Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is Tesla doing now concerning the M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Essentially they are going through the process of making a new car. That includes testing components and the car, building and testing the factory, making sure their suppliers have their stuff in order, etc.

At some point they will start road testing beta prototypes and release candidates, and then things will pick up with sighting threads (and rampant speculation based on sightings), but for now most of the effort will be in building the factory and doing all the routine testing and supplier work, and that isn't visible.

I'm losing my interest in these reveals. I'm starting to feel like Teslas rich people are teasing reservation holding pheasants.
I guess some of these events may be a bit over the top, but that seems to be Tesla's preferred method for product announcements. Since they don't do traditional advertising, it's their way of generating buzz. I don't worry too much about some select people having drinks and appetizers at these events; I'm more interested in what Elon has to say and show afterwards.

Then, again, anyone who can afford a Tesla is hardly a peasant. :)

Last edited:
It's going to be a very frustrating year.

Maybe next time Tesla should take deposits much later than they did this time.

To hold $1K for 2 years is a long time.

You have to consider it as part of the "Tesla early adopter experience" or you are just going to get impatient and frustrated. If you think having $1K held for 2 years is hard, imagine those 2012 X reservation holders who put down $5K and are just now getting their cars.

I actually won't feel like I have gotten the FULL Tesla reservation experience until we have had at least one delay announcement. ;)

We knew the timeline before placing our deposits. In fact since we placed our deposits, Tesla has moved up the timeline of the Model 3 because demand was so great. If Tesla had waited to take the deposits, they wouldn't have known the high demand, and wouldn't have moved up the timeline.

To be fair, taking the deposits for the Model 3 as early as they did was probably a necessity. Audi, BMW... know how many cars they're selling/year of each model and can plan according to that for next years model(s). And they have the factories, parts manufacturers on board already. Tesla was in a different position before they had the 370k Model 3 reservations.

But it will be different with the Y. The Gigafactory will be online, they know what the demand is.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
We can't have our cake and eat it too. When we made our reservations we all knew very well what the timeline would be. In fact, originally it was going to be two MORE years until we had anything definite. I think it's more than a little unfair to all of the sudden expect something to change just because we are getting impatient. We have to put our big boy pants on, suck it up, and realize that we all signed on to a long term project.

Take up painting...or yoga...or Zen meditation maybe.

Dan

I'm not sure that the prediction that the 2nd reveal will be this year. With the S and the X, wasn't the final unveil event a lot closer to the release date? I'm thinking the second reveal will happen 3 months before production is due to start so people can configure their cars, they can be sorted into batches and production can start.