Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the best way to recondition the battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a search on this but was not able to locate the answer:

I purchased new Model S-100D in 2018 and now have over 120,000+miles.

The battery when new was rated at 330miles.

Charge at home most of the time and when I charge to full with the charger that puts in 24miles for every hour will top out at 300. (I do not fully charge every day – only on road trips that are about 3 times a week and then hit a super charger on the road to get home).

My question is - What is the best way to recondition the battery to try and get back to 330 miles or close to it?

I plan on keeping this car long term.

Thanks for everyone time and help

So can the car only travel 300 miles on a charge? Is it that you want it to display that it can go 330 no matter how far it can actually go? If the former, nothing you can do will restore the mileage as the battery is actually degraded, if the latter, well, it really doesn't matter, does it.

Reactions: aerodyne and DavidB
You probably have a fully calibrated battery given your behaviors.
Those of us that spend time between 40 and 70% exclusively need occasional recalibration. Although I am one of those that rarely charges to 80% but when I do charge to 100%, it is pretty stable. Wavers between 216 and 218 over the last 2 years. My original was 240 and I am 6 years out and 90k miles.
Calibration is done by going close to 0% and then all the way back to 100%. Make sure you sit at 100% on the charger for a little while (how long is hard to say but certainly until it stops charging). Do that a few times. Not great for your battery but will calibrate the BMS.
At 300 and 10% loss, you should just not worry about it. You maybe at 290 when you hit 200k miles.

Reactions: Dale Hoppas

Have a look over at the above I just posted a short note on the degradation one can expect at 50k and 150k.

It is normal of EV batteries to slowly take degradation, but if you follow the 20 to 80 recharging rule of thumb, you should get over 837,000 miles or 1.3 million km's before you battery has degraded to 85% of original OEM range.

Thus using the 20-80 rule I expect my MX to have a long life and last me the next 30 years.

Food for thought,
Cheers, Hugh-SG

You probably have a fully calibrated battery given your behaviors.
Those of us that spend time between 40 and 70% exclusively need occasional recalibration. Although I am one of those that rarely charges to 80% but when I do charge to 100%, it is pretty stable. Wavers between 216 and 218 over the last 2 years. My original was 240 and I am 6 years out and 90k miles.
Calibration is done by going close to 0% and then all the way back to 100%. Make sure you sit at 100% on the charger for a little while (how long is hard to say but certainly until it stops charging). Do that a few times. Not great for your battery but will calibrate the BMS.
At 300 and 10% loss, you should just not worry about it. You maybe at 290 when you hit 200k miles.
Thanks !!!