Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the advantage of Yoke steering?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whilst I agree that the round steering wheel doesn’t come across as one of the top problems Tesla should be addressing, I am looking forward to trying out the yoke wheel. It might be really intuitive and simply something you quickly get used to.
If not, I hope that I could still opt for a traditional one.
The gear selector I’m a bit more concerned about. Shift paddles would have been a good option with a yoke wheel, but I guess enough people really like the concept they’ve come up with for it to make it to production.

Last edited:
Whilst I agree that the round steering wheel doesn’t come across as one of the top problems Tesla should be addressing, I am looking forward to trying out the yoke wheel. It might be really intuitive and simply something you quickly get used to.
If not, I hope that I could still opt for a traditional one.
The gear selector I’m a bit more concerned about. Shift paddles would have been a good option with a yoke wheel, but I guess enough people really like the concept they’ve come up with for it to make it to production.
Enough people where? I don’t recall Tesla ever asking anyone. And if you mean Tesla employees then of course they’ll like it, Elon surrounds himself with yes men, speak out against any of his ideas and you’ll be unemployed quicker than the Tesla roadster can reach 60mph.

Reactions: Wol747
Enough people where? I don’t recall Tesla ever asking anyone. And if you mean Tesla employees then of course they’ll like it, Elon surrounds himself with yes men, speak out against any of his ideas and you’ll be unemployed quicker than the Tesla roadster can reach 60mph.
I'm not sure what I mean, as I am not privy to how the process works within product development at Tesla. So far though, I have really liked the products they have brought to the market, including things such as the Falcon wing doors, or the über-minimalistic interior of the 3/Y and I will wait with the thrashing of the yoke until I have tried it. That's all.
Have you worked at Tesla and feel that is how things are run?

I'm not sure what I mean, as I am not privy to how the process works within product development at Tesla. So far though, I have really liked the products they have brought to the market, including things such as the Falcon wing doors, or the über-minimalistic interior of the 3/Y and I will wait with the thrashing of the yoke until I have tried it. That's all.
Have you worked at Tesla and feel that is how things are run?
I have not, but I’ve followed elon musk since the model s was announced and he’s changed quite a bit. It’s not a secret no one says no to him at tesla

I have faith in Elon. I never saw the point of an EV until I test drove a Tesla, never saw the tremendous advantages of a hatch back 4 door sedan until I experience the amazing cargo capacity of a Model S.
Never understood the advantages of Falcon Wing Doors until experiencing them in my Model X.
Never saw the joy of Fart mode until seeing the reactions from my GrandKids. (Priceless)
Never understood the advantages of a single speed transmission coupled with one pedal driving until Elon showed the way.

For these and other personal experiences I will withhold my made up problems with Yoke steering until I see some feedback from the first customer experiences. Will continue to give Elon the benefit of believing in his advanced thinking.

I have a new Model X on order. Eager to see all the new stuff that it will contain.

Reactions: fakerlind and SO16
Just wondering. What is the advantage of this type of stearing wheel? If we ignore the “cool factor” that it is simply different. All I can think of is a better visibility on the display in front of driver. Anything else?

Personally, a stick between the knees and foot controls would be a novel nod to aviation heritage. Plus, you can do an Immelmann and park on the other side of the street in one motion.

Will continue to give Elon the benefit of believing in his advanced thinking.

I have no doubt that Musk is a very bright cookie. I am also in no doubt that knobs and levers are much more ergonomic in many applications than touchscreen icons.
Advanced thinking doesn't always mean things have been thought through very well. The software in the S is very advanced, but woefully user unfriendly in a lot of its interactions. I'm willing to give them the benefit but hope against hope that the rewrite will not perpetuate the deficiencies.