Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what is my MY TESLA S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@William13: Regardless if Tesla does standard car years or not, they are selling into a market that more or less requires them since they plan to make more than 500 cars a year. The 10th position on the VIN will determine which year Tesla officially chooses to designate the Model S:

Vehicle Identification Number - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Taxing authorities and insurance companies will then likely adopt this as the year displayed on your documentation. Given how early Lexus releases new models, I suspect Tesla will use 2013 as the year for the first year's production (e.g. the founders, the Sigs, the balance of the 5000) but it will be interesting to see.

Argument for 2012: Large banner on Tesla site that "2012 the Year of the Model S"
Argument for 2013: Competition for 2013 car of the year awards. If they officially make it 2012, that might be more difficult. Not sure what the qualifications or cutoff date is for that. I had always assumed self designation, and if that is the case, Tesla can declare that it is 2013.

With Roadsters the MY was the year of manufacturer. My Roadster was built in October, 2010 which to any other manufacturer would be a 2011 model but my title says 2010. Not sure if they'll bow to convention w/ Model S or stick to manufacture year and version #.

With Roadsters the MY was the year of manufacturer. My Roadster was built in October, 2010 which to any other manufacturer would be a 2011 model but my title says 2010. Not sure if they'll bow to convention w/ Model S or stick to manufacture year and version #.

Given that they are producing the first Model S' in the back half of 2012 they might want to bow to convention and call it a model year 2013 so they can be considered for Motor Trend Car of the Year.