Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is it with John Peterson?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is John Peterson on the payroll of big oil? Based on his incredibly vindictive and vicious attacks on Tesla, one might logically come to that conclusion. It's one thing to provide objective critical analysis. But regarding Tesla, Peterson has no objectivity. He cherry picks any evidence he can find to discredit not only the company but the whole idea of electric cars. And his musings and "analysis" (which consist mostly of opinions wrapped in a carefully selected veneer of one-sided evidence) border on the malicious. If he's not on the payroll of big oil, one would have to conclude that he's actually a little wacko.

I think he's just courting controversy - makes for good page views. There's a certain element in our society that this sort of thing plays to. Truth and correctness don't matter in the slightest; they just want to read a story that plays to their beliefs.

I feel he gets more and more desperate as Teslas fanclub grow rapidly. New supporters show up every day, and he's fighting a loosing battle. As he stated himself, only time will establish his credibility :)

He hates renewable energy, and he hates Teslas success.

Is John Peterson on the payroll of big oil?

I don't think so. But he got agenda - company he heavily invested in and been a CEO, that company will have no future if EV technology get widespread.

He helping to develop and investing in lead-acid batteries for ICE engine start/stop applications, IIRC. So he naturally hate companies who involved in automotive li-ion batteries production, or ones that create markets for for such batteries (like Tesla).

JP's baby is Axion Power International. It wants to produce (lead carbon) batteries for hybrid cars, but also batteries for hybrid trains and stationairy batteries as well.

AXPW is not doing very well. It has been sliding down gradually from $12 to a new low today of $0.22. Lack of good news could push it down even more thursday when 3rd quarter results are coming out.

Sometimes I feel he's pushing lithium ion batteries (and its users such as Tesla) down because AXPW hasn't been making a compelling business yet and maybe never will. He's in it with some money so he probably has a buck and a half to lose. Not that he will be evicted from his 7 room apartment at Chateau Schiffenen... (imagine a daydream smiley here...)

Wow. Is he able to remove comments made on Thestreet page? I suddenly realized why one of my comments never got published. In a reply to one of his comments I stated that betting on the right battery technology can be the difference between success and bankruptcy. The reason for pointing this out was because he compared Tesla to several bankrupt battery producers, and I replied that Tesla could probably switch whenever they want, to whoever deliver the best overall solution. With his own company in serious trouble I can see why that comment did not make it through review...

Last edited:
It wants to produce (lead carbon) batteries
"Lead carbon" is a marketing name for a type of lead acid batteries. So essentially that is a lead acid batteries, but lead carbon sounds cooler.

Point of development/innovation is to let lead acid batteries to have big power density. That will allow "hybrids" to start engine fast when needed, so there would be no idling and probably to have some very limited regen.

AXPW is not doing very well. It has been sliding down gradually from $12 to a new low today of $0.22.
Penny stock traded on pinks? Most likely company essentially dead atm.

Penny stock traded on pinks? Most likely company essentially dead atm.

Not so much as the valley of death, more a bottomless pit:frown:

PS like the Bob Monkhouse quote. Was he famous in Canada? Some more below. Should send them to JP and tell him to chill out

I want to die like my father, peacefully in his sleep, not screaming and terrified, like his passengers.

Personally, I don't think there's intelligent life on other planets. Why should other planets be different from this one?

I remember when safe sex was a padded headboard.

Real happiness is when you marry a girl for love and find out later she has money.

When the inventor of the drawing board messed things up, what did he go back to?

I'd never be unfaithful to my wife for the reason that I love my house very much

Last edited:
Being a numbers guy who loves to spin with charts and graphs he does not get the why people gravitate to Tesla's movement towards a better planet and full transportation electrification.

EMOTIONAL BENEFITS SELL BETTER THAN RATIONAL ONES.

I guess his interest in Axion makes plenty of sense of as an ulterior motive. it sure seems obvious he has one.

it stood out to me even more when I read this blog by Motor Trend's Angus MacKenzie today. he was one of the voters in the reward. he was honest enough to include a link to an earlier blog from 2010 where he tore into Musk, Tesla's business plan and claims about the Model S in away JP would have been proud of. the point of his blog today was how his mind has changed. it shows the difference between a skeptical but open mind and one with an agenda.

the original 2010 blog actually was kind of sweet to read given where we are today.

blog from today

2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year: Tesla Model S - Motor Trend

blog from 2010

Volt Face: Tesla Talks a Good Game - Motor Trend Blog

Motor Trend's Angus MacKenzie today. he was one of the voters in the reward. he was honest enough to include a link to an earlier blog from 2010 where he tore into Musk, Tesla's business plan...the original 2010 blog actually was kind of sweet to read given where we are today....

Was satisfying to read and relives a lot of what we went through with the Roadster. "Never happen", "Underfunded", "Wont work" "Cars will not last"

Hat's off to Angus for calling it true.

So when Tesla succeeds and AXPW fails, do we be jerks about it when he tries to retrocon that he always and initially supported Tesla or any time he does, remind him of his denigration of Tesla??

The opportunity to kick sand in the bully's (fill in your word of choice) eyes doesn't come often, plus I totally embrace the saying, "When an opportunity presents itself...."

JP's baby is Axion Power International. It wants to produce (lead carbon) batteries for hybrid cars, but also batteries for hybrid trains and stationairy batteries as well.

AXPW is not doing very well. It has been sliding down gradually from $12 to a new low today of $0.22. Lack of good news could push it down even more thursday when 3rd quarter results are coming out.

Sometimes I feel he's pushing lithium ion batteries (and its users such as Tesla) down because AXPW hasn't been making a compelling business yet and maybe never will. He's in it with some money so he probably has a buck and a half to lose. Not that he will be evicted from his 7 room apartment at Chateau Schiffenen... (imagine a daydream smiley here...)

I wasn't aware of this. That he doesn't reveal this in his many articles/posts about Tesla affirms his fundamental dishonesty.

I think it's because Tesla and other EVs are stealing the spotlight in terms of batteries for cars. Axion is pushing for start-stop hybrids, but the public is not interested in it at all. If EVs become successful, we might skip that whole phase. That means doom for this stock.

I found this disclosure on an article written by JP last year

Author is a former director of Axion Power International (AXPW.OB)
and holds a substantial long position in its common stock.
ktP9OfYY9NM.gif

here's a link to the article

Alternative Energy Picks Axion Power is Poised to Dominate Energy Storage for Stop-start Idle Elimination

I found this disclosure on an article written by JP last year

Author is a former director of Axion Power International (AXPW.OB)
and holds a substantial long position in its common stock.
ktP9OfYY9NM.gif

here's a link to the article

Alternative Energy Picks Axion Power is Poised to Dominate Energy Storage for Stop-start Idle Elimination

Actually I think in one article I think he wrote he has 700,000 shares if I remember correctly, and he bought those options at $2. So he's down around 1.2 million at least. I think it was in one of the street comments where he said he exercised his options at $2 and has over 700,000 shares. Yikes.

JP is the monetary equivalent of the thrashing and struggling of a drowning man trying to stay afloat by drowning others...