TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

What is sneak preview of FSD?

Discussion in 'Autopilot & Autonomous/FSD' started by wenkan, Dec 19, 2019.

1. wenkan

wenkan Member

Really curious

2. qdeathstar

qdeathstar Active Member

a trial of summon, navigate on auto pilot, and autosteer, but i’m not sure about that last one because on some cars autopilot came standard...

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  3. Ludalicious

Ludalicious Active Member

Mehhhhh and the comment of the year goes too????
    20191219_200221.jpg

Looks like this individual snuck one in with only weeks to go.....

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  4. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

Visualization updates I'd imagine, as nothing requiring actual confidence/control has even been out to early access yet from what we've heard

• Like x 6
  5. nickID

nickID Member

Hurry! Where’s that overzealous mod!? We need to create a “master” thread and merge in Every. Single. Post. that contains the words “sneak preview”.

• Funny x 3
    • Like x 1
  6. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Coast to coast FSD active for a few days.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 2
  7. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

Not positive if this is what you mean, but yea i'm thinking it's got to do with the visualizations as well. Possibly showing what FSD would do if it were driving, but not actually be controlling anything.

So for example it might show the projected/desired vehicle path as you navigate a left turn at a stoplight, highlight pedestrians near the road and generally show you that the car knows what's going on around it - but not actually taking action based on that data.

• Like x 4
  8. powertoold

powertoold Active Member

That would be very cool but also distracting

• Like x 2
  9. strangecosmos2

strangecosmos2 Koopa Troopa

I like this idea! What did they call it on the Autonomy Day demo rides? Augmented Vision?

If they do this, I imagine it would be an Easter egg you can turn on and off, like the rainbow road Easter egg, which also seems pretty distracting.

10. Seattle Tom

Seattle Tom Member

#10 Seattle Tom, Dec 19, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    A visualization only change would be crazy distracting. I think it will be city street driving - stop signs, stoplights, and protected left turns only. No roundabouts or other complex nav. And it will have multiple levels of confirmation that it’s a beta and you must be prepared to take over at any time.

At least I hope so!

• Like x 2
  11. jordanair45

jordanair45 2019 Model 3 SR+ w/ FSD

Ya Elon. Let me do FSD on city streets for like a 1 hour window on Christmas Day and I’ll be happy. Send me the beta. Then take it away. Lol. No more complaints

• Like x 1
  12. diplomat33

diplomat33 Well-Known Member

Elon did say it will go to early access in the next few days. So perhaps they are getting ready to send something more to early access.

13. Knightshade

Yeah but he said same thing would be wide release soon after so I can't imagine it'll have any real functionality- especially given like 99% of the 2.x fleet isn't upgraded yet.

• Like x 1
  14. diplomat33

You could be right of course. We don't really know. I can definitely see the FSD sneak peak being FSD visualizations since as you say, that would not require changes to driving controls but would still give us an appropriate tease for FSD. I think just getting traffic light and stop sign visualization would be pretty cool.

• Like x 1
  15. Knightshade

Yeah I think stop sign/light visualization would be the minimum it'd be... with a stretch goal of maybe it shows proper intersections and cross traffic in the display (not sure if possible without HW3?)

• Like x 1
  16. diplomat33

Traffic light and stop sign visualization would indeed be a logical next step after stop light and stop sign warning.

I hope we get intersection and cross traffic visualization as well. That would be amazing. But yeah, I don't know if it would require AP3 or not. I know my car kinda shows cross traffic now but it is really spotty at best.

17. Kmartyn

Kmartyn Member

Will this be further divergence between those that have HW 2.5 VS HW 3.0?
    Many waiting for the upgrade

Does releasing another step towards FSD, let them realize some of the funds held in reserve, like they did with smart summon?
    That would be helpful in the last month in their fiscal year.

• Like x 1
  18. timewasted

timewasted Member

“FSD sneak peak” means “the absolute bare minimum that can be delivered which will let us dip our hands into that sweet deferred revenue cookie jar. Also, go f*ck yourself AP2.0 owners”

• Funny x 10
    • Like x 5
    • Disagree x 1
  19. MelaniainLA

MelaniainLA Member

If AP2.0 owners are indeed left high and dry for good, class action lawyers will also be saying “go F yourself”. They’d better have a plan to make FSD functional on all vehicles for which it was promised and paid for. Many of us are now 3 years into ownership of FSD-equipped AP2.0 cars that we purchased largely for the promise of FSD functionality. I feel bad for those who leased early FSD-compatible cars who are now returning their cars with no FSD to speak of, despite having paid for it all these years...

• Like x 4
  20. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Well-Known Member

#20 Daniel in SD, Dec 20, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2019
    I got the FSD sneak preview in my car this morning! Looks like they've made much more progress than the haters thought. I'm thinking three months maybe, six months definitely until we have this in our cars. Also, it's running on an MCU1 HW2.0 car to shut up all the cynics.
    IMG_3702.jpeg
    IMG_3704.jpeg

• Funny x 17
    • Like x 3
    • Informative x 1