Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the best way to address this slow tire leak on my Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a leased Model 3 AWD that over the last few weeks has developed a slow leak (2-3 psi a day) in the passenger side rear tire. All the tires have 31,000 miles left so I will be looking at new tires in the not too distant future. I've scheduled service but it's over 2 weeks out and the leak seems to be getting worse plus taking a day to go into a service center (it's 35 miles away) seems excessive for the problem. I've called around and some tire shops will look at it, some won't. The leak seems to get worse while the car is idle but not really sure.My questions are.

1. Should I just get a set of new tires though the existing tires appear to have 5-9 thousand miles left. Since the car is leased do I pay for these? If so, what brand would I be required to buy?
2. I've called around - we have several tire shops in the vicinity - to get the leak fixed. Some places don't want to mess with Teslas others are willing to look at it. I like this option as it's the quickest way for me to solve the problem (I do have a compressor but worry about the leak getting suddenly worse while driving). Any recommendations on tire chains here?

Thanks to anyone who wishes to chime in here.

Hi Bruce,
Sounds like you probably have a screw in your tire that lets air out regularly. You should be able to find a tire store to fix that. Many Tesla owners have had good luck with Discount Tire (called America's Tire in some regions). They typically fix these type of issues for free with the hope that you will buy tires from them in the future.

Tires on a leased car are your responsibility. Tesla Service Centers tend to be pretty expensive for tires; you can usually do better at a 3rd party tire store. They should be able to look up your car model and recommend the correct tires. Some tires are in short supply these days. How long is left on your lease?

Agree, take it to a tire store like Discount Tire and have them patch it. Any tire store that says they don’t mess with Tesla tires should be avoided, and don‘t buy from them!

While you are at the store talk with the tech and discuss options based on the remaining tread. Your lease requires you to return the car with four matched tires (this does not mean the same tires it came with), with all tires at or above a defined depth - but not necessarily the same depth. I think the minimum depth is in your lease.

Hi Bruce,
Sounds like you probably have a screw in your tire that lets air out regularly. You should be able to find a tire store to fix that. Many Tesla owners have had good luck with Discount Tire (called America's Tire in some regions). They typically fix these type of issues for free with the hope that you will buy tires from them in the future.

Tires on a leased car are your responsibility. Tesla Service Centers tend to be pretty expensive for tires; you can usually do better at a 3rd party tire store. They should be able to look up your car model and recommend the correct tires. Some tires are in short supply these days. How long is left on your lease?
Thanks Randy! That's helpful to me.

Agree, take it to a tire store like Discount Tire and have them patch it. Any tire store that says they don’t mess with Tesla tires should be avoided, and don‘t buy from them!

While you are at the store talk with the tech and discuss options based on the remaining tread. Your lease requires you to return the car with four matched tires (this does not mean the same tires it came with), with all tires at or above a defined depth - but not necessarily the same depth. I think the minimum depth is in your lease.
Thanks for you thoughts

Ironically, we had the same issue with that same passenger rear tire, but it was on our hybrid car. In our case, it was leaking only about 1/2 psi per day and it was leaking around the rim. Discount tire took it off the rim, resealed it, remounted it and the problem went away. A 2or 3 psi leak per day sounds like something more along the lines of a screw or nail.

Reactions: BruceInFlorida
I have a leased Model 3 AWD that over the last few weeks has developed a slow leak (2-3 psi a day) in the passenger side rear tire. All the tires have 31,000 miles left so I will be looking at new tires in the not too distant future. I've scheduled service but it's over 2 weeks out and the leak seems to be getting worse plus taking a day to go into a service center (it's 35 miles away) seems excessive for the problem. I've called around and some tire shops will look at it, some won't. The leak seems to get worse while the car is idle but not really sure.My questions are.

1. Should I just get a set of new tires though the existing tires appear to have 5-9 thousand miles left. Since the car is leased do I pay for these? If so, what brand would I be required to buy?
2. I've called around - we have several tire shops in the vicinity - to get the leak fixed. Some places don't want to mess with Teslas others are willing to look at it. I like this option as it's the quickest way for me to solve the problem (I do have a compressor but worry about the leak getting suddenly worse while driving). Any recommendations on tire chains here?

If you have a performance with track mode, go find an empty lot and drift the heck out of it until the tires are done, then get new tires.

Or just take the wheel and tire off and take it to discount tire. Then they don't mess with a Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: tm1v2

You get better prices at Discount Tires than Tesla. They also don't take 2 weeks to get tires on the car. You may want to ask the local shop to see if they have them in stock.

I'd address the immediate leak by checking with any of the local repair shops, service stations, etc. that use plug kits. I have the Safety Seal kit and just plugged one of my tires that had a pretty big bolt in it. Took me 10 minutes and a pair of good pliers.

Same here on my wife's 2018 Tesla Model 3. Just cannot get her to submit for a service call. I have to drag out my compressor at least every 7-10 to add 10lbs. of air pressure. I'm going to get her a portable cordless tire pump for XMAS and show her how to do it herself.
(I'll tell her my compressor broke) That should motivate her to schedule service.