Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the circular grille above the USB ports?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know the purpose of the circular grille in the middle of the center stack pictured below? I have no idea what this is for and realized that it is present on some loaners I've driven, but not on my own signature series car.

upload_2016-3-23_9-28-56.png

Aspirator to suck in cabin air to more accurately determine interior temps.

Mine doesn't have it either (early 2013 car), and I've noticed the phone app reports some suspect internal temps.

Okay. That makes sense! A loaner car I was driving this week had been driven by a smoker and the grille holes were nearly plugged with brown tar. If it's sucking in air, that makes sense.

While we're on it, how about the grille on the ceiling above the rear view mirror? Is that just for the microphone? It seems strangely big to just be a mic.

Okay. That makes sense! A loaner car I was driving this week had been driven by a smoker and the grille holes were nearly plugged with brown tar. If it's sucking in air, that makes sense.

While we're on it, how about the grille on the ceiling above the rear view mirror? Is that just for the microphone? It seems strangely big to just be a mic.

Yup... actually it's a pair of mics oriented opposite directions of each other for coverage/noise cancellation operation.

It's definitely the cabin temp sensor. On older cars the same sensor is hidden next to the steering wheel opening. It has a tiny fan to draw air in.

The grill on the headliner is the 2 mics for handsfree and as ArcticSun mentioned, on EU-spec cars they add a module with a mic for the security system. You can just grab the front edge and yank down to take a look, it'll snap right back in place. Good hiding place for extra cash (at least until I mentioned this in a public forum! =)

• Funny
Reactions: Kalud and Andyw2100