Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is my Roadster worth?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's time to finally sell my 2008 Roadster. It has 37, 671 miles on it. The color is Racing Green with saddle interior and green hardtop. It includes the optional sound deadening package and upgraded suspension. Some of the exterior pieces are clear coated bare carbon fiber. That's the good stuff. Now for the not so good. At some time in the past the charger didn't shut off when it was supposed to and over charged the battery which made it impossible for the car to move under its own power for several days. I took the car to Tesla for diagnosis and was told the APS or auxiliary power supply was bad which would require a replacement battery for five thousand or fifty five hundred dollars. The only trouble the car was giving me was that I had to shut off the charger manually and it wasn't worth that much money to me for the convenience. So the battery is compromised. Most of the clear carbon parts look pretty bad and will need to be painted or clear coated. The driver's side rocker panel cover is cracked. The original headlights look bad and the headliner for the hardtop is sagging. The right front mud flap is missing and the windshield wiper arm is broken. The car has not been driven since 2014. I have kept the battery charged and do move the car from time to time. I will be taking it for a test drive soon. Based on the condition, I'll probably be asking less than 1.8 million for it. <grin> So what do you folks think I should I be able to get for it?

It's time to finally sell my 2008 Roadster. It has 37, 671 miles on it. The color is Racing Green with saddle interior and green hardtop. It includes the optional sound deadening package and upgraded suspension. Some of the exterior pieces are clear coated bare carbon fiber. That's the good stuff. Now for the not so good. At some time in the past the charger didn't shut off when it was supposed to and over charged the battery which made it impossible for the car to move under its own power for several days. I took the car to Tesla for diagnosis and was told the APS or auxiliary power supply was bad which would require a replacement battery for five thousand or fifty five hundred dollars. The only trouble the car was giving me was that I had to shut off the charger manually and it wasn't worth that much money to me for the convenience. So the battery is compromised. Most of the clear carbon parts look pretty bad and will need to be painted or clear coated. The driver's side rocker panel cover is cracked. The original headlights look bad and the headliner for the hardtop is sagging. The right front mud flap is missing and the windshield wiper arm is broken. The car has not been driven since 2014. I have kept the battery charged and do move the car from time to time. I will be taking it for a test drive soon. Based on the condition, I'll probably be asking less than 1.8 million for it. <grin> So what do you folks think I should I be able to get for it?
I should have added that the car has the silver forged wheels on it. I also have a set of the black forged wheels for it.

If you just want to out it you would probably hoping to sell it to someone who would eventually 3.0 it so the battery cost gets partially absorbed into the price. Maybe 60-70k if the suspension is still good and the interior is clean, the tires good. However you would need someone looking for that color combination, and someone looking to get their hands or cheque book dirty. I have thought about selling mine and I think I came to the decision that I would send mine off to Carl and let him do his thing, I would then be selling a premium product in perfect condition, rather than trying to off load a quirky car. It would be like buying an Aston with a mirror hanging off and a scrape down the side with bald tires. Yes it has potential but it’s going to be a hard sell rather than a bidding war.
Here’s how I got to my estimate. Let’s say you broke it down a little, you could have someone come and swap their non sport suspension/adjustable anti-roll bar for yours if yours are good plus give you 5k. The hard top would get you 2.5k. Forged original wheels, possibly another 2.5k pending on condition. Now you sell the car with the soft top with the cheapest charging cable for 50-55k. Then if you have other cables, accessories, even books or brochures, they will bring more money.
I don’t know the cost of restoration at Carls but I feel you would not only double what ever you invested to have the car made perfect but people will probably offer you more than asking when finished for the whole package.

Last edited:
If you just want to out it you would probably hoping to sell it to someone who would eventually 3.0 it so the battery cost gets partially absorbed into the price. Maybe 60-70k if the suspension is still good and the interior is clean, the tires good. However you would need someone looking for that color combination, and someone looking to get their hands or cheque book dirty. I have thought about selling mine and I think I came to the decision that I would send mine off to Carl and let him do his thing, I would then be selling a premium product in perfect condition, rather than trying to off load a quirky car. It would be like buying an Aston with a mirror hanging off and a scrape down the side with bald tires. Yes it has potential but it’s going to be a hard sell rather than a bidding war.
Here’s how I got to my estimate. Let’s say you broke it down a little, you could have someone come and swap their non sport suspension/adjustable anti-roll bar for yours if yours are good plus give you 5k. The hard top would get you 2.5k. Forged original wheels, possibly another 2.5k pending on condition. Now you sell the car with the soft top with the cheapest charging cable for 50-55k. Then if you have other cables, accessories, even books or brochures, they will bring more money.
I don’t know the cost of restoration at Carls but I feel you would not only double what ever you invested to have the car made perfect but people will probably offer you more than asking when finished for the whole package.
Thank you, I appreciate the input! Historically with classic cars, the rule of thumb was that you would only get about fifty cents on the dollar for money you invested in fixing up/restoring a car. Is the market so hot for these things that you could actually make money by fixing them up?

FWIW I took the car for a ten mile test drive around town and it did fine. Well, except for the fact that before I left it refused to go into gear while showing "Fault." I turned the key off and removed it from the ignition, tried again and it fired right up! It has done this before so I would it expect it to happen again in the future.

The charging problem is in your PEM, not your external charger. So you will need the PEM rebuilt by Gruber or Medlock. There are third party solutions for repairing the APS as well, so you may not need to replace the battery, but you still might have to remove and open it up. With all these problems you won't get 1.8 mil but I won't be surprised if you get 70k.

The charging problem is in your PEM, not your external charger. So you will need the PEM rebuilt by Gruber or Medlock. There are third party solutions for repairing the APS as well, so you may not need to replace the battery, but you still might have to remove and open it up. With all these problems you won't get 1.8 mil but I won't be surprised if you get 70k.
Cool, thank you!

I'll work on getting some pictures. The car is cleaning up very nicely. I have been working on it every day for more than two weeks. The headlights have cleaned up very well, (I'm still working on them). The paint is also coming along. If it wasn't for the faded carbon bits, I wouldn't be embarrassed to take it to a car show.

Attachments

• IMG_0484.jpg
    IMG_0484.jpg
    503.4 KB · Views: 109
Reactions: eHorses