Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the clearance issue with snow chains on M3P?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hopefully someone might be able to shed some light on this.

Tesla says conventional diamond snow chains are ok on Model 3 with 18/19 inch wheels, but not 20".

Given that the overall diameter of the tyre itself is virtually identical regardless of 18/19/20", does anyone know specifically where the clearance issue occurs on the Performance?

Is the issue related to the 10mm drop of the suspension, causing chains to rub inside the wheel arch, or is it that it can get fouled up in the suspension?

I've recently switched my P to 18's and now curious if I can run conventional snow chains without issue.

Reactions: AZHobos
Hopefully someone might be able to shed some light on this.

Tesla says conventional diamond snow chains are ok on Model 3 with 18/19 inch wheels, but not 20".

Given that the overall diameter of the tyre itself is virtually identical regardless of 18/19/20", does anyone know specifically where the clearance issue occurs on the Performance?

Is the issue related to the 10mm drop of the suspension, causing chains to rub inside the wheel arch, or is it that it can get fouled up in the suspension?

I've recently switched my P to 18's and now curious if I can run conventional snow chains without issue.
Maybe the tyres are wider on the larger wheel?

I have successfully fitted several models w Security - Peerless snow cables -- it's IMPORTANT to CHECK the clearances after installation beFORE one tries to drive with them -- ;)
in Australia some ski resorts are strict about the type of chains that are allowed - and you have to have them to get in
as I understand it, the requirement is chains in a diamond layout

Mt Hotham's requirements

@schnaxxl is right, some of them are very strict. Especially Hotham. Tesla does make some spider chains for the M3P but they would get knocked back in several places.

I have spent a bit of time looking around at alternatives in diamond pattern without a lot of luck.