Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is Tesla doing with all the cars it takes back after the lease?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although I’ve been a Tesla owner since 2013, when my 16 year old daughter needed a car, I leased a plain vanilla base Model 3. As everyone on this forum knows, most recent Tesla leases do not include a buyout option (unlike most other standard leases) at the end of the term.

The associate at the service center told me that this is because “Tesla’s going to have a fleet of self-driving robotaxis and will take the lease end cars to create the fleet.” Although I’m an enthusiastic early adopter, and have FSD beta enabled on my Model 3, I think the idea of self-driving robotaxis with current technology is a fantasy. The regulatory hurdles alone, even if the technology works as advertised (which it doesn’t), would take years to overcome.

All of which begs the question: what is Tesla doing with all of its repossessed cars at lease end? I don’t see a robotaxi fleet for years, so is it simply selling the used cars at a markup? I could sell my Model 3 for more than I paid for it in 2018, so I can’t blame Tesla for wanting to take advantage of the windfall profits available to sellers of appreciating used cars.

But if Tesla is just going to sell the cars that are turned in at the end of the lease, wouldn’t there be less transactional “friction” in terms of overhead, paperwork, and headaches involved if it simply offered to sell the car to the original leaseholder at the end of the lease?

I’m sure there are those on this forum who may have an insight as to what is going on. Do let us know.

They are selling them at auction. They can sell them at auction at a higher price right now than selling them to the lease holder. Also, Tesla is allowing pretty much anyone out of their leases at anytime. I've seen people in a lease for 3 months and many at a year, because they can sell them at such a premium.

Although I’ve been a Tesla owner since 2013, when my 16 year old daughter needed a car, I leased a plain vanilla base Model 3. As everyone on this forum knows, most recent Tesla leases do not include a buyout option (unlike most other standard leases) at the end of the term.

The associate at the service center told me that this is because “Tesla’s going to have a fleet of self-driving robotaxis and will take the lease end cars to create the fleet.” Although I’m an enthusiastic early adopter, and have FSD beta enabled on my Model 3, I think the idea of self-driving robotaxis with current technology is a fantasy. The regulatory hurdles alone, even if the technology works as advertised (which it doesn’t), would take years to overcome.

All of which begs the question: what is Tesla doing with all of its repossessed cars at lease end? I don’t see a robotaxi fleet for years, so is it simply selling the used cars at a markup? I could sell my Model 3 for more than I paid for it in 2018, so I can’t blame Tesla for wanting to take advantage of the windfall profits available to sellers of appreciating used cars.

But if Tesla is just going to sell the cars that are turned in at the end of the lease, wouldn’t there be less transactional “friction” in terms of overhead, paperwork, and headaches involved if it simply offered to sell the car to the original leaseholder at the end of the lease?

I’m sure there are those on this forum who may have an insight as to what is going on. Do let us know.

Tesla model 3s have never had a lease buyout option direct from tesla to the person leasing the vehicle. I believe model S and X did, but model 3 and Y have never been able to be bought off lease directly, not since they introduced leasing for the model 3 and Y.

It appears that they currently keep a few, and send most of the rest to auction. There was a lot of expectation that tesla would eventually loosen up on this by people online, but the reverse has happened. Tesla stopped allowing third party dealers to buy the leases (which was available on model 3 and Y leases prior).

Previously, even though there was no lease buy out directly of a tesla model 3 or Y lease, a person could sell the lease to a third party auto dealer. Tesla stopped that in 2021, however, along with a lot of other auto makers.

They have been saying that line about robotaxi's for a while as the reason, and while I dont have any expectation that is going to happen any time soon (like most), the fact is that they make more money now selling them at auction, so there isnt any reason for them to reverse course other than "customer good will", which isnt something I think they are focused on as a company (to put that mildly).