Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the closest fuel car in size to the Teslas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No......being an object of desire makes something worth a lot of money, but there are lots of things that cost a lot of money that aren't luxury, or luxurious. Supply and demand can artificially increase cost, but they don't increase quality.
Exactly. A Charger Hellcat is expensive (more than many Mercedes for example) but it not classified as a luxury car by anyone. Just becouse it cost more money (except for speeding tickets of course) or will save you time traveling from point to point (really fast car) no one will call it a "Luxury" car.

Lexus IS lines are very similar in size and price to Model 3. My previous car was a 2012 Lexus and in fact it ran so well that I gave it to my mom to drive. Unlike a BMW, nothing breaks in the Lexus for the first 8 years. I would definitely consider the Lexus IS lines as an ICE competitor to the Model 3. And Lexus services are amazing. If Lexus starts making EVs, I will probably switch over as my next car.

Honestly, as I saw that you are planning to get a Tesla soon, I suggest renting one (3 or Y) for a weekend on Turo, drive few hundred miles in it and I'm fairly sure you'll get your answer. Either way it will go, it will be your own judgement at that point....
I have sat/rode in 3/Y Tesla's 4 times, played with features, literally looked under the carpets.
Gobs of creature features, but our 2016 Honda Civic has all the same features except the lumbar support and some software features.
Compared to our 2004 Corolla, night and day, and 18 years difference.

What I do see is a finely polished piece of art-nuvo artwork vs a clunky hap-hazard machine.

I have sat/rode in 3/Y Tesla's 4 times, played with features, literally looked under the carpets.
Gobs of creature features, but our 2016 Honda Civic has all the same features except the lumbar support and some software features.

What I do see is a finely polished piece of art-nuvo artwork vs a clunky hap-hazard machine.

I'm happy a 2016 civic has dual zone climate, wireless phone charging, keyless entry, 360 dashcam and sentry, advanced lane keeping cruise control, usb-c charging, 20+ memory function, power adjust seats and wheel etc etc

May I ask what you do to afford such luxury? How often does the refilling truck top up your personal fuel pump? How much did it cost to install the ventilation system in your garage? I didn't know the 2016 Civic had PaaK. How does it compare to the 3/Y PaaK? I wasn't aware Honda took out the ignition/start button.

I'm still trying to acquire more TSLA so I can hopefully afford the luxury you're currently enjoying. Come one TSLA to 800!

Last edited:
Reactions: RobDickinson
I'm happy a 2016 civic has dual zone climate,
It does.
wireless phone charging
Optional, yes
keyless entry,
Yes (serious, it does have it!)
360 dashcam and sentry,
Ok, admit it does not. Software update wanting!
advanced lane keeping cruise control,
2016 Honda, built before the Model 3 was for sale. Not a fair comparison!
usb-c charging
Option
, 20+ memory function, power adjust seats
Power seat yes, memory no. At least had one.
and wheel etc etc
Ok, forgot about that steering wheel one. Manual adjust, no memory (again, built over a year before M3 was on sale)

Last edited:
May I ask what you do to afford such luxury? How often does the refilling truck top up your personal fuel pump? How much did it cost to install the ventilation system in your garage? I didn't know the 2016 Civic had PaaK. How does it compare to the 3/Y PaaK? I wasn't aware Honda took out the ignition/start button.
$16K, with nearly all the creature features of a 2021 M3 (not including what became common in the 5 years since)
Silly snide comments aside, while I do not have a PaaK option (again, an older car), I never have to touch the key to unlock car, unlock truck, or start the car (just keep it on me).

I know the new Civic has remote engine start / stop, so it may be pretty close to all features to a 2021 M3

PS, I do know the 2012 Nissan Leaf did have PaaK (Bluetooth or Wi-Fi connect), so that is not new for any car.

Model 3 is no more "Luxury" car than a modern Civic or Corolla, but it is better.

@MontyFloyd, first off, apologies.

Do you happen to have a running tally on your Civic's TCO?

As for PaaK, having the option to open/start the car w/o the keyfob (out of battery) is a luxury. I have used it once or twice. Wife's other items in purse must've wasted fob's battery because mine seems to last longer.

@MontyFloyd, first off, apologies.

Do you happen to have a running tally on your Civic's TCO?
I do not have Total Cost of Ownership, I will see how much fuel consumed (do not drive it much, <10,000 miles a year)
Some expenses I can think of:
Oil change is approximately $50, 3 to 4 times a year.
And FOB battery, $4 every 2 years, and wipers, $30 every 2 years.
Oh, and air filter, 2 to 3 years, forgot, $20?

In a couple of years will start doing more expensive maint. items.

As for PaaK, having the option to open/start the car w/o the keyfob (out of battery) is a luxury. I have used it once or twice. Wife's other items in purse must've wasted fob's battery because mine seems to last longer.
Always great to have a backup! :)
Good thing Tesla has the Key-Card (and even optional FOB), because I have inadvertently drained my phone battery a few times.
Either way,

Last edited: