Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is my car worth? tesla low balling me

bavsingh

Nov 16, 2020
Sacramento
Model S, 70D, AP1, pre refresh, 37K miles. Cod weather package, Leather , Free Unlimited supercharging and have Tesla 50K warranty ( bought it CPO from tesla @14k miles in 2018)

Tesla trade in is offering me $33.5K. Good? Bad? or Ugly?
Carmax $36K

Havent tried doing private party as dont have too much time to deal with that honestly but if feedback comes that Im leaving too much on the table, will do private party..

Looking to upgrade to new MS in couple of weeks

brkaus

Jul 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Tesla primarly sells new cars. They provide trade in values as a convenience to the customer. I'd shop around, you already have a higher carmax price.

It's worth more as a private sale to someone that appreciates unlimited supercharging. Tesla would likely remove that feature if they purchase it.

Reactions: LN1_Casey

BestRadar

Nov 14, 2013
NJ
Are you selling it and moving on or are you trading it for a new Tesla. If you trade it towards a new Tesla you wont have to pay tax on the trade in value so sometimes its worth taking less a bit from Tesla if you are trading it in for a new Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: uspearls

bavsingh

Nov 16, 2020
Sacramento
Are you selling it and moving on or are you trading it for a new Tesla. If you trade it towards a new Tesla you wont have to pay tax on the trade in value so sometimes its worth taking less a bit from Tesla if you are trading it in for a new Tesla.

yup, no trade in benefit in Cali
I am however getting another MS

Sep 23, 2020
Sacramento CA
Carvana offered 14K more on my 2013 P85+ than did Tesla.

I kid you not.

Tesla lowballed 18K. Carvana offered 32K.

I took the money and ran.

Dear Carvana -- sorry for the wheels I, uh, bequeathed to you. Someone else's headache now...

bavsingh

Nov 16, 2020
Sacramento
Carvana offered 14K more on my 2013 P85+ than did Tesla.

I kid you not.

Tesla lowballed 18K. Carvana offered 32K.

I took the money and ran.

Dear Carvana -- sorry for the wheels I, uh, bequeathed to you. Someone else's headache now...
Thats amazing ! I woulve run too :)
Carvana is actually the same as carmax for me..just got their quote

Sep 23, 2020
Sacramento CA
Thats amazing ! I woulve run too :)
Carvana is actually the same as carmax for me..just got their quote
The strange thing about Carvana -- their quote went up and down on me a few times. I didn't immediately sell them the vehicle, so I ended up requesting the appraisal through their application more than once. (There's no harm in doing this -- except if you get a price that you LIKE and perform a refresh on their quote, you will lose that higher offer. They will not honor that previous higher offer. No exceptions. I learned this the hard way.

• Informative
Reactions: UnicornDriver

besnova

Nov 10, 2017
New York
Bruh Tesla offered me 17K for my 2014 P85 with 110K miles lol. YIKES! Carvana about the same. WTF!

I plan to pay it off in the next 2 years (bought CPO) and sell it for at least $20K private sale.

Mar 27, 2016
Melbourne fl
Model S, 70D, AP1, pre refresh, 37K miles. Cod weather package, Leather , Free Unlimited supercharging and have Tesla 50K warranty ( bought it CPO from tesla @14k miles in 2018)

Carmax $36K

Havent tried doing private party as dont have too much time to deal with that honestly but if feedback comes that Im leaving too much on the table, will do private party..

Try selling on Autotrader or Carmax. I have always found it rather easy and get top dollar.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Northern California
I assume the reason for lowball offers is because the vehicle will go straight to auction.
Save them the hassle and sell it to carmax or better yet private party.

Chiefsfan

Nov 12, 2020
Chesterfield, Mo

Carmax $36K

what color,

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC