Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the cheapest Ontario EVIP approved charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those of you that are trying to get a quick idea about their total approved electrical load for their home (as viewed by the Canadian Electrical Code (CEC)), here's an online load calculator[1] that also references the code sections that apply (please note this is based on 2012 code, not the current 2015 code). You will need to know how much power ("Wattage") your various "appliances" use -- if in doubt, multiply the breaker rating (e.g. 40A) by the voltage of the breaker (either 120V or 240V for most in Canada) to get the maximum "Wattage" for the circuit the appliance is on.

Please note that circuit load is usually limited to 80% of the breaker rating, and that applies to the whole house as well. So for a typical 240V 100A home service, you are limited by the CEC to a load rating of 80A at 240V (e.g. 19200 Watts). The Model 3 maximum charging load using AC is 48A at 240V (11520 Watts), but requires a 60A circuit to supply that. Also, as previously stated by others, the EV charging circuit is classified as a continuous load (even if you only use it for 3-4 hours a night), hence why people have been saying that in general, you will need a 200A service to get approved for a high current charging circuit.

The 2015 Canadian Electrical Code (CEC) can be found (without spending any money to buy an official copy) by searching Google for "canadian electrical code part 1" (look for the PDF link on wildbillretail.com), or it can usually be found at a local library (usually available for in library use only). (I am intentionally not including a direct link as I'm not sure it's legit to publish the document, or if the site is really a site anyone wants to deal with, but it does have the PDF of the CEC...use at your discretion.)

See section 86 for EV charger information and section 8-200 for load calculations for homes.

Please also note that each province typically has additional layers/details/clarifications on top of the CEC that apply to those provinces. Consult with your local electrical safety authority; for Ontario, that's the ESA[2].

As to if the electrical safety inspector will ask for a load calculation during inspection or not, your mileage may vary.

The licensed professionals I consulted with in my area (Ottawa, Ontario) varied from doing the calculation (and finding I'm "on the edge for a 60A service for the car" with a 200A home service -- with natural gas for hot water, dryer and furnace -- have A/C and elec. stove, no other large loads) to not really being all that bothered (because "you're going to charge at night and you'll never really hit the 80% in practical usage").

Also, if you are doing the work yourself, you need to "pull" a permit within 48 hours of starting any electrical work and have 1 year to complete the work and get your final inspection.

Please note that I am not a licensed electrician, but have done some electrical work before and I have done lots of reading (about 3 weeks worth of reading and research) for my own install of my HPWC, which I will be getting inspected shortly (first I need to make sure I'm easily within the 90-day window required to apply for the rebate) -- just before arrival of my Model 3.

Disclaimer/Warning:
If you have trouble understanding the code, or aren't prepared to do lots of reading and learn about it, consult a licensed professional. Electrical work done incorrectly can be dangerous or fatal.

[1] Canadian Residential Electrical Service Size Calculator
[2] Home - EsaSafe

Note that it seems that the 2018 Canadian Electrical Code has been released and has some changes related to EV chargers. I haven't yet located a copy that is not paywalled (other than I expect local libraries may have a copy for use at the library -- they usually do).

See this thread ON electrical code - 2018 changes for vehicle charger load calcs for a reference to some of the relevant highlights.
The 2018 code is not currently enforced. Each Province is currently reviewing it. ESA advised us, for ONTARIO, they expect it to be enacted in early 2019, and enforced by May 2019. Other provinces -?-

• Informative
Reactions: rdturner0
Hello everyone, looking for some help from any in house electricians / experienced members who has installed a HPWC or using NEMA adaptors.

Looks like I have a 6-50 plug already installed in the garage (yay!). All the fuses in both boxes are GP 15A. It appears the previous owner of the house had a workshop in that corner. Aside from the "bathtub" fuse and the breaker panel #2, the other fuse lines leads to standard power sockets for household electronics/power tools.

My questions are:

1. Do I need to buy the 6-50 plug adaptor from the TESLA store or does that come with the M3 mobile charger? (Is this covered by the rebate?)

2. Could I repurpose #2 breaker panel/box and use that line for the HPWC? It leads off to the right to the next wall (center of the garage); perfect place for the HPWC.

3. Or should I stick to the 6-50 plug here and upgrade the Amperage for the fuses?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Overview of connections Overview_01.jpg

Breaker panel w/ ON/OFF switch face #2 panel face.jpg
Breaker panel insides #2 Panel insides.jpg

Hello everyone, looking for some help from any in house electricians / experienced members who has installed a HPWC or using NEMA adaptors.

Looks like I have a 6-50 plug already installed in the garage (yay!). All the fuses in both boxes are GP 15A. It appears the previous owner of the house had a workshop in that corner. Aside from the "bathtub" fuse and the breaker panel #2, the other fuse lines leads to standard power sockets for household electronics/power tools.

My questions are:

1. Do I need to buy the 6-50 plug adaptor from the TESLA store or does that come with the M3 mobile charger? (Is this covered by the rebate?)

2. Could I repurpose #2 breaker panel/box and use that line for the HPWC? It leads off to the right to the next wall (center of the garage); perfect place for the HPWC.

3. Or should I stick to the 6-50 plug here and upgrade the Amperage for the fuses?

Overview of connectionsView attachment 300117

Breaker panel w/ ON/OFF switch face View attachment 300115
Breaker panel insides View attachment 300116

Haven’t seen screw in fuses for a while. How many amps flowing to the 6-50 as can’t see the breakers for it? You may need a panel upgrade to CB’s. Best to check with electrician.

My questions are:

Overview of connectionsView attachment 300117

Breaker panel w/ ON/OFF switch face View attachment 300115
Breaker panel insides View attachment 300116
Disclosure: I sell fuses for a living (Mersen)
Plug fuses have a maximum amperage of 30 amps, and are available in fast acting (eg GP15) or time-delay (TD15 or TC-15)
None of these would feed a 50 amp plug (6-50). Is it fed from the indoor panel? - OR did someone protect the 6-50 with 15 amp fuses, as they had a small load on it?
What size of breaker/fuse is feeding this sub-panel?

It looks like you may have to re-wire your 6-50

• Informative
Reactions: akidesir
Plug fuses have a maximum amperage of 30 amps, and are available in fast acting (eg GP15) or time-delay (TD15 or TC-15)
None of these would feed a 50 amp plug (6-50). Is it fed from the indoor panel? - OR did someone protect the 6-50 with 15 amp fuses, as they had a small load on it?

The in feed line into the main panel on the right comes up from the floor. I'll trace it once I clean the garage a bit. It looks like it may be a split from the main at the meter. One going into the basement and one going into the garage. Will report back!

Hiya DMC,

Traced the line back to the main panel in the basement and it looks like this.

Mains = 100A fuses.
upload_2018-5-14_12-14-45.png
Side Panel to Garage = 60A fuses.

upload_2018-5-14_12-27-55.png
Panel in the garage = 45A fuses again (? please explain this, is this going to the side panel where the 6-15's are?)
And the side panel in the garage = 15A fuses to a pair of NEMA 6-15 plugs.

From the looks of this set up, the NEMA 6-50 is supplied with 60A (assuming it's coming straight off the in from the basement).

Question (I think I know the answer as the previous owner did welding in the garage).
1. Do I need a 60A breaker to replace this panel with the 45A fuses? Or a breaker in the previous panel in the basement?

2. Can I get away with buying the adaptors 6-15 (for slow charging) and a 6-50 for a quicker 48km/h charge w/o a breaker?

Thank you in advance for your knowledge.

Cheers,
Jack

Hiya DMC,

Traced the line back to the main panel in the basement and it looks like this.

Mains = 100A fuses.
View attachment 301067
Side Panel to Garage = 60A fuses.

View attachment 301071
Panel in the garage = 45A fuses again (? please explain this, is this going to the side panel where the 6-15's are?)
And the side panel in the garage = 15A fuses to a pair of NEMA 6-15 plugs.

From the looks of this set up, the NEMA 6-50 is supplied with 60A (assuming it's coming straight off the in from the basement).

Question (I think I know the answer as the previous owner did welding in the garage).
1. Do I need a 60A breaker to replace this panel with the 45A fuses? Or a breaker in the previous panel in the basement?

2. Can I get away with buying the adaptors 6-15 (for slow charging) and a 6-50 for a quicker 48km/h charge w/o a breaker?

Thank you in advance for your knowledge.

Cheers,
Jack
A whole pile of ugly there (sorry)
I don't know if that 100 amp switch is fed from your main panel, or is your main feed from Hydro
The 100 amp fused switch is feeding a 60 amp sub- panel, which in turn feeds a (sub-sub) panel with a 45 amp main, and a NEMA 6-50 plug. The 45 amp main may, or may not feed the NEMA 6-50, and should feed the 15 amp (sub-sub-sub) panel (the one with the Fusetron plug fuses) feeding the 6-15, 240 volt duplex receptacle.

I do not know if the cable is the correct wire gauge to meet Canadian Electric Code

FYI - The fuses in these panels are at least 41 years old - the CEFCO fuses were made in the Toronto factory prior to the name change in 1977. The plug fuses look newer.

Well, a new breaker panel would be nice, and you could have a 12 circuit sub-panel being fed from the 60 amp fuse panel. I don't know why the main fuses in this panel were 45 amp

Can I get away with buying the adaptors 6-15 (for slow charging) and a 6-50 for a quicker 48km/h charge w/o a breaker?
The 6-15 amp adapter - yes. The 6-50 - unlikely. It is probably fed from the 45 amp main fuses in this panel

It looks fine to be using the 6-15 plug, and the other 120 volt plugs. I'd change out the cartridge fuses to be CRN45/TR45R and CRN60/TR60R. This will allow for inrush current upon start up.
The 60 amp feed from the inside sub-panel could feed a 6-50 ( or a 14-50 ), but little else. The 6-50 or 14-50 require a 50 amp fuse or breaker to deliver 40 amps to the plug. Suggestion: Change the fuses to time delay (CRN60 or TR60R)

But - alternatively.....

Suggestion 1 - Hire an electrician to either pull a 100 amp line into a sub-panel, and feed everything you need in the garage. It will be circuit breakers, as most insurance companies really don't like fuses in residential applications.
Suggestion 2 - Hire an electrician to install a NEMA 14-50 from the sub-sub panel instead of the current series of products in your garage. they can advise you what else may be added on a 60 amp feed ( it may not be much).
Suggestion 3 - (not recommended unless you know what you are doing) Get a permit yourself, and install a NEMA 14-50 plug using existing wiring. Get it inspected. The box, connectors and receptacle are available from any electrical wholesaler

Thanks
Murray

Last edited:
We used The Electrical Works Ltd., Mississauga electricians
They are a Tesla recommended installer.

Thx HugoBoss,

Will give them a call to help me out

I called 3 local electricians and The Electrical Works was the quickest.
Wayne Lewis personally came to my home this morning for an on-site inspection.

Lucky for me, my 28 year old home has a 200 amp electrical panel.
My quote will be sent to me this week.

As a summary, Wayne is a true professional who also does a lot of
the Tesla warranty work.

Interestingly, Tesla is replacing the original HPWC with the new improved HPWC
[email protected] or 416-252-0561
Tell him Domenic from TMC sent you

Reactions: Viv ki Bijli
A little off-topic, but can the Tesla wall connector be plugged in directly into a NEMA 14-50 outlet without requiring electrical work/an electrician?
For a UMC with 14-50 adapter: If the 14-50 receptacle is in place and protected correctly (proper wiring, 50 amp fuse/breaker), I don't see any issue...

If not installed....
It depends on your state/province
In Ontario, a permit is required to install a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. The work may be done by the homeowner, but must be wired per Code requirements, and pass electrical inspection. Other jurisdictions vary.

Last edited:
For a UMC with 14-50 adapter: If the 14-50 receptacle is in place and protected correctly (proper wiring, 50 amp fuse/breaker), I don't see any issue...

If not installed....
It depends on your state/province
In Ontario, a permit is required to install a NEMA 14-50 receptacle. The work may be done by the homeowner, but must be wired per Code requirements, and pass electrical inspection. Other jurisdictions vary.

I have a NEMA 14-50 installed by electrician for new construction but was wondering if I can plug-in a wall connector directly and not use the UMC or will that require wiring in the wall connector?

I have a NEMA 14-50 installed by electrician for new construction but was wondering if I can plug-in a wall connector directly and not use the UMC or will that require wiring in the wall connector?
I'm not sure what you mean by "a wall connector"
There are many level 2 J1772 EVSE that have a male 14-50 plug....they could be plugged in without a problem
Juicebox Pro40 Plug
Elmec EVC30-14-50 (Canadian mfg)
SunCountry (Clipper Creek) EV40P
The Tesla HPWC comes ready to be hardwired....are you proposing the use of portable cord and a male 14-50 plug? I don't believe that the HPWC would keep it's UL certification for that purpose.
Note: for a brief period, Amazon/Tesla was selling a corded, 14-50 plug, HPWC, fully UL listed. You might still find one on ebay

I'm not sure what you mean by "a wall connector"
There are many level 2 J1772 EVSE that have a male 14-50 plug....they could be plugged in without a problem
Juicebox Pro40 Plug
Elmec EVC30-14-50 (Canadian mfg)
SunCountry (Clipper Creek) EV40P
The Tesla HPWC comes ready to be hardwired....are you proposing the use of portable cord and a male 14-50 plug? I don't believe that the HPWC would keep it's UL certification for that purpose.
Note: for a brief period, Amazon/Tesla was selling a corded, 14-50 plug, HPWC, fully UL listed. You might still find one on ebay

Sorry, I meant the Tesla HPWC.

Sorry, I meant the Tesla HPWC.
You could certainly buy a 14-50 range cord and attach it to the HPWC with a cord grip. It should perform as designed - at the 40 amp setting.

BUT - As the HPWC can be dialed up to 72 amps (80 if an old series) it could be problematic......
As mentioned in a previous post, it may effect the UL approval on the device (HPWC), if it was intended to be hard wired alone. You need to ask someone who understands the UL standard for this device.

In the mean time - use your UMC with the 14-50 adapter

Sorry, I can't advise you on this

• Informative
Reactions: lux_cars
As the HPWC can be dialed up to 72 amps (80 if an old series) it could be problematic......

As mentioned in a previous post, it may effect the UL approval on the device (HPWC), if it was intended to be hard wired alone. You need to ask someone who understands the UL standard for this device.

The HPWC manual shows how the device can be configured internally to support various feeder circuits. It's just a set of dip switches on the circuit board. The 'lowest' setting is a 40A circuit.