Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is Tesla PowerWall doing in Puerto Rico for Rebuild?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a bit early to be talking Powerwall in PR, the streets are still chaotic and there's zero power. I can tell you that Tesla is at least rumored to be active on some of the nearby USVI who were smoked by Irma a week before Maria. Give it another week or so and I'm sure you'll hear something.

I'll be updating the USVI thread as I get confirmation of legit activities. Amazing marketing/education opportunity for Tesla Energy.

Reactions: gillfoto
how many powerwalls do you believe have been installed in PR?
I have no idea; but if I was Elon Musk I might be tempted to suggest to the US Government and Puerto Rico; that a redesign of some communities infrastructure taking advantage of small modular power wall system and solar power would benefit the country and it might be cheaper.

Ok, but what about thinking outside the Box. If PowerWall Packs and a suitable number of Solar arrays were deployed to small (villages) population centers; similar to the Kauai Solar & PowerWall installation but by a reduction in scale to 10%. What about configuring a mobile 'Solar PowerWall'?

Ok, but what about thinking outside the Box. If PowerWall Packs and a suitable number of Solar arrays were deployed to small (villages) population centers; similar to the Kauai Solar & PowerWall installation but by a reduction in scale to 10%. What about configuring a mobile 'Solar PowerWall'?

Yes, lets hope some positive comes out of this natural disaster. They can rebuild for the future using the best of current/future technology.

Beyond trying to repair the grid, a PowerPack and some solar panels would be helpful for getting hospitals and emergency services up and running at the individual building or small clusters of buildings level. Also cellular and other communications infrastructure... And... (excuse the irony).. gas stations.

So the general consensus is that there will be no more MegaHurricanes until next September? So can solar arrays even withstand a Level2 hurricane (I just don't know)? What good are PowerPacks when you don't have solar arrays?

Dismay that the military could not deliver portable cell towers all over the island to provide basic phone service. Somehow I figured they had such equipment for FEMA to deploy.
--

Found this photo in Business Insider

rtx3gl1n.jpg

Thank you for the links.

Growing up in Europe, I did not see a single power outage. I also did not see a single wooden utility pole -- all were made from metal or reinforced concrete. When I lived in an area with above ground power lines in the US, every other thunderstorm would kick the power off. Now that I live in a neighborhood with underground electric, no more power outages.

It would be super easy to make underground lines cost competitive. Just introduce punitive laws that make utility companies reimburse the economic impact of constant outages, road closures to cut tree branches or repair overhead cables and so on. Money talks.

• Love
Reactions: gillfoto and Ulmo