Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the average cost to charge at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am sure many have done this before but where can I find what the average daily driver who charges everyday or every other day, etc.. paid in their monthly electricity bill for EV driving.

Thanks

There is no way to determine this. How far do you drive each day? What is your cost of electricity? Does it vary by time of day? If so, when do you charge? What is the temperature? Is it raining? The list goes on and on...

That being said a good rule of thumb is to figure you will use about 1Kwh of energy for every 3 miles driven.

Lets say if one was to drive 1K miles/ month, charge > 11pm, I was just wondering on the average. Thanks.
How much do you pay per kwh? Look at your electric bill, get back to us and we'll tell you. I have no idea where "Medina" is.

But I can give you a range, it'll be between those number ;)
Low: $0.05/kwh * 0.33kwh/mile average * 1000miles/month = $16/month
High: $0.30/kwh * 0.33kwh/mile average * 1000miles/month = $99/month

It mostley depends on what you will be paying per kWh.

Some have time of use rates. It will depend on what time you set your Tesla to charge.

Others have tiered rates. Then it will depend on which tier you are in.

Lots of variables. Each indidual will vary. Depends on how much driving you do, and the amount of electricity uses times the rate you will be paying and the efficiency of your charging system.

• Informative
Reactions: BWa75D
Lets say if one was to drive 1K miles/ month, charge > 11pm, I was just wondering on the average. Thanks.

It will depend on your electric rate. You are asking the equivalent of how much a person will spend on gas per month without telling us the cost of gas. Presuming you live in the US and not Medina, Saudi Arabia, you will probably spend between $20 and $70 per month.

The correct answer is zero. We used the government EV rebate to install a small PV solar array and it produces enough power for our Model S to run 25,000 km/year free. The best news is that by feeding into the grid during the day and charging at night we gain the advantage of variable rates for time of day use. The additional benefit is that paying to charge anywhere is also free as the grid is the same and our array is pumping in at the same time that we are taking power out. Supercharging is always free so we don't think about the cost to run our Model S.

The better measurement is how much fuel cost you save by not having an ICE vehicle for your daily driving needs. That number blows away any electricity costs for over night charging.

I found out that in my state I pay .10c for the first 600 kWh and then .12c for anything over.
Since I go way over 600 I guess it really never made a difference at what time I charge the car! :)

I guess I can remove the night charge setting.

Thanks everyone.

Reactions: comanchepilot
I spend about $1000 a year.
I used to spend about $4000 on petrol.
I did 40,000km last year, but about a third of that was on road trips (superchargers).
All AUD and using Australian electricity and petrol prices.

• Informative
At 12c/kWh you would pay approximately $40/month to drive 1000 miles.
Personally, I pay about $6.50/month to drive that far (figuring the cost of my solar panels divided by the expected lifetime production of the panels).

• Informative
The cost of solar panels can be recovered in a few years of gasoline savings. We are in year three and that is why we consider running the car is now free for the next 30 years.

BTW, I plan to keep the Tesla and the solar array for that period so that the gasoline savings pay for the car as well.

I know.... in that time period the battery will degrade and solar array will degrade but so will I. Over the age of 100 I don't expect to be making a lot of Tesla road trips and the battery should still more than be sufficient for daily driving.

Weve owned two electric cars that charged daily.

2013 Volt: leased in Sept 2012. small battery, plus the motor - my wife drove it 75 miles RT a day. She usually saw about 50 miles on the battery in stop and go traffic mostly down hill to work - then went to ICE about 8 miles into the trip home - she had to buy gas maybe once every two weeks.

2014 MB B Class - current vehicle - leased new in April 2015. she can charge at work - so she only charges after the drive home - which is a 1300' elevation gain - The B class averages 2.83 miles per kwh - it is a very inefficient electric car because of its power to weight ratio. That said - my wife loves it- but is expecting her MX in late November. . . we would never have bought an e vehicle but for the car pool lane access. That said, I think my wife feels completely different about the Model X . . . she WATS the car/.

The B Class 'burns' about 16kwh coming home. This is 42.6 miles of mixed freeways stop and go. My records show that we use 17kwh over night to charge to full. Our tiered rate plan charges .11kwh so the cost is 0.11*17 = $1.87 a day or $37.50 a month if 20 days average of work.

In summer, if we charged it when she got home, the cost would be 0.28*17 = $4.76 a day - $95.20

This equates to about 67empg -

We're gonna charge the MX at work - so our cost should be zero more or less - I expect our power bill to go down by about $40 a month or so.

Even a Prius @ 48mpg would cost about $110 in fuel - electric is less expensive. Perhaps not 'green' but less expensive when government wants to force power companies to sell power cheaper at night.

Living in an apartment complex has its advantages such as free level 2 charging. But the downside is being worried that someone may park in your spot and ruin the day. Luckily, the neighbors are good about leaving the spot open . Also, my commute isn't too long and I have plenty of charge left on my S90D at the end of the day to forgo charging for 3-4 days.

Hopefully, more apartments will start installing chargers once Model 3 deliveries pick up since that'll convince a lot of people to buy a Tesla who don't have the means to charge it when living in an apartment.

Reactions: BoerumHill
To make the math simple, and not include charging losses:
Electricity rate ($/kwh) * efficiency of the car * miles driven a month

For me: $0.11/kwh * 0.33kwh/mile average * 1500miles/month = $55/month, but I drive a lot
With a Tesla, we are between 80-90% of charging efficiency. Hence to charge a 75kw battery, you need to send about 90kw of electricity.