Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is PV performance like with Panels mostly on North side of Roof?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm new to this group. If this topic is already discussed or open for discussion, please let me know., I have a unique situation. My roof is having very less space in East, West and South side so majority of the Tesla Solar panels have been installed on North side. Though I challenged the design, but I was told by the Proj Coordinator that Tesla panels will generate the power in North side as well with 75-80% efficiency. I live in San Ramon CA. MY PTO is pending with PGE. My question is to those who have solar panels in North, what is their experience?

I'm new to this group. If this topic is already discussed or open for discussion, please let me know., I have a unique situation. My roof is having very less space in East, West and South side so majority of the Tesla Solar panels have been installed on North side. Though I challenged the design, but I was told by the Proj Coordinator that Tesla panels will generate the power in North side as well with 75-80% efficiency. I live in San Ramon CA. MY PTO is pending with PGE. My question is to those who have solar panels in North, what is their experience?

You need to model your performance with a site like pvwatts. PVWatts

"Will generate power" sure, it will generate power but the performance is going to be skewed toward the summer months pretty heavily, with poor performance in wintertime (much worse than panels on the southern side would have).

I also changed the thread title because you had it is "tesla energy performance" but what you are asking in your thread is what I changed the title to.

Reactions: CrazyRabbit
Upvote 0
You need to model your performance with a site like pvwatts. PVWatts

"Will generate power" sure, it will generate power but the performance is going to be skewed toward the summer months pretty heavily, with poor performance in wintertime (much worse than panels on the southern side would have).

I also changed the thread title because you had it is "tesla energy performance" but what you are asking in your thread is what I changed the title to.
Thank you very much !! Its very helpful.

Upvote 0
My roof is having very less space in East, West and South side so majority of the Tesla Solar panels have been installed on North side.
I live in your area, and have panels facing north, east and west. Anecdotally speaking, I did observe my north-facing panels to be about 75-80% of the others. But the last couple of months have been ~50% or less, on days with clear skies. North facing is not quite ideal… but as others have said, map it out on pvwatts, it’s pretty accurate.

Upvote 0
I live in your area, and have panels facing north, east and west. Anecdotally speaking, I did observe my north-facing panels to be about 75-80% of the others. But the last couple of months have been ~50% or less, on days with clear skies. North facing is not quite ideal… but as others have said, map it out on pvwatts, it’s pretty accurate.
My north clearly are not as good as my south. But, they are much better than nothing. :)

Upvote 0
As others have said, roof pitch is a big factor as well as whether those panels are straight north vs a little bit northwest. TOU pricing also needs to be considered when comparing orientation, since power can be worth a good bit more at 5-6pm in the Summer.

If you have an 18-22 degree roof and your panels are facing north-northwest or north, then 75-80% of a full south panel is a good annual guess for your area.

As others have pointed out though, this annual production will be very skewed on a seasonal basis so that you have nearly no production in the dead of winter. Unless you are getting Powerwalls that's not a huge issue.

Upvote 0
As others have said, roof pitch is a big factor as well as whether those panels are straight north vs a little bit northwest. TOU pricing also needs to be considered when comparing orientation, since power can be worth a good bit more at 5-6pm in the Summer.

If you have an 18-22 degree roof and your panels are facing north-northwest or north, then 75-80% of a full south panel is a good annual guess for your area.

As others have pointed out though, this annual production will be very skewed on a seasonal basis so that you have nearly no production in the dead of winter. Unless you are getting Powerwalls that's not a huge issue.
Yep, I do not get a lot of solar from my north facing in the winter, but get plenty in the summer, when under NEM2, I get to send back to my PGE battery.

Upvote 0
My very good friend of 35 years placed panels on his north side only because he didn't want it showing. The installer used legs on the lower end of mount to face panels up over horizontal as much as possible. Actually, from where I could see it, it may be tilted above horizontal by a good bit.

Hopefully yours are tilted up as well?

Upvote 0