Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is powerwall thinking? (Behavior change.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am only about three weeks since PTO, but powerwall was doing great — and then changed its behavior oddly.

(For context: Tesla powerwall+ fed by 10kW of Hanwha panels, Tesla gateway, San Diego’s SDG&E EVTOU5 plan with NEM2.0. TBC mode with a reserve of 20%, export is enabled, TOU profile is set from Tesla’s data.)

After the first few days of turning on both solar and export, powerwall began behaving exactly as I expected it to: from dawn, charge from solar and supply house while exporting excess until full, then export all until sunset, then supply from powerwall during peak and into the overnight until reaching 20% or midnight when the super-off-peak rate kicks in.

Great! Much power, many smiles.

Then, starting Sunday, it filled powerwall and then didn’t use it after the solar faded, even during peak. In fact, since then it hasn’t consumed more than a few odd drops of powerwall; PW has been steady at 100% since then. House power is coming from solar when available or from the grid (even during peak), but never from powerwall.

Nothing changed in settings. The utility TOU times changed slightly as of Monday, but nothing that should have driven a radical change in behavior, and that was Monday, not Sunday.

I thought the TOU time change might have reset the logic, and expected it to recover its behavior yesterday… but no.

What’s up? What can I look at for hints as to what it’s thinking? Thanks.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Tesla algorithms. I have no idea. You might try restarting your app, and then changing the settings to self powered for a day, and then back to time based control to see if that changes the behavior. If not, I would call Tesla.

FWIW: I have the buy and sell prices different by a) the 10% roundtrip energy losses, plus b) the NBCs to nudge the Powerwall into what I want it to do in TOU. (I figure that we have very few "levers" to adjust the Powerwall behavior, and this is one of them. It also puts me on a "custom rate" setting, and the keeps Tesla from pushing out a new rate tariff, with the potential for typos.)

All the best,

BG

Last edited:
Welcome to the wonderful world of Tesla algorithms. I have no idea. You might try restarting your app, and then changing the settings to self powered for a day, and then back to time based control to see if that changes the behavior. If not, I would call Tesla.

FWIW: I have the buy and sell prices different by a) the 10% roundtrip energy losses, plus b) the NBCs to nudge the Powerwall into what I want it to do in TOU. (I figure that we have very few "levers" to adjust the Powerwall behavior, and this is one of them. It also puts me on a "custom rate" setting, and the keeps Tesla from pushing out a new rate tariff, with the potential for typos.)

Yes -- black box at its finest.

I've thought about tweaking on the pricing, but so far I have resisted tweaking the values -- once you fork the code, it's hard to merge, and you miss the main branch updates.

(Plus, your stats are distorted (if you care); plus maybe it gets smarter and now you're feeding it lies.)

It puzzles me, though, that it's behaving differently at all. The only change from the Mar-Apr settings is dropping that weekday morning super-off-peak period -- no other changes in the rates, no changes at all on the weekend. That's what tempted me to leave it alone: the theory that maybe it needed to start from scratch again building logic. (And maybe a tiny suspicion that it is taking into account factors I'm not, e.g. net annual totals -- maybe I shouldn't be selling back.)

See my thread wherein I saw the exact opposite behavior.

Reactions: jgleigh
Yes -- black box at its finest.

I've thought about tweaking on the pricing, but so far I have resisted tweaking the values -- once you fork the code, it's hard to merge, and you miss the main branch updates.

(Plus, your stats are distorted (if you care); plus maybe it gets smarter and now you're feeding it lies.)

It puzzles me, though, that it's behaving differently at all. The only change from the Mar-Apr settings is dropping that weekday morning super-off-peak period -- no other changes in the rates, no changes at all on the weekend. That's what tempted me to leave it alone: the theory that maybe it needed to start from scratch again building logic. (And maybe a tiny suspicion that it is taking into account factors I'm not, e.g. net annual totals -- maybe I shouldn't be selling back.)
You do pay about 3 cents in NBC for power you pull from the grid. adding 3 cents to the buy price for all TOU periods is accurate and helps the PW decide to use it's power vs. grid. Right now it thinks its power and the grid is priced the same.