Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the cheapest Ontario EVIP approved charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As someone else mentioned the 200 Amp requirement will be determined by the load calculation that the electrician performs. In the case of an EV charger the load is counted at 100% so it adds a lot to the load calculation. A Nema 14-50 however would not be counted at 100% load so where you may not be able to fit the HWPC in the 100 Amp service you may be able to fit the Nema 14-50. That's the balance I'm trying to strike right now with the electricians I'm negotiating with. I'm right on the border of needing the upgrade. Right now it looks like I can just upgrade the breaker to 125 Amp and get the Nema 14-50 and be done. What I want to find out is whether I could then throw a plug on the HWPC, set it to 40 amps (or even 32 amps) and plug it in to the Nema 14-50 outlet and pass inspection. I mean practically it should work (there's zero difference) but not sure practical matters in this case :) The fact is that the HWPC, even running at 32 Amp, would be as cheap or cheaper than a second mobile charger if I can get the 50% discount on it.

Reactions: 03DSG
The 200Amp is not EVIP requirements, and I never said that. I said that you need 200Amp service for getting the certificate based on normal electricity usage situation here in Canada. You can say that I don’t have a dryer, I uses gas cooking and I don’t have air con. In that case you could be certified with 100Amp. If you have two of above, you need 200Amp to be certified.

That’s incorrect information. Everyone’s home electrical use is different. As mentioned above one needs a load calculation done first. Once that’s done you can add a circuit limited in amps by the load calculation. You can still have electrical appliances AND a car charging circuit that will pass inspection on a 100 amp circuit. It may just be limited to less than the max amps the car can accept.

That’s incorrect information. Everyone’s home electrical use is different. As mentioned above one needs a load calculation done first. Once that’s done you can add a circuit limited in amps by the load calculation. You can still have electrical appliances AND a car charging circuit that will pass inspection on a 100 amp circuit. It may just be limited to less than the max amps the car can accept.

I like that answer better and will cross my fingers that I don't need 200A. :)

I am an electrical contractor....switch your hot water or stove to gas or you will have enough for the charger...if that is not an option as long as you have space on the panelboard you may still have room to put the charger on the 100A service.

A lot of people get 50A hot tubs on 100A services and these run 24/7...chargers can be set to work at night when everyone is sleeping.

I only have 100 amp main breaker. Many times I have used electric dryer with my car taking full 48amps. First time when using both simultaneously, i was scared, and stayed with the main board for few minutes. Now I have full confidence in my install.

The 200Amp is not EVIP requirements, and I never said that. I said that you need 200Amp service for getting the certificate based on normal electricity usage situation here in Canada. You can say that I don’t have a dryer, I uses gas cooking and I don’t have air con. In that case you could be certified with 100Amp. If you have two of above, you need 200Amp to be certified.
So anyone with an electric stove and AC needs to upgrade to 200A to have the inspection pass?

Any owners in here that have a stove and AC that didn’t upgrade to 100A?

So anyone with an electric stove and AC needs to upgrade to 200A to have the inspection pass?

Any owners in here that have a stove and AC that didn’t upgrade to 100A?
I think majority of houses have 100 amps, no need to upgrade to 100A. My house is 30 years old and I have 100 amps service. I never upgraded my service, and got my rebate twice. Though my stove is gas, dryer is still electric.

If someone is doing an upgrade, and running new line from main. They may consider for running AWG2x3 wire, even though awg6x3 cable is good for now. This will allow you add separate charger or upgrade the car with dual charger which needs 90A circuit. Tesla charger can supports up to 72A.

Like I stated earlier and other have too, a load calculation will determine what needs to be done and at what setting the charger is set to.

Its not just stove and dryer or AC, it's also finished basements and so on. Every house and scenario is different. Bigger house more plugs, more lights etc....

Have electrician come in and they will tell you what your options are. We could have left 100amp service if HWPC was set at lower setting, but I wanted max power

Reactions: Whisky and 03DSG
Like I stated earlier and other have too, a load calculation will determine what needs to be done and at what setting the charger is set to.

Its not just stove and dryer or AC, it's also finished basements and so on. Every house and scenario is different. Bigger house more plugs, more lights etc....

Have electrician come in and they will tell you what your options are. We could have left 100amp service if HWPC was set at lower setting, but I wanted max power

Yes, that what I mean. Stove , AC and dryer , if you have two, you certainly need a 200 amp service to install ev charger. The inspector will not consider you not use all the device at once. They only calculate the maximum usage to be safe. To help with the calculations, stove normally counts 40 amp , Ac counts 30 - 40 amp, dryer counts 30 amp. EV charger minimum counts 30 amp.

Yes, that what I mean. Stove , AC and dryer , if you have two, you certainly need a 200 amp service to install ev charger. The inspector will not consider you not use all the device at once. They only calculate the maximum usage to be safe. To help with the calculations, stove normally counts 40 amp , Ac counts 30 - 40 amp, dryer counts 30 amp. EV charger minimum counts 30 amp.

That’s incorrect info. Basically just wrong. Read the thread.
Are you aware that your CB’s can add up to well over double your service amps?
A 100 amp service can easily have well over 200 amps worth of CB’s.
Many 100 amp services with electrical appliances can still support a car charger.
Wherever you got ‘more than 2 electrical appliances requires 200 amp service for a car charger’ is wrong. Every case is different and requires a load calculation.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
That’s incorrect info. Basically just wrong. Read the thread.
Are you aware that your CB’s can add up to well over double your service amps?
A 100 amp service can easily have well over 200 amps worth of CB’s.
Many 100 amp services with electrical appliances can still support a car charger.
Wherever you got ‘more than 2 electrical appliances requires 200 amp service for a car charger’ is wrong. Every case is different and requires a load calculation.

My info is wrong? Please do not w pass wrong info by saying other ppl’s comments are wrong while himself never installed EV chargers.

Let me know if anyone have AC Stove Dryer (at least two of them) and try to install EV charger and get certificate.

My comments are based on my real experience by installing the EV charger and get the certificate. I have told it is impossible by multiple electricians (to compare the price, I at least talked to 5 different electricians) while I install my EV charger for my Nissan Leaf. And also while inspector came to my house, I double confirmed that 200Amp is needed.

• Disagree
My info is wrong? Please do not w pass wrong info by saying other ppl’s comments are wrong while himself never installed EV chargers.

Let me know if anyone have AC Stove Dryer (at least two of them) and try to install EV charger and get certificate.

My comments are based on my real experience by installing the EV charger and get the certificate. I have told it is impossible by multiple electricians (to compare the price, I at least talked to 5 different electricians) while I install my EV charger for my Nissan Leaf. And also while inspector came to my house, I double confirmed that 200Amp is needed.

I’m done.

Reactions: markol
just realized this myself... so I'm getting quotes on an upgrade to 200a.
If I go to a 200a service - I'll definitely have more overhead - so could I install a larger breaker and increase the setting on the Tesla Wall Charger ?

Yes you could install 90amp breaker and have wall charger set to max. No need to install 100amp breaker unless you plan on getting second wall charger. They would share one breaker.

Wall charger will be set to 72amp on 90 amp breaker

Also I remember electrician explaining to me that just because the load calculation let's say is 97 and you have 100amp doesn't mean you will pass inspection. There was a certain percentage of buffer that was required. Don't remember exactly what it was though.
Better safe than sorry scenario

Last edited:
The electrician calculation will determine how high in Amperage you can go for EV charger on 100A service. If you're 'too close to' or exceed limit with Tesla charger or even NEMA 14-50, you might find NEMA 14-30 with UMC is fine (cheapest too BTW)....
Check out the chart below from Tesla website (accessories)... e.g. If you're buying a M3 and you charge at night say 8 hours on 14-30 at off peak rates = 176 miles (290klm) of charge... that's plenty 95+ % of the time .
upload_2018-5-1_15-50-27.png

Last edited: