Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is Tesla Motors' biggest flaw/challenge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quality and post-sales support. Quality for the obvious reason. Post sales support because EVs are new and will take some hand holding and Tesla doesn't have a massive infrastructure to piggy back on like Nissan with the Leaf. I've said several times that I think Tesla would be well suited to partner on service with one of it's drive train partners (e.g. Toyota or Daimler).

agreed.. the Model S is competing with BMW and Mercedes ,Audi, Lexus etc...yet they do not even offer loaner vehicles.... The biggest problem with Tesla is that they want to do things differently, even if it is not better in some cases. Having rangers for service seems to be a good idea on paper, but if the owner of the vehicle is paying for the Rangers Mileage plus the actual service a lot of people who consider the Model S may be turned off. If someone pays 90 large or even 57k for a car but they must rely on a friend/family member to pick them up after dropping the car off for service, this will turn off a lot of people who may be interested in purchasing a Model S ...Bmw owners get free maintenance and a loaner, Mercedes owners can pre-pay for maintenance or pay for maintenance and also get a free loaner...same with Audi....The Model S will probably require predetermined yearly maintenance (same as other luxury marques) how does this highlight the advantages of an EV if it must be maintained at the same interval as a gas vehicle?...they should include maintenance in the price of the vehicle....The service portion and how customers are treated after sales will determine the success of Tesla longterm.

Tesla needs to do a few things that are more mainstream to be able to capture a larger audience.

I think I know what you're getting at, but define "mainstream" please.... It could be argued that part of the attraction is the fact that they do things differently? I.e. not mainstream.

Services provided by auto manufacturers in that price segment which Tesla is not providing (i.e Loaner Cars) or that any auto dealership provides (i.e. shuttles)

Some makers that offer a free loaner

BMW
Lexus
Audi
Infiniti

Does not

Ferrari
Lamborghini
Austin Martin
Tesla

Please contribute.

very odd my local Ferrari and Lamborghini dealers always give me free loaners (usually either a Mercedes CL/SL or Continental GT)...may depend on the dealer instead of the marque?

Does Tesla even offer loaners at all? I have always been told to leave my car and come back when they call...

very odd my local Ferrari and Lamborghini dealers always give me free loaners (usually either a Mercedes CL/SL or Continental GT)...may depend on the dealer instead of the marque?

Does Tesla even offer loaners at all? I have always been told to leave my car and come back when they call...

Probably depends on the dealer (if they have the extra stock for loaners). The SF Jaguar/Land Rover/Lotus/Lamborghini/Bentley dealer has shuttle service, but no loaner.
http://local.sfgate.com/b17599000/British-Motor-Car-Distributors,-LTD

Given the low amount of stock most Tesla stores will have, I doubt there will be loaners anytime soon. Perhaps a shuttle.

Probably depends on the dealer (if they have the extra stock for loaners). The SF Jaguar/Land Rover/Lotus/Lamborghini/Bentley dealer has shuttle service, but no loaner.
http://local.sfgate.com/b17599000/British-Motor-Car-Distributors,-LTD

Given the low amount of stock most Tesla stores will have, I doubt there will be loaners anytime soon. Perhaps a shuttle.

So tesla has offered loaners (where they have had stock)? I do not think anyone needs an electric loaner, just a vehicle to get around in while the tesla is getting serviced.

I'll just take Ranger service and work from home that day, or take the subway to work. While my Audi dealer has nice digs to spend time while they work on my car, I'd be far happier spending that time at my house. $20 in Ranger fees is chump change compared to the hassle cost of getting to, and dealing with, a dealership. (Yes, I'm fortunate to live close to a Tesla store and to my office; the downside is that real estate costs are much higher in the urban core.)

I'll just take Ranger service and work from home that day, or take the subway to work. While my Audi dealer has nice digs to spend time while they work on my car, I'd be far happier spending that time at my house. $20 in Ranger fees is chump change compared to the hassle cost of getting to, and dealing with, a dealership. (Yes, I'm fortunate to live close to a Tesla store and to my office; the downside is that real estate costs are much higher in the urban core.)

I do not think its possible to request ranger service if you live relatively close to a Tesla Store....The Ranger program is meant for customers who live far away from Tesla Service Centers.

I took my VW in for a recall 4 months after my annual service. I basically had to take the entire day off to take it there, get the shuttle back to my house and then go back. Taking the day off of work has it's own costs as well and sometimes they are more than ranger service.

I think keeping build quality up is going to be the biggest challenge. I'd be concerned about continuing to innovate, but I think the way Tesla has set up their design culture is probably sustainable as the company grows. The same goes for service since Tesla want to continue to own the stores. But managing quality on the factory floor is going to get harder and harder as they grow. At some point the largest portion of their workforce will be there because "it's a job" and not because "it's Tesla".

After seeing the beta in person for the first time today, I hope Tesla will be dramatically improving the attention to detail both outside and in. My concern is although the technology is very interesting, it may be difficult for them to compete in this price class against companies with decades of experience crafting beautiful automobiles to very high standards. I understand execution at Tesla should be better in production, but even the design in person pales in comparison to something like an A7 or E-class. Not so much in pictures, but when you see it in the flesh. This is, after all, an $80k+ car at the end of the day. $100k with the options I want.

Is it really better than an E63 or A7 for the same price?

I'll probably keep my deposit in case the production units are dramatically better, but honestly I'd probably look forward to a Mercedes down the road with a Tesla engineered drivetrain. That may still be years away, but it would be the best of both worlds, with this very cool "Silicon Valley" technology married to German craftsmanship that obviously is very difficult to replicate.

For me, even though EV technology is very exciting, I may prefer to wait until an experienced car company can put it into a complete package. If other buyers are like me (not core EV enthusiasts) then this could present a challenge for Tesla. Just a thought.

It may be easier (less costly) for Tesla to have loaner Model S's (or Rav4EVs or Daimler's car) than it would have been for Roadsters.

How would it work with the Tesla home charging station...from what I have read the Model S is proprietary but includes a J1772 adapter...so how would a Tesla Model S/Roadster owner charge a Rav4 EV or Daimler...are these cars going to use a Tesla connector or a J1772 connector?

I think a lot of it falls to Tesla's volunteer sales force (us). While my only confirmed sale for a Model S are my parents (ok, that doesn't count), I've talked to a few people at work who are at least thinking about it now. They wouldn't have even considered an EV before I got the Roadster and took them for a ride.

Yes, early adopters will be a very effective "sales force". We are organizing a Telsa Motors enthusiasts club in Florida. In addition to influencing friends and family, after delivery of our cars and after we start having local meets, we will be able to influence the general public and local government officials. I'm sure that our Florida store manager will be happy to provide us with promotional materials to hand out at local events.

Larry

One point of view is that Tesla is starting with a problem. Sure, starting a new car company is a huge challenge. However, another point of view is that Tesla is starting with a solution. I guess I don't have to explain.

Everything and nothing will be a challenge, all the little details and coordinating them with the key tasks. I agree with the importance of customer service, however Tesla does not yet have a huge bag of cash and a huge workforce to please customers with all kinds of conveniences. Since most reservation holders can't wait and would like to get their Model S as soon as possible, it would be great if Tesla could jump-start into the Model S business quickly without spending too much time on each individual reservation holder, yet start offering more and more conveniences and individual attention as the cash registers fill up. ;) I suppose it would be good to clarify any questions before first deliveries start, as then Tesla will likely need everyone to help with "swiftly" delivering dozens, hundreds, and then thousands of EVs. Once things settle down a bit (probably during 2013), comes the time to relax and ask for a cup of coffee. :)

Is it really better than an E63 or A7 for the same price?
So, evinfairfax raises an example of the communications challenge that Tesla has to face: getting people to think of comparables in lifetime cost of ownership (LCO) rather than purchase price. If you go shopping for $80k cars, there are a lot of beauties. If you look at a lower-tier of ICE vehicles with similar LCO to the Model S, however, you get to a different set of competitors. Math is not intuitive to most people, however, so sticker-to-sticker comparisons are inevitable, and Tesla loses ground in that comparison. It's essential that Tesla have a highly credible, customizable software package that helps buyers walk through the LCO calculation so they can see for themselves what the LCO is for the Model S and their alternatives.

There's no doubt in my mind, though, that Model S buyers must make choices about what's important to them in a vehicle; although Elon may believe otherwise, Model S will not be top in every category (at least not for everyone). Again, it's a communications challenge: Tesla has to set a strong brand image that emphasizes the positives of its brand. Saying "we're best at everything" loses credibility -- like evinfairfax, I can point to cars with exteriors and interiors that I like better, I've never bought a car solely on its looks.