Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is Tesla basing the geographic prioritization on?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it based on the credit card billing address information we provided for the initial deposit?

I just went into my Primary Contact and I didn't even have information besides my name, country and the wrong province.

I'm thinking of moving to the West Coast prior to opening of the design studio :)

Could prioritization from the first 400k reservation holders by dynamic? We can't be all staying put when West Coast residents get third dib after employees and Model S and X owners.

Is it based on the credit card billing address information we provided for the initial deposit?

I just went into my Primary Contact and I didn't even have information besides my name, country and the wrong province.

I'm thinking of moving to the West Coast prior to opening of the design studio :)

Could prioritization from the first 400k reservation holders by dynamic? We can't be all staying put when West Coast residents get third dib after employees and Model S and X owners.
I'm sure there's a billing address with your $1000 reservation deposit.

Damn I should have put Vancouver, BC, back then, haha. That's now in hindsight of course.
I'm sure if you provide an updated address later they will use that. The prioritization comes after configuration and configuration is determined by reservation order.

Your Model 3 was reserved on 3/31/2016. Deliveries will begin in late 2017. You'll be invited to configure based on the date of your reservation. If you have any questions, please refer to our FAQ. We invite you to submit suggestions or feedback within our forums. Engage with other future owners to share your excitement or ideas. To withdraw your reservation, you may request a cancellation.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit
For a short period of time we were able to see our approximate position.

I am around 33,000.

Not that it REALLY matters or anything since they aren't doing the roll out by sequential numbers.. but still nice to have known at the time :)

Not based on our random reservation numbers but delivery is definitely partially based on our position in the queue and the add ons we choose.

Again, place in the queue only affects time of configuration... When that source code was on the My Tesla page we could get pretty decent ideas of where we were in the queue. My number matched what I saw during the reveal event as I reserved while the event was in progress.
These are only loosely correlated with delivery times due to geographic and drivetrain related prioritization.

I am in no rush. If our government incentive here goes poof mid next year before my AWD can be delivered, I just might cancel my reservation.
I am just wondering why people would not be "gaming" the geographic location to get their car sooner. I know there are additional costs involved (re-registration) but just saying. :)

I am in no rush. If our government incentive here goes poof mid next year before my AWD can be delivered, I just might cancel my reservation.
I am just wondering why people would not be "gaming" the geographic location to get their car sooner. I know there are additional costs involved (re-registration) but just saying. :)
I would game it, however I don't know how to play the game.

How would I change the home base of my registration? I didn't know the stupid west-to-east coast delivery rules before I stood in line in the rain all night.

You are most likely right. That is the only way to control it.

How easy is it to register a car out of state? Are there significant additional costs to bring the registration back in-state?

You just need a non-PObox address (or a PObox address, that looks like a physical address).
Then pay tax & reg for that state.
All states love taking your money, so they make it real easy for you.

For reg in the 2nd state, if its within 1Y you might need to pay additional sales tax, but only if that states tax is higher.
You get full credit for sales tax paid in the original state.

The reg fees, in the new state, will be as usual, so best to ride out with the first state thru expiration, to avoid double reg fees (as reg fees on a new 40k car can be a few hundred).
However, try not to get a ticket before that, because cops love writing you up for not having your car registered in the state listed on your drivers license.
In which case, you will just need to reg in your home state, within timeline given on ticket plus any extension you can get.

The Model X design studio opened every week between November to January based on reservation time. The model 3 will likely be the same but the delivery will be based on location

All along with Model 3 though, it said we'd be invited to configure based on when we reserved, not where we live. Where we live factors into purchase and delivery.

(Unless they walk back their policy of the last 15 months....)

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit