Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is Tesla's upcoming 'under your nose' announcement?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When Elon was in Norway recently, in the Q&A section, he mentioned that by the time cars were shipping there (Around the June, July time frame I believe) that Wi-Fi would already be enabled on their cars, so it seems to fit in the time line that by the end of April, beginning of May that Tesla will be ready to activate Wi-Fi connectivity for North American cars and may make that announcement soon. On the specs page for the Model S, it still does list 'Wi-Fi ready'.

I wouldn't consider this a major announcement, but maybe Elon thinks it is?

WiFi and hard drive are due bill items that were promised all along and have already been paid for by those who already have their Model Ses. Could Tesla spin these into a big announcement? Certainly, but I hope that's beneath them.

Parking sensors? Certainly qualify as one of the most frequently requested features, and one of the most rumoured ones, too. At the same time, to date there was no official word on parking sensors. That announcement would qualify as a real surprise on top of what we already know and expect. Also, it nicely fits the "under your nose" (cone) reference. That's where my vote goes. (FWIW I was wrong on the last announcement.)

On the service side announcement, Tesla will release a calculator that shows you how your $600/year service is "free" when you take into account the time you save by only having to do services every 12'500 miles instead of every 3000 miles.

It's 4G connectivity hardware already installed.

that would be *VERY* cool.

Parking sensors? Certainly qualify as one of the most frequently requested features, and one of the most rumoured ones, too. At the same time, to date there was no official word on parking sensors. That announcement would qualify as a real surprise on top of what we already know and expect. Also, it nicely fits the "under your nose" (cone) reference. That's where my vote goes.

He said 'if you're driving a Model S it's right under your nose". So whatever it is, we already have it, and it seems like they are going to enable it. So *IF* it is actually parking sensors, that would *REALLY* suck for everyone that paid for aftermarket parking sensor installs. Personally, I'd rather have the 4G than parking sensors.

It may be parking sensors as
Volker suggests. I recently had front/rear sensors installed and discovered that the front nosecone already has the indentations on the backside for parking sensors.

Parking sensors could be installed on the front. I was told by my DS that there will be a software upgrade that will use the Rear HD Camera to assist in backing up. The HD Screen will show lines and there will be an audible signal as you get closer.

He should announce a Tesla Super Car

4 Wheel Drive (AWD),
4 Motor,
4 Wheel Steering,
independent wheel torque ability
1200 Horse power,
1000 Torque,
100MPG,
1000KM range,
Graphene super capacitors
10 minute recharge
100,000 cycle capacitor
Super charger, J1772, CHAdeMO connectors (no adapters)
3000lbs weight

$200,000 price tag

my money is on the table, ill remortgage/pull the equity out of my house if this becomes real.

Doesn't it seem to you that they've just scratched the surface of possibilities?

Nav
- actually save old destinations (doesn't currently)
- allow favorites
- home button
- can we get maps off the harddrive? Right now it seems like its all downloading off 3G
- integrate traffic data when planning routes
- allow warnings when you are exceeding the speed limit (perhaps throw in a customizable cushion of 5-10 mph)

Music
- Access to harddrive
- Allow for it to remember where you paused a podcast
- Allow it to play the audio portion of video files mp4s)
- Pull picture and artist info from mp3 on your thumb drive
- Add Pandora

Voice control
- Add a lot more options

Internet
- flash player?
- allow the storing of cookies
- when you push your finger and hold it, perhaps magnify the area to make sure you are clicking on the right spot
- multiple tab support

General
- How about different skins? How about an Aero theme?
- LTE
- WiFi for faster updates

You should send that list to Tesla, if you haven't already. ;)

When I said the "current one actually seems great", I was more thinking that I like the current design. And there don't seem to be objections to how it generally works.

But in terms of something new, they might also have some big new ideas for the dash we can't think of. (As opposed to improving specific individual features, another one of which might be for the range display to incorporate the "projected" miles in some way.)

Would be great. I'd prefer that to the data connectivity, though WiFi would be great at some point. But those of you who had them aded aftermarket, wouldn't the installer kinda see that it is pre-wired? Or will there need to be more than just software added to the car to make it work?

Parking sensors could be installed on the front. I was told by my DS that there will be a software upgrade that will use the Rear HD Camera to assist in backing up. The HD Screen will show lines and there will be an audible signal as you get closer.

I imagine he'll announce a lot more Superchargers and perhaps an even faster charging rate.

The one under our noses I'm guessing is the 5.0 software release which will enable Wi-Fi and perhaps enable a cool feature or two. I know there's been some mention of making apps in the car location aware as well.

Honestly Im a little skeptical of any software changes being announced. Seeing the firmware-related issues from relatively basic updates, and how impactful they can be, I'd be surprised in some ways if any major software-based improvements are announced in the near term.

We all have a mouth under our nose. Perhaps Siri integration or other Voice Recognition improvements.
Whatever is it I will be excited to see!

- - - Updated - - -

but I would rather it be a Model R!!!

http://autos.yahoo.com/news/10-cars-we-wish-automakers-would-build-191331263.html?page=2

Personally, I'd rather have the 4G than parking sensors.

No way, not me. Parking sensors would be fantastic. There are other solutions for 4G (including tethering to our cell phones which many of us will do anyway). There are no other cheap/free options for parking sensors.

I've been told flat out by local Tesla reps that there are sensors in the mirrors and bumpers and they just need to be activated. I've seen the bumpers off my car and I didn't see anything that looked like a sensor but I guess you never know.

Please let it be parking sensors... Please let it be parking sensors...

Probably just finally enabling WiFi.

The cars are all wired for parking sensors in front, and - apparently - blind spot detection.
Just in case you did not know. This hit the forum some time ago.
Patience. And virtuous parking sensors will follow. Front.
Not sure there is one for rear - just one right under your nose...nose cone.
Not sure if additional physical work or fee is involved.
Never had a car that kept getting better as I owned it.

The cars are all wired for parking sensors in front, and - apparently - blind spot detection.
Just in case you did not know. This hit the forum some time ago.
Patience. And virtuous parking sensors will follow. Front.
Not sure there is one for rear - just one right under your nose...nose cone.
Not sure if additional physical work or fee is involved.
Never had a car that kept getting better as I owned it.

And I heard the opposite directly from a tech at the service center. I asked him about them and he said in all of his work on the S (including having the bumpers off) he has never seen any extra wiring or otherwise to indicate something like parking sensors. It'd be nice if he was wrong, but I wouldn't bet on it.