TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

What is Tesla PowerWall doing in Puerto Rico for Rebuild?

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by Gillfoto, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Gillfoto

Gillfoto Member

What is Tesla PowerWall doing in Puerto Rico for Rebuild?

2. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

?? Can you expand on this question?
    --

• Like x 1
  3. TheTalkingMule

TheTalkingMule Distributed Energy Enthusiast

It's a bit early to be talking Powerwall in PR, the streets are still chaotic and there's zero power. I can tell you that Tesla is at least rumored to be active on some of the nearby USVI who were smoked by Irma a week before Maria. Give it another week or so and I'm sure you'll hear something.

I'll be updating the USVI thread as I get confirmation of legit activities. Amazing marketing/education opportunity for Tesla Energy.

• Like x 1
  4. kort677

kort677 Banned

how many powerwalls do you believe have been installed in PR?

• Like x 1
  5. Gillfoto

Gillfoto Member

I have no idea; but if I was Elon Musk I might be tempted to suggest to the US Government and Puerto Rico; that a redesign of some communities infrastructure taking advantage of small modular power wall system and solar power would benefit the country and it might be cheaper.

6. realvvk

realvvk Member

Putting power lines under ground would be a good start.

• Like x 1
  7. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Member

Puerto Rico is so far in debt that they have no funds for anything more than essential.

8. kort677

kort677 Banned

sadly they are paying the price now for decades of incompetent governance.
    the question is how much does the US do to stave off an imminent humanitarian disaster on PR?

9. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

10. Gillfoto

Gillfoto Member

Ok, but what about thinking outside the Box. If PowerWall Packs and a suitable number of Solar arrays were deployed to small (villages) population centers; similar to the Kauai Solar & PowerWall installation but by a reduction in scale to 10%. What about configuring a mobile 'Solar PowerWall'?

11. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

Yes, lets hope some positive comes out of this natural disaster. They can rebuild for the future using the best of current/future technology.

12. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

• Like x 3
  13. commasign

commasign Active Member

Beyond trying to repair the grid, a PowerPack and some solar panels would be helpful for getting hospitals and emergency services up and running at the individual building or small clusters of buildings level. Also cellular and other communications infrastructure... And... (excuse the irony).. gas stations.

• Like x 1
  14. WillK

WillK Member

Wow. I hope these make a huge difference in peoples lives really soon. I'd love to see some power packs too. Any clue how many Power Walls and staff are in Puerto Rico?
    I believe this is about more than PR, that Tesla really wants to make a difference.

• Like x 1
  15. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

So the general consensus is that there will be no more MegaHurricanes until next September? So can solar arrays even withstand a Level2 hurricane (I just don't know)? What good are PowerPacks when you don't have solar arrays?

Dismay that the military could not deliver portable cell towers all over the island to provide basic phone service. Somehow I figured they had such equipment for FEMA to deploy.
    --

• Like x 1
  16. TheTalkingMule

TheTalkingMule Distributed Energy Enthusiast

Most solar panels are rated for 135mph winds and would be fine in a Category 3 or 4 storm if mounted properly and not smashed by flying debris.

A Powerwall mounted indoors would obviously be fine.

• Like x 2
  17. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

This is an opportunity to rebuild the grid in PR on a solar microgrid model. The old central large fossil fuel plant and large transmission tower model obviously is a failure.

• Like x 1
  18. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Found this photo in Business Insider

rtx3gl1n.jpg

• Like x 3
  19. realvvk

realvvk Member

Thank you for the links.

Growing up in Europe, I did not see a single power outage. I also did not see a single wooden utility pole -- all were made from metal or reinforced concrete. When I lived in an area with above ground power lines in the US, every other thunderstorm would kick the power off. Now that I live in a neighborhood with underground electric, no more power outages.

It would be super easy to make underground lines cost competitive. Just introduce punitive laws that make utility companies reimburse the economic impact of constant outages, road closures to cut tree branches or repair overhead cables and so on. Money talks.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1