Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the CF spoiler option?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BerTX

Supporting Member
May 2, 2014
Texas/Washington
I've looked pretty carefully at the spy photos of the MX that we've seen so far, and haven't seen a CF spoiler ala the one on the MS -- a non-functional bling piece.

The MX actually has a functional spoiler. When the option for a CF spoiler showed up on the configuration, I didn't know what that was. Will the moving spoiler be body colored normally, with the option to have the whole spoiler be CF? Will there be an add-on CF piece stuck on like the MS?

I've looked pretty carefully at the spy photos of the MX that we've seen so far, and haven't seen a CF spoiler ala the one on the MS -- a non-functional bling piece.

The MX actually has a functional spoiler. When the option for a CF spoiler showed up on the configuration, I didn't know what that was. Will the moving spoiler be body colored normally, with the option to have the whole spoiler be CF? Will there be an add-on CF piece stuck on like the MS?

I don't know what the Model X CF spoiler looks like. I do know that the Spoiler on Model S isn't just a bling piece... at least according to what Tesla has told us, it helps increase range.

Just another of the many, many questions yet to be answered about Model X!

I don't know either. Hoping it's not an add on but a body colored version of what's already on there. I fail to see the point though unless it's a significant weight reduction or has some other functionality I just don't see yet.

I like the add on to the S. My kinda bling and somewhat functional too.

I don't know what the Model X CF spoiler looks like. I do know that the Spoiler on Model S isn't just a bling piece... at least according to what Tesla has told us, it helps increase range.

Just another of the many, many questions yet to be answered about Model X!

Maybe it does help range, but I'm not familiar with the aerodynamic function the optional spoiler on the MS performs to that effect. As important as range is to Tesla, I find it hard to believe that such a simple fix wouldn't have been applied to all cars if it made an increase in range. Actually if anything, it likely decreases range as most rear spoilers increase drag. The MX spoiler placement helps raise the effective height of the rear deck to the level it should have been at for minimum drag -- the rear window has too steep of a slope for maximum efficiency.

Maybe it does help range, but I'm not familiar with the aerodynamic function the optional spoiler on the MS performs to that effect. As important as range is to Tesla, I find it hard to believe that such a simple fix wouldn't have been applied to all cars if it made an increase in range. Actually if anything, it likely decreases range as most rear spoilers increase drag. The MX spoiler placement helps raise the effective height of the rear deck to the level it should have been at for minimum drag -- the rear window has too steep of a slope for maximum efficiency.
It reduces the size of the low pressure zone at the back of the vehicle and thus reduces drag.

I'm pretty sure this video has been posted before.

Sports Car Aerodynamics: Spoiler Alert! - YouTube

Here's another graphic...

image.jpg

Found that here...

Aerodynamics

Cheers!