Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is Sunset Red?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
I've seen a reference in a few places to Sunset Red. I only know of Signature and Multi Coat reds. Did the Sunset come before MC? I've seen some Model S's on the road in a red that looked different, but I thought maybe it was just the MC red when it was dirty and not looking as bright. Was there a third red at some point?

Thanks.

Hi,
I've seen a reference in a few places to Sunset Red. I only know of Signature and Multi Coat reds. Did the Sunset come before MC? I've seen some Model S's on the road in a red that looked different, but I thought maybe it was just the MC red when it was dirty and not looking as bright. Was there a third red at some point?

Thanks.

Sunset Red was the original name for MC-red, back in the days when their colors had adjectives (pacific blue, dolphin grey, etc.)

Reactions: Red Sage
The car in this picture is Sunset Red. To the best of my knowledge, this was the only Sunset Red Model S. When the production red came to market, it was multi coat red, and while very similar, is just a little different.

464556_10200703424581228_1990713619_o.jpg

This car was one of the "Get Amped" cars. It had the textile interior, air suspension, tech package, and 3rd row seats. It was also a blast to drive :)

I wasn't being as semantic. :) While strictly true, references to "sunset red" here were made before the MC red color was available and the sunset red color morphed into the MC red. So for the purposes of considering older threads, I roughly equate them.

Sunset Red was the original name for MC-red, back in the days when their colors had adjectives (pacific blue, dolphin grey, etc.)

I guess I now know why my MC Red sparkles a subtle orange in direct sunlight (which is also present in Rifleman's pic where the hood's character line meets the A pillar). Anyone know what was changed exactly? I can't discern any difference at all, though pictures can be tough for metallic colors.