TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What is Tesla doing now concerning the M3?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Garlan Garner, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Garlan Garner

Garlan Garner Active Member

Anyone know what Tesla is doing concerning the M3?

Is it going to be this quiet for the next 18 months?

2. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

3. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

Essentially they are going through the process of making a new car. That includes testing components and the car, building and testing the factory, making sure their suppliers have their stuff in order, etc.

At some point they will start road testing beta prototypes and release candidates, and then things will pick up with sighting threads (and rampant speculation based on sightings), but for now most of the effort will be in building the factory and doing all the routine testing and supplier work, and that isn't visible.

4. Odebek

Odebek Don't Panic

The next public announcement is supposed to be at year end...

5. JeffK

JeffK Active Member

I wonder if that uber announcement today will affect the timeline. Granted uber is not selling autonomous cars and there'll be two people in the front seat of their autonomous cars for the trial. It would still be nice for Tesla to get that announcement out there.

6. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Member

Other than rumors, speculation, minor leaks from suppliers, and tantalizing tweets from Elon, I don't expect to learn anything new of significance until Reveal 2.

7. Garlan Garner

It's going to be a very frustrating year.

Maybe next time Tesla should take deposits much later than they did this time.

To hold $1K for 2 years is a long time.

• Funny x 1
  8. Garlan Garner

I'm losing my interest in these reveals. I'm starting to feel like Teslas rich people are teasing reservation holding pheasants.

• Dislike x 3
  9. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Member

#9 BluestarE3, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
    I guess some of these events may be a bit over the top, but that seems to be Tesla's preferred method for product announcements. Since they don't do traditional advertising, it's their way of generating buzz. I don't worry too much about some select people having drinks and appetizers at these events; I'm more interested in what Elon has to say and show afterwards.

Then, again, anyone who can afford a Tesla is hardly a peasant. :)

10. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Active Member

You have to consider it as part of the "Tesla early adopter experience" or you are just going to get impatient and frustrated. If you think having $1K held for 2 years is hard, imagine those 2012 X reservation holders who put down $5K and are just now getting their cars.

I actually won't feel like I have gotten the FULL Tesla reservation experience until we have had at least one delay announcement. ;)

• Funny x 7
    • Love x 2
    • Like x 1
  11. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Active Member

We knew the timeline before placing our deposits. In fact since we placed our deposits, Tesla has moved up the timeline of the Model 3 because demand was so great. If Tesla had waited to take the deposits, they wouldn't have known the high demand, and wouldn't have moved up the timeline.

• Like x 9
  12. Laban

Laban Member

To be fair, taking the deposits for the Model 3 as early as they did was probably a necessity. Audi, BMW... know how many cars they're selling/year of each model and can plan according to that for next years model(s). And they have the factories, parts manufacturers on board already. Tesla was in a different position before they had the 370k Model 3 reservations.

But it will be different with the Y. The Gigafactory will be online, they know what the demand is.

• Like x 1
  13. TaoJones

TaoJones Beyond Driven

2 years? 2 years is nothing. Nothing! (Dustin Hoffman voice - Wag the Dog)

14. Dan Detweiler

Dan Detweiler Member

We can't have our cake and eat it too. When we made our reservations we all knew very well what the timeline would be. In fact, originally it was going to be two MORE years until we had anything definite. I think it's more than a little unfair to all of the sudden expect something to change just because we are getting impatient. We have to put our big boy pants on, suck it up, and realize that we all signed on to a long term project.

Take up painting...or yoga...or Zen meditation maybe.

Dan

• Like x 7
    • Funny x 4
  15. vitz

vitz Member

I'm not sure that the prediction that the 2nd reveal will be this year. With the S and the X, wasn't the final unveil event a lot closer to the release date? I'm thinking the second reveal will happen 3 months before production is due to start so people can configure their cars, they can be sorted into batches and production can start.

16. Neohippy

Neohippy Member

I have been waiting for this car to come out for much longer then 2 years. We are on the homestretch and I don't mind waiting. It gives me something to look forward to. I haven't been this excited about a car in many years

• Like x 5
  17. Garlan Garner

Thanks everyone. I'm wonder what the feelings will be like a year from now when the car still isn't available.

• Dislike x 1
  18. CuriousG

CuriousG Member

Could be worse as was the case for people waiting on Model X when they first introduced it.

• Like x 1
  19. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

We'll be marvelling that you've managed to stay so irritated for so long.
    Kinda inspiring.

What's your secret? High blood pressure? Fox News?

Doesn't mix well with Tesla time. :)

• Funny x 15
    • Like x 1
  20. el crucero

el crucero Member

Sir, I consider that an affront! I'll have you know that I am a reservation holding turkey! :oops: Where did all those pheasants get their $1000 reservation deposits? o_O

• Funny x 13