TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

what is my MY TESLA S?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by stealthnhawk, Feb 26, 2012.

1. stealthnhawk

stealthnhawk Member

Hi All,
    Are all Tesla Models S start with MY2013 or will some be 2012?
    If so, my GP# is 6605.. I am expecting to get in 2013.. so.. it's safe to assume it will be MY2013?

2. William13

William13 Member

2013 but Tesla does not do standard car years

3. de704

de704 XP268

Model S 1.0, unless they announce hardware changes before you receive yours which will be less often or less likely than with the Roadster.

4. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Yeah I hope they are 1.0 and not 0.9 when they start shipping! :biggrin:

5. stephenpace

stephenpace VIN S00219

@William13: Regardless if Tesla does standard car years or not, they are selling into a market that more or less requires them since they plan to make more than 500 cars a year. The 10th position on the VIN will determine which year Tesla officially chooses to designate the Model S:

Vehicle Identification Number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Taxing authorities and insurance companies will then likely adopt this as the year displayed on your documentation. Given how early Lexus releases new models, I suspect Tesla will use 2013 as the year for the first year's production (e.g. the founders, the Sigs, the balance of the 5000) but it will be interesting to see.

Argument for 2012: Large banner on Tesla site that "2012 the Year of the Model S"
    Argument for 2013: Competition for 2013 car of the year awards. If they officially make it 2012, that might be more difficult. Not sure what the qualifications or cutoff date is for that. I had always assumed self designation, and if that is the case, Tesla can declare that it is 2013.

6. neroden

neroden Happy Model S Owner

Sigh. They say never to get a 1.0 version of a product....
    ...well, I just hope Tesla is good about warrantied upgrades on the "cheap stuff". They seem to have been pretty good about that with the Roadster.

7. strider

strider Active Member

With Roadsters the MY was the year of manufacturer. My Roadster was built in October, 2010 which to any other manufacturer would be a 2011 model but my title says 2010. Not sure if they'll bow to convention w/ Model S or stick to manufacture year and version #.

8. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight _____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White

Given that they are producing the first Model S' in the back half of 2012 they might want to bow to convention and call it a model year 2013 so they can be considered for Motor Trend Car of the Year.

9. Trnsl8r

Trnsl8r Blue 85kwh since 12/8/12

How often does Tesla bow to convention...?