Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the average cost to charge at home?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In California, to compute electric rate is actually very difficult, for EV drivers that opt for time-of-use your overnight rate decrease but daytime rate increase significantly, SCE have multiple TOU plans each with different rate not to mention the summer and winter differences. So if you are looking into cost saving, it might not be as much if you factor in vampire drain and charging efficiency. But it's still cheaper than filling up at a gas station.

I'm on an EV rate plan in CA. I drive only 24mi/day. It costs me $0.71-0.85 per day. But the real kicker is that I now pay $100.00 less per month in electricity due to the new rate plan and running all my appliances and hot tub at night. So I am actually being "paid" approx 75.00 per month!

But what I am saving in not buying liquid fossil fuels as handily being spent in buying solid fossil fuels in the form of 275/30/21" Hankooks!

More fun than pumping gas tho.

Reactions: Blup85
Many factors involved. Just like if you had a gas pump at your house. How much do you pay for the gas, how much are you driving per day/month, how efficiently do you drive, what season and temperature is it...

The cost for the electricity is almost certainly much less than you would pay for gas. In my case, about 1/3 the cost of gas for the same miles driven.

Reactions: brkaus
Our electric bill this month is $157. That's with two Model S in the garage, charging nightly in a 4000 sq ft house with 3 people. My wife drives hers 40-50 miles a day M-F for work and mine is used for M-F evening errands and all weekend outings.

Before the Tesla, my wife would spend over $100/month on gas for her 4-cylinder ecoboost Lincoln MKZ. My gas use is minimal because I drive about 10 miles round trip to/from work.

This November compared to last November, we used $.0.71 more electricity per day, which is a $21 increase for the month. This October compared to last October, we used $0.46 more per day, for a $14 increase over last year. The average temperature was about the same last year. We rarely charge outside of the house. Maybe on grocery runs, and on road trips. I am very please with the minimal cost to charge at home.

Reactions: whitex
don't forget to add the "generation" charges and "customer charges" (latter one if applicable) to your kwh cost.

That's what I was wondering. Is everyone quoting their delivery charges in addition to their generation charges? If so, I'm impressed at how cheap their electricity is.

In MA, I'm paying about $0.11/kWh for generation and $0.10 for delivery for a total of $0.21/kWh excluding a $6 account fee.

So at 80% charging efficiency, it's costing me about $0.07 per mile if I charge at home - definitely not cheaper than a hybrid assuming 40mpg. Even though I have solar, it's costing me money because I can't sell excess power back to the utility.

Luckily I can charge at work, which saves me a ton since I add about 35kWh in energy daily. Yes, people don't buy a Model S to save money, but I hate when I have to plug in at home.

Reactions: Parris and RAW84
The cost of solar panels can be recovered in a few years of gasoline savings.
Except the savings should be compared to if you bougth the power from the grid. So it's not free driving on solar vs. $400/month in gasoline, it's $40/month from grid vs. $400/month in gasoline. The solar panel pays for itself at the rate it would cost you to charge from the grid ($40/month), rather than the rate you're saving on gasoline ($400/month). I did the calculations a while back for solar for us and it would take 10 years+ to break even. Maybe the new Solar City shingles and Tesla power walls will be cheaper, but I doubt it as the power walls are not cheap. We buy electricity at ~$0.10/KWh.

Agreed on the longer payback if the solar panels are replacing grid power which is the common implementation. In our case the solar array was free using the government EV rebate and the gasoline savings can be applied to the EV purchase as a system which to us includes recovery of the government rebate that we spent on solar array. It could just as easily be applied to the purchase price of the Model S so that car is free after 30 years of use. I like the idea of not buying gasoline and that money can be spent was we like.

Reactions: mrElbe
When I charge at full capacity, I get a range of 180 miles for a 60kw battery so that's roughly 3 miles per kw.

I live in Phoenix, Arizona and my energy provider is APS. I googled their kWh rates and I saw APS charges $0.04750 per kWh for off-peak (which is when I charge the car) and so I guess I can use the below equation?

COST PER KWH / MILES PER KWH = COST PER MILE

So for my car:
0.0475 / 3 = $0.015 per mile.

I drove 2200 miles in my first month so cost for me has been $34? Sounds ridiculously low.

Reactions: GaryW
When I charge at full capacity, I get a range of 180 miles for a 60kw battery so that's roughly 3 miles per kw.

I live in Phoenix, Arizona and my energy provider is APS. I googled their kWh rates and I saw APS charges $0.04750 per kWh for off-peak (which is when I charge the car) and so I guess I can use the below equation?

COST PER KWH / MILES PER KWH = COST PER MILE

So for my car:
0.0475 / 3 = $0.015 per mile.

I drove 2200 miles in my first month so cost for me has been $34? Sounds ridiculously low.
That value is probably just for the production and doesn't include the delivery charges (which apply for peak and non-peak times). For example, my electric company might only charge $0.08 per kWh in non-peak and $0.16 per kWh during peak but then they could add $0.055 (for example) for delivery making the total costs $0.135 per kWh or $0.215 per kWh.

I live in the Seattle metro area. My electricity comes from PSE (Puget Sound Energy). My effective rate is $0.1192 per kWh.

Assuming a full charge of my X100D at the usual 92% efficiency I see...

$0.1192/kWh
100kW / 0.92 = 108.695652173913043
108.70 * $0.1192 = 12.9565217391304347256

So around $12.96 for a 100D in Seattle metro area.

I thought I was getting a GREAT deal on my electricity, but realized that in my case, supply charges are only about half the bill - not sure if it's like this everywhere or not. I just locked into a 6 month fixed supply rate at $0.0489/kWh, but delivery costs (variable) are about $0.047~/kWh, effectively making my rate about $0.095/kWh.

i think here in colorado we computed electricity via charging to be about 1/2 the price of a gasoline if car was ICE. Not as wow as we expected it to be but its a start. I was hoping it would be 1/4 the price of gasoline

Living in an apartment complex has its advantages such as free level 2 charging. But the downside is being worried that someone may park in your spot and ruin the day. Luckily, the neighbors are good about leaving the spot open . Also, my commute isn't too long and I have plenty of charge left on my S90D at the end of the day to forgo charging for 3-4 days.

Hopefully, more apartments will start installing chargers once Model 3 deliveries pick up since that'll convince a lot of people to buy a Tesla who don't have the means to charge it when living in an apartment.
I was on the Georgia Tech campus the other day and noticed in their parking decks they not only have a lot of fast chargers, but ALSO have exposed a BUNCH of 110 outlets as well. (I have argued loudly (into the wind) for years that places like airports don't need to install expensive fast chargers; rather, expose existing 110 outlets since most travelers are leaving for DAYS not for hours.) Georgia Tech is exposing 110 for ease, for cost, and for those who just need to top up during their workday. It's a genius move and nearly all of the spaces were occupied with very happy LEAF owners.

In Atlanta, the per kWh rate can vary from 4.29 cents (time of use rate plan) to 9.27 cents (normal plan, during non-summer months) to 16.22 cents (normal plan, summer months). Incredibly cheap power here, relative to most places in America. In my LEAF, I'm routinely enjoying 4.2 miles per kW, and therefore at $2.40 gasoline, a ~240mpg-e driving experience. Another 20,000 miles and my LEAF will have been 100% paid-for (sticker price early adopter) by gasoline vs electricity savings. Stunning. Six years old, zero problems, zero maintenance costs. Will NOT get rid of it when my M3 finally arrives; I want to keep both for decades as quaint reminders of what early EVs were like.

That's what I was wondering. Is everyone quoting their delivery charges in addition to their generation charges? If so, I'm impressed at how cheap their electricity is.

In MA, I'm paying about $0.11/kWh for generation and $0.10 for delivery for a total of $0.21/kWh excluding a $6 account fee.

So at 80% charging efficiency, it's costing me about $0.07 per mile if I charge at home - definitely not cheaper than a hybrid assuming 40mpg. Even though I have solar, it's costing me money because I can't sell excess power back to the utility.

Luckily I can charge at work, which saves me a ton since I add about 35kWh in energy daily. Yes, people don't buy a Model S to save money, but I hate when I have to plug in at home.

From my experience, people do not include their generation charges and other charges.
My rate is $.17 / kwh including everything. I still find it pricey though :)

and yes, you're right. When looking at a vehicle that can do 40+mpg there may not even be any savings at all. (Depending on rates)

I don't know why you'd ask about monthly cost, which depends on things that are likely to be different for every person answering (and different for you) rather than the rate -- $/mile -- which can be more reasonably averaged across multiple responses and then easily applied to your situation (making a few assumptions).

I think there's been a tendency to exaggerate the savings vs. gasoline, at least with gas prices as they've been the past couple of years. I suspect we're typical of a lot of people paying basically half the price per mile of gas (assuming a reasonably-but-not-super-efficient ICE car for comparison).

From my experience, people do not include their generation charges and other charges.
My rate is $.17 / kwh including everything. I still find it pricey though :)

and yes, you're right. When looking at a vehicle that can do 40+mpg there may not even be any savings at all. (Depending on rates)
The rates I quoted in this thread for Atlanta are the marginal rates. I excluded the $10/mo base charge since that is unavoidable unless jumping off the grid entirely. #lifegoals Power in the Southeast US is remarkably cheap...modern infrastructure (relative to the NE), relatively high share of nuke and natural gas, very little or no union labor, and very little/no state-level environmental requirements placed on the power companies.