengage, and leave. You don't know who you might be dealing with and what kind of loose cannon they are. It ain't worth it.

Get your Sentry Mode / Dashcam running and working if you haven't already, and use that to pursue anything you need to AFTER you're safe.

I agree with @SomeJoe7777 100%. Would also like to add sometimes aggressive road behavior is due to mania. Aggressive driving and excessive speeding is one of the symptoms of a manic episode. I'm sure we've all witnessed a driver on the highway going 20+ mph faster than everyone else and cutting closely around traffic.

I had a large pickup invade my freeway lane twice yesterday in Fremont, CA. I wonder if it was because he saw my Taiwanese-American wife's last name on the license plate? (I'm Norwegian-American but was driving her ride.)

Cannot wait to get my tri-motor CyberTruck hopefully late next year! Go GigaAustin!

I didn't know what "rolling coal" means (never happened to me) so I googled it:

upload_2020-11-15_5-37-56.png

That is so disgusting, unhealthy and dangerous for the victim, and bad for the environment! Why is this not universally illegal? It's like defecating in public with a motor vehicle. These vehicles should be impounded until their owners pay to have the modifications reversed IMHO.

Plenty here in Indiana. Intentional and unintentional. Or perhaps I should say some is directed at Tesla drivers, and some just because they can. Yesterday one "coal rolled" through an intersection. I was 4 cars back in a line so unlikely I was target, or even seen by the driver. Maybe the modification is the adult version of a smoke bomb....or trying to impress someone? Making up for other deficiencies?

I agree with @SomeJoe7777 100%. Would also like to add sometimes aggressive road behavior is due to mania. Aggressive driving and excessive speeding is one of the symptoms of a manic episode. I'm sure we've all witnessed a driver on the highway going 20+ mph faster than everyone else and cutting closely around traffic.

I had a large pickup invade my freeway lane twice yesterday in Fremont, CA. I wonder if it was because he saw my Taiwanese-American wife's last name on the license plate? (I'm Norwegian-American but was driving her ride.)

Cannot wait to get my tri-motor CyberTruck hopefully late next year! Go GigaAustin!

I didn't know what "rolling coal" means (never happened to me) so I googled it:

View attachment 608545

That is so disgusting, unhealthy and dangerous for the victim, and bad for the environment! Why is this not universally illegal? It's like defecating in public with a motor vehicle. These vehicles should be impounded until their owners pay to have the modifications reversed IMHO.

Tampering with emissions equipment (required to get any diesel built in the last 20 years to show even a hint of smoke) is quite illegal already, under federal law.

Unfortunately there’s virtually no system for enforcement. Some areas do inspections when you register and renew your plates, but they often aren’t thorough enough to catch the modern chips, and I don’t know of any area that does enforcement based on video or traffic stops for coal rolling.

Part of it is that the law has loopholes in it - the emissions rules only apply to public roads, so cars built for racetracks only and dune buggies aren’t affected. That allows an entire industry of folks selling modifications for cars and trucks to say that they’re for off road use only and make buyers sign an acknowledgment of that and then argue the seller is not breaking any laws - they had no idea that 99% of their customers are driving on public roads with it, honest!!

A few of the more egregious cases of this have been shut down in the last few years, but it is still very much a thing.

Property confiscation for vehicles that don't meet emissions standards could solve the problem of people outfitting their trucks for coal-rolling, but of course, enforcement would still be optional, which solves nothing.

Correct most people don't even know it's made in US, with US workers (bring manufacturing back!)

Tesla is an example of a superior product, that happens to be all-American, selling itself. No need for coercive politics or partisanship.

Now, Tesla needs to up its game on quality control to avoid the stigma associated with American auto manufacturing.

Reactions: vickh and CyberGus
Oh boy. While I certainly have my strong opinions about many things when it comes to politics, for my own sanity, I stay as neutral as I can. With that being said I had a coworker come up to me and mock me as if my Model 3P was not “American enough” compared to his Ram 1500 and Hellcat Charger. I promptly told him my car was more American than either of his Dodge cars will ever be. Whether it’s parts content or labor for US sold cars, for better or worse, Tesla has any “American” car manufacturer beat when it comes to “Americanness”. It’s always dumb trying to win those arguments but here I am.

Tesla takes 3 of the Top 10. (The Ram 1500 ranked #47.)

https://www.cars.com/articles/the-c...de-index-which-cars-are-most-american-422711/

[I'm honestly curious: Why aren't I having problems with my Tesla attracting negative attention? I'm in a conservative city of a conservative county, and nearly everyone in my neighborhood has at least one pickup.

I even used my Tesla as part of my Halloween display and nobody vandalized it, and it was very busy this year. We are one of those communities where dozens of people put up massive displays.

I did not worry about my Tesla but sure as heck would not park my sportscars outside on Halloween.

[I'm honestly curious: Why aren't I having problems with my Tesla attracting negative attention? I'm in a conservative city of a conservative county, and nearly everyone in my neighborhood has at least one pickup.

I even used my Tesla as part of my Halloween display and nobody vandalized it, and it was very busy this year. We are one of those communities where dozens of people put up massive displays.

I did not worry about my Tesla but sure as heck would not park my sportscars outside on Halloween.

Conservative city of a conservative county in SoCAL is different than AZ