Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is sneak preview of FSD?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Honestly, if Tesla releases a visualization update that shows a stop light/sign on the UI when the car was planning to begin braking, it would be mind-blowing.

It's not... I've seen it in action on my own car. Yes it's cool for about 10 seconds the first time a light goes from red to green but that's about it. The cars have been able to do this for many months already. If you had root you could have been showing the car react to signal changes months ago. If you don't believe me, I am rooted btw, you can ask @verygreen or @BigD0g .... Stop sign/signale recognition ALONE would be a huge disappointment IMO.

Stop sign/signale recognition ALONE would be a huge disappointment IMO.

I'm not referring to stop/light recognition alone. I was saying that a UI element will pop up when the car was intending to start braking for stop/light. I have low expectations for this FSD sneak preview, so this visualization would be above my expectations :)

I'm not referring to stop/light recognition alone. I was saying that a UI element will pop up when the car was intending to start braking for stop/light. I have low expectations for this FSD sneak preview, so this visualization would be above my expectations :)
Right, that's exactly what would happen when this was enabled. When you approached a stop sign or light it would show on the instrument cluster display. Stop signs in red when seen and traffic signals based on the current color or state. This code has been there for months.

I've seen it in action on my own car. Yes it's cool for about 10 seconds the first time a light goes from red to green but that's about it.
If you're referring to showing an icon in the corner for red lights, green lights and stop signs; a "sneak preview" FSD visualization update would most likely be using the different 3d assets recently found by verygreen. My guess is those will be used in the "Full 360° View" with lane lines and nearby vehicles rendered in 3d.

And probably like the cone visualizations, this will be limited to HW3.

Even in our HW2.5 car, the visualizations are one of the first thing passengers comment about, so marketing-wise, it could be something good for Tesla to update even if it's incorrect some of the times as Autopilot is not making driving decisions based on this data yet.

Even more impressive would be showing curbs and other features as shown in the video released on Autonomy day but with the last several months of development, e.g., including stop sign and traffic lights.

That's all fine but still a very low bar IMO. If all they do is update the iconography to be 3D then it's just not that impressive. Again just my opinion....

I think it depends on how much they improve the visualizations. If we get traffic light and stop sign visualization and intersection visualization and they fix all the current visualization bugs (smooth motion for the cars/trucks/ cyclists where they follow the road and turn perfectly, no "dancing cars", no "teleportation" of cars, no trucks becoming cars or cyclists getting stuck inside a truck or pedestrians skipping) then I think that would increase people's sense of confidence in FSD because it would make people think that the car is detecting stuff more reliably.

Reactions: jebinc
I think it depends on how much they improve the visualizations. If we get traffic light and stop sign visualization and intersection visualization and they fix all the current visualization bugs (smooth motion for the cars/trucks/ cyclists where they follow the road and turn perfectly, no "dancing cars", no "teleportation" of cars, no trucks becoming cars or cyclists getting stuck inside a truck or pedestrians skipping) then I think that would increase people's sense of confidence in FSD because it would make people think that the car is detecting stuff more reliably.
That would improve my confidence in their ability but everybody and their brother can visualize the environment. Every self drive startup can do this and anyone who wants to go out and buy NVIDIA's Dev kit can do the same now as well. The real development comes in path planning and decision making, nobody cares if the car saw everything in the roadway but then proceeded to run over it anyway.

Look visualizations are great and all, they wow people, but a preview of actual driving capability they are not. This would be more like a wizard of OZ man behind the curtain scenario.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
That would improve my confidence in their ability but everybody and their brother can visualize the environment. Every self drive startup can do this and anyone who wants to go out and buy NVIDIA's Dev kit can do the same now as well. The real development comes in path planning and decision making, nobody cares if the car saw everything in the roadway but then proceeded to run over it anyway.

Look visualizations are great and all, they wow people, but a preview of actual driving capability they are not. This would be more like a wizard of OZ man behind the curtain scenario.

You make some good points. I was really trying to explain how visualizations could be a meaningful "sneak peak". Personally, I am leaning towards actual traffic light and stop sign response where the car stops on its own. It would fit in the timetable since the feature has been in development for over a year now. Maybe it will also include some simple right and left turns scenarios. I could see traffic light and stop sign response and some simple turns being a nice sneak peak since it would at least allow AP to drive itself in some simple driving scenarios. I think the sneak peak needs to be an actual FSD driving feature since as you say, showing the car doing the right thing is better than just showing stuff on the screen.

You make some good points. I was really trying to explain how visualizations could be a meaningful "sneak peak". Personally, I am leaning towards actual traffic light and stop sign response where the car stops on its own. It would fit in the timetable since the feature has been in development for over a year now. Maybe it will also include some simple right and left turns scenarios. I could see traffic light and stop sign response and some simple turns being a nice sneak peak since it would at least allow AP to drive itself in some simple driving scenarios. I think the sneak peak needs to be an actual FSD driving feature since as you say, showing the car doing the right thing is better than just showing stuff on the screen.
If they roll this out soon then that would be awesome and slightly ahead of when I thought they'd be doing it (just based on a wild guess). I've read that they may have been testing this is parallel for a while now but I don't know if that's true.

At any rate - I'd love to see this.

Having said that, they still have several cases of lane keeping that need to be sorted out for city driving. I'm still seeing many instances where the car misreads the lane lines while going through an intersection or a longer break in the center line.

And Knightshade - trust me. I know. Per the manual it's only meant to be used on divided highways.

Reactions: Knightshade
^^^^^This.... I'd almost be more impressed if they just made NoA work when the lane lines are hard to read or when the entrance/exit space is short. Or make NoA work on highways that are not limited access. Or maybe just take the nags down a notch or 10......

Reactions: vinnie97
I've seen people post about pushing the "Advanced" Software Update Preference button 4 times and the update starts. My MX Raven was running 2019.40.2.1, so I figured why not push it 4 times and see what happens. It instantly started downloading 2019.40.2.4. Wonder if this is the update Elon was talking about?

Attachments

• IMG_3282.jpg
    IMG_3282.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 69
I've seen people post about pushing the "Advanced" Software Update Preference button 4 times and the update starts. My MX Raven was running 2019.40.2.1, so I figured why not push it 4 times and see what happens. It instantly started downloading 2019.40.2.4. Wonder if this is the update Elon was talking about?
I kinda doubt it. But let us know what the release notes say one you get it installed. I just checked Teslafi and I do see that 40.2.4 has started rolling out. Only 5 cars so far.

I am 99% certain that tapping the button does nothing, normally people go to that screen and the car starts to refresh itself and by the time you tap you coincidentally get the "update available" message.

Simply going to the software tab causes it to check for an update (if you actually read the screen it tells you this as its doing it)

Pushing it multiple times does literally nothing- but the "check" takes a few moments so people imagine they're "doing something" by doing that while the check is going through.

Coast to coast FSD active for a few days.

They're going to make our cars suddenly start driving from coast to coast? Will they hire extra staff to plug them in at the SCs? :D

Now I'm fully expecting to wake up on Christmas morning to find that my car has taken a quick vacation to Québec City, but ran out of battery somewhere around Lake Tahoe. :D

• Funny
Reactions: Silicon Desert