Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the actual equivalent MPG?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have looked through the forum and a few posts hoping to find the estimate but all I’m finding is these complicated math equations they make zero sense to me.

mid it possible for Simone to explain it simply like this

it currently cost me $0.15 a mile to fuel my truck

It cost $0.11 a kWh here so as an estimate what would it cost to run the cybertruck.

• Disagree
Reactions: Electruck
I have looked through the forum and a few posts hoping to find the estimate but all I’m finding is these complicated math equations they make zero sense to me.

It cost $0.11 a kWh here so as an estimate what would it cost to run the cybertruck.

No way to tell. We don’t know how much energy the CT will need per mile.

Like others mentioned it's all speculation right now since Tesla didn't announce the size of the battery packs in each trim for us to estimate from there.

Going from the Model X and what I think the additional weight for the truck is, I'm guessing somewhere around 65-70MPGe conservatively.

No facts so don't quote me on that haha!

Reactions: Brekfst
I'd suspect 300-400 watts per mile, or about 0.3 - 0.4 kW per mile.
The Model 3 is around 250 and the Y can hit 400 w/m. Who know where the Cybertruck end up as.

Electric rates can vary in different parts of the country and there are often winter and summer rates. But I'll go with $0.15 per kWh, a average cost outside of the expensive states like CA.

At $0.15 per kWh, that's about 6 cents per mile.

I tend to run a little over the 350 watts/mile that I believe the Model X uses for a rated or ideal mile. But definitely under 400 watts/mile; 360-380. Car weight is similarish - CT being a bit higher, but not so much higher that I'd expect a significant difference based only on the weight.

This site indicates Model X cd is .24:
Audi e-tron Prototype Vs. Tesla Model X

Elon's indicated that with a lot of work they think they can get the cd on CT down to .30. That's more similar to the eTron (0.28) than Model X. Regular pickup trucks are more like .45.

I don't have a translation for cd into mpge, but from what I've seen so far my best simple guess is 400 watts/mile (or 2.5 miles per kWh). That 400 watts/mile comes from all that above, a guess, a desire to land on a round number, and a pretty strong belief that the truck will be closer to 400 watts/mile than 500 watts/mile. I don't see any way that the empty truck consumes 500 watts/mile unloaded.

Another point of comparison - we've got a truck bed trailer we tow behind our Model X (enables us to have an electric pickup truck today - no need to wait on CT! Get your truck bed trailer today!). Sort of like towing a parachute around at times :).

With a couple of yards of wood chips (full to the rim of the trailer, but pretty light - say 2-3k lbs total) and a cart strapped down on top (did I mention towing a parachute?), usage goes up to around 600-650 watts/mile; still under 2 for 1 or double consumption, but double consumption is how I estimate my actual range in that mashup because it's pretty close and leaves me a little bit of extra buffer.

The empty trailer in tow will be in the high 400's and low 500's (all assuming clear, mild weather, flattish roads, neutralish wind).

So I'd be outright shocked to learn that the Cybertruck efficiency is as bad as my Model X towing around the empty truck bed trailer, which is what it'd need to be to get to 500 watts/mile.

So my best guess, and final answer - 400 watts/mile.

I'd suspect 300-400 watts per mile, or about 0.3 - 0.4 kW per mile.
The Model 3 is around 250 and the Y can hit 400 w/m. Who know where the Cybertruck end up as.

Electric rates can vary in different parts of the country and there are often winter and summer rates. But I'll go with $0.15 per kWh, a average cost outside of the expensive states like CA.

At $0.15 per kWh, that's about 6 cents per mile.
Whoops, I meant X, not Y

As I've said in other threads, I expect the dual motor Cybertruck to come in right around 400 Wh/mile (watt-hours per mile, not watts per mile), which is 2.5 miles per kWh or 84.25 MPGe. Single motor might do a little better, triple motor might do a little worse. Big wheels and tires will have a significant impact, as they do on all vehicles.

I’m not asking for exact numbers. Just an estimate. For an example if you say 30% less than a model S. That would probably be pretty close in comparison to ice engine trucks and cars.

No.

Just the same as we CANNOT compare your driving habits and mine, your commute vs. mine, or the fact that I plug in at work for free and then at home on my solar kit.

What sort of generic stupid can you get to? No offense, but these questions are of Harley-Davisdon vs. moped kind of stuff!!!?!

• Disagree
No.

Just the same as we CANNOT compare your driving habits and mine, your commute vs. mine, or the fact that I plug in at work for free and then at home on my solar kit.

What sort of generic stupid can you get to? No offense, but these questions are of Harley-Davisdon vs. moped kind of stuff!!!?!

All he's asking for is a ballpark efficiency of the Cybertruck, perhaps compared to a Model S. He's not asking you to compare your driving and charging habits to his.

Another point in favor of the 400 wh/mile estimate - that's 2.5 miles / kWh and for a 200 kWh battery pack, that yields a 500 mile vehicle range.

As a ballpark estimate of efficiency, that seems like a good place to start and is what I'll use for my own estimate for now.

EDIT to add. 2.5 miles per kWh, at my electricity price of $0.11 per kWh, gets me to a fuel cost / mile of $0.044 / mile. 4.4 cents per mile sounds pretty good to me :).

Assuming 1/2 efficiency / double energy consumption while towing pushes that up to about 9 cents / mile. Of course, that's a function of the cost of electricity, and that varies a lot.

There’s a learned fellow who does a Youtube comparison of gas, Hydrogen and electric car comparison using many unanticipated factors that seemed appropriate and came up with 110mi/gal for Tesla (I don’t recall WHICH model).

When I run my numbers for here in WA where, I hear, electric is pretty cheap, I calculate 1.25 CENTS/mi, no including energy used to mine the elements that are used in my battery and paint job. I’m averaging for 7 months and 14K miles.

PS: Fun miles, every one

Another point in favor of the 400 wh/mile estimate - that's 2.5 miles / kWh and for a 200 kWh battery pack, that yields a 500 mile vehicle range.

As a ballpark estimate of efficiency, that seems like a good place to start and is what I'll use for my own estimate for now.

EDIT to add. 2.5 miles per kWh, at my electricity price of $0.11 per kWh, gets me to a fuel cost / mile of $0.044 / mile. 4.4 cents per mile sounds pretty good to me :).

Assuming 1/2 efficiency / double energy consumption while towing pushes that up to about 9 cents / mile. Of course, that's a function of the cost of electricity, and that varies a lot.

That’s a good point about the increase when towing. I’m gonna end up way cheaper than the gas truck even at only half the rates miles.