TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

What is longest you have gone without a nag?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by number12, Jun 12, 2017.

Tags:
  1. number12

number12 Active Member

IMG_1937.JPG On the way home from dinner I did not get one single nag. Also no limit on AP speed (except 90). All situations as far as with or without a lead car. Just a glitch or has this happened to anyone else?

Only reason I stopped AP was to make a turn. It was rock solid. 8.0 AP1

2. Acho

Acho Member

On Saturday i made a trip from Vegas to LA and back /same day/. On the freeway/I-15/ i was mostly on AP /AP1/. Truned it off only in construction areas since it tends to drive very close to comcrete barriers and one imstance when I was cut off most of the way no problems.

3. number12

number12 Active Member

And zero nags (hands on steering wheel)?

4. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

You didn't mention "hands on wheel" in your original post. I thought you meant with no hands...

I haven't had a nag in 6 months with hand on the wheel. I don't even look anymore to see if there is a nag, It's all in how you hold the wheel.

5. number12

number12 Active Member

Ah! Yes I meant without hands on the wheel. Also the speed going above the 5+ speed limit limit.

6. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I'm married with two teenagers...Nagging - no longer than a day and more likely nagged four or five times a day:confused: The most frequent nag is why isn't the dishwasher loaded, followed by why isn't the trash taken out, followed by dad I need money for some crap that we didn't even have when I was a kid - what the hell is in app crap -- fracking highway robbery... banned all of it in our house..

I'm the pilot - an will be until I hit 80 - then I'm going full autopilot...hopefully I can get my wheel chair in the 2050 Y...

• Funny x 5
  7. Barry

Barry Active Member

I haven't had a nag since I got divorced.

• Funny x 11
    • Like x 1
  8. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

Yeah, but you can probably substitute some other words for "nag" in that sentence... ;):(

• Funny x 1
  9. RogerHScott

RogerHScott Active Member

If you're "holding" the wheel, in what way are you not effectively steering? Is holding it in that magic "right" way really much less tiring than simply steering yourself? I find that significantly more than merely hands "on" the wheel is required to avoid nags -- when it feels like nagging. Otoh, there are other circumstances -- such as long, straight interstate -- where it can easily go multiple minutes without nagging with my hands entirely off the wheel.

10. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

It isn't ideal, I agree.

Holding the wheel just above the flat area at the bottom with one hand puts a slight downward pressure on one side of the wheel. Not so much pressure to shut down AP, of course. I can switch hands, take both hand off for a few moments to drink liquids and adjust my sunglasses at the same time. It is not annoying to me, as i can look down the road or enjoy the scenery instead of watching the lines. I don't trust AP enough to not have my hand ready to take over -- i guess that is more comfortable to me.

• Like x 2
  11. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

This is basically my experience. You have to hold the wheel in such a way that it creates counter-rotational force sufficient to make the car believe you are holding the wheel. If I hold the wheel at 9 or 3 it works great. If I rest my hand on the wheel at 6 the nag screen still comes on sometimes since I am not exerting enough counter-rotational force. I actually find it easier to drive with just TACC than with full AutoPilot in most situations. I'm hoping the "silky smooth" update that is allegedly rolling out will make a big improvement.

• Like x 1
  12. deonb

deonb Supporting Member

Some of them even rhyme...

13. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Ludicrous + you say, well I got Ludicrous -

14. hill

hill Member

AP2 - "Smooth as silk"
    Yesterday on the 405 fwy north bound, signaled to change lanes to the left ... and the X almost took out another car.
    "smooth as silk"

15. number12

number12 Active Member

What about the speed limit part? I thought it was suppose to only allow 5+ mph over speed limit for AP.. it allowed me any speed up to 90.

16. Mrwatchdawg

Mrwatchdawg Member

Without the rear cameras enabled I don't think AP will be any better no matter how many software updates they make. The sensors can't work 100%

17. rhumbliner

rhumbliner Member

If the road is perfectly, straight and is not grooved so there is no Groove wander - Wikipedia, I've found I can go indefinitely.

During a drive across Wyoming, South Dakota and Minnesota last week I encountered several such instances. I'd say the longest was about a 10 mile stretch where I applied no counter-rotational force -- I'd use the term hands-free but that puts some nannies here into preach mode -- and never received an alert.

It would seem to me that if auto-steer isn't actively turning then it isn't testing for a counter-rotational force.

18. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

I get the nag all the time, and every time my hands are already on the wheel...

Yes you can hold it awkwardly so it puts pressure on one side, but that gets annoying after a while.

• Like x 1
  19. GlmnAlyAirCar

GlmnAlyAirCar Member

That limit only applies to undivided or non-limited access streets. On highways, there has never been a limit.

20. number12

number12 Active Member

I did not know that, but also this was an undivided street. I have video of speed limit 40 and AP set to 70 (for example)