TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

What is Leather, what is not?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by shonline, Aug 3, 2016.

1. shonline

shonline Supporting Member

OK - I've searched for this, so if I missed it somewhere obvious, please be kind... :)

I have an early 2016 S with premium interior and tan leather seats. (built just before refresh)

Obviously the seats are leather - but is anything else? Not sure about the armrests over the cupholders (they appear to be vinyl?), or tan door inserts/armrests and want to use the right product if they need a deeper clean than distilled water.

Thanks!

2. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

Your steering wheel is leather. The door inserts are leather with the premium interior as well as the under dash trim and glovebox cover. And of course the seats which you know.
    I am not sure about the center part of the steering wheel with the logo.... is leather or not.

• Informative x 1
  3. shonline

Thanks so much. Perfect. Any idea about the moving armrests in the "old" center console that slide to cover the two cupholders?

4. ArtInCT

ArtInCT Always Learning

If you have premium interior, they (the arm rests on the upper center console) too are leather (sorry but I forgot those), otherwise some sort of vinyl I suspect.

Frankly, being honest here, I have NEVER been in a model S without the premium interior or the vinyl seats (standard).
    In the pre-facelift S, if you did not order premium, then the front horizontal chrome strakes on the left and right air intakes (near the fog lamps) are black and also the trim on the older rear air diffuser was black (not chrome). A little known tell tale sign.
    I am not sure if this holds true on the facelift new S.
    In any case the facelift new S does not have a chrome strip (from what I have seen) on the rear of the car as the lower trim is paint colored.

There was one of these non-premium model S cars, in the Milford, CT SC about 6 months ago but I could not see the interior of it to feel and understand just what the so called standard interior looked and felt like. The interior was black as you would expect and does not show much if at all. (black is not my favorite interior color, but that is just me being me).

As you can imagine, in the more southern states, such as yours, leather interiors are not as popular due to the heat and "sticking" to the hot seats. I do recall many cars I rented in the south (when I traveled a lot on business) opted for fabric interiors. Is that still true?

BTW, you should read my Options By Year WIKI, where all is chronologically explained... haha

• Informative x 1
  5. shonline

Wow - thanks for all of this. Very educational! Yes, cloth is popular down here, but I find fake leather worse than the real deal. (wife has MB Tex in her Benz - terrible in the heat) Need ventilated seats!!

I indeed do have the premium package - so all the tan parts are leather then. Good to know.

Thanks again!

6. zambono

zambono Member

On top of the dash you have some leather and mostly alcantara. Alcantara is a synthetic that feels like suede / leather upper

• Informative x 1